• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dress code question

cph706

Mouseketeer
Sorry if this is a redundant question, but I was overwhelmed by the search results I got when I tried a forum search.

We're taking our first cruise ever on the Wonder March 28-April 1 (4 nights).:cool1: When my DS (age 11) was reading the booklet we received, he was upset to see that the dining room dress code says "no shorts". This is a kid who wears shorts all year round (right now there is snow on the ground, he's wearing shorts!). He did wear long pants to church on Christmas, but that's it. Can he wear shorts in the dining rooms? What about DH? We live in a casual boating town (Annapolis, MD), men wear "dress shorts" to restaurants all the time.

Is there a "dress up night"? Honestly, with the men in this family, that could be a deal-breaker!

Thanks for any input!

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but I was overwhelmed by the search results I got when I tried a forum search.

We're taking our first cruise ever on the Wonder March 28-April 1 (4 nights).:cool1: When my DS (age 11) was reading the booklet we received, he was upset to see that the dining room dress code says "no shorts". This is a kid who wears shorts all year round (right now there is snow on the ground, he's wearing shorts!). He did wear long pants to church on Christmas, but that's it. Can he wear shorts in the dining rooms? What about DH? We live in a casual boating town (Annapolis, MD), men wear "dress shorts" to restaurants all the time.

Is there a "dress up night"? Honestly, with the men in this family, that could be a deal-breaker!

Thanks for any input!

A boy of 11, would get away with smart shorts, no problem. There is a dress up night, not a formal night, its a guidline really on the Wonder, basically do not worry, even some adults do not dress up on formal nights on the Magic and are not turned away, unless its a bathing suit.

My son who is 11, is more 'smart' on formal nights on the Magic, he puts one of my ties on with a shirt, nothing too much. He has asked for a suit in the Blatic though,

My sons wore shorts on both the Magic and Wonder. We made them wear polo shirts with them though

I have worn nice dress shorts and a polo shirts to dinner and no one said anything. And for the formal nights it only a suggestions. I did cruise casual for my whole vacation plus on semi and formal nights I was in Parrot Cay for dinner. Not the place I want to get dress up in. It was more like let party.

He will probably be fine, but it may be a good opportunity to teach him that sometimes you have to wear pants even when you dont want too (not meaning to sound snarky).

We saw it all on our 4 night wonder a few weeks ago. It was my first cruise. We wore nicer jeans and fancier tops and the men wore nicer jeans and polos all cruise. There were SEVERAL families in shorts and tshirts looking like they just came from the theme park. The dining rooms are so big, you don't even notice what others are wearing. Wear what you want...but be respectful. I think shorts are fine as long as they are modest and clean.

Part of the problem stems from the fact that the dress requests are different on the two ships.

On the Wonder, there is NO request about shorts at dinner--it says only no tank tops. In another location, there is a note that shoes must be worn. THus, his shorts will be fine.

On the Magic, the request for no shorts or tank tops at dinner remains. No one will ever turn a guest away from the dining room provided they are not wearing swimwear without a cover up and they have shoes on, but the "no shorts" request remains.

On the Wonder, one night is listed as "Dress up optional." That basically says it. You'll see everything from shorts to jeans to a suit and tie on the dress up optional night.

Chalk it up to generational decorum degeneration. When I was in HS, we wore sportcoats and ties - students in that same HS today are just expected to not show up naked:)

When we first cruised 20+ years ago, you couldn't get into a dining room in the evening without a suitcoat and tie (any night) - now some cruise lines just ask you to not show up naked - except for one night when request you cover your body entirely with some form of clothing where all the parts connect with all the other parts. I'm actually surprised DCL holds up as much decorum as it does - although some try to stretch the limits as much as possible. Hint: shirts without sleeves are not cruise casual:rolleyes:

A boy of 11, would get away with smart shorts, no problem. There is a dress up night, not a formal night, its a guidline really on the Wonder, basically do not worry, even some adults do not dress up on formal nights on the Magic and are not turned away, unless its a bathing suit.

My son who is 11, is more 'smart' on formal nights on the Magic, he puts one of my ties on with a shirt, nothing too much. He has asked for a suit in the Blatic though,

Yes, and very handsome he looks Derek!

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I was thinking of "golf attire" for the DS...polo shirt, nice shorts.

He will probably be fine, but it may be a good opportunity to teach him that sometimes you have to wear pants even when you dont want too (not meaning to sound snarky).

I do agree with you, Matt M...it's just that with luggage space at a premium, I'd hate to bring long pants, then have him point out all the other kids NOT wearing them. I do pick my battles, just not on vacation!

Come on over to the Cruise Meets thread. THere are several of us on the March 28th cruise.... He(your son) could premeet some kids!

I posted this in reply to a similar question. I'm a single parent and my son is 12. What we did for for formal night for him was to get a pair of nicer perma press white shorts (not the long or baggy ones!) I had him wear a shirt and tie with a navy blazer and matching navy kneesocks. It was 'dressy" but not overly so and the formal experience was wonderful for him.

My son's (5 and 9) on our last cruise wore dress shorts and polo's to dinner except for the formal night I made them wear dress pants and button down shirts. I explained it was like going to church, you have to wear pants and after dinner in 1 1/2 hours you could put your shorts back on!

We are leaving on the Magic in 7 weeks and I am thinking that I want to get really formal on formal night (both the boys and my husband in tuxedo's) and get a nice family potrait done!! With no family weddings in the near future it may be the only opportunity we get. Still need to sell the idea to my husband, but I'm going to try!!

All dining wear is "suggested" aboard the Magic and Wonder. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Just wanted to mention we did dress appropriately on our cruise, but on cruise casual nights my DS (10) wore nice shorts and a collared shirt. To be perfectly honest I don’t remember what people were wearing in the dining rooms. Noticing other outfits was the least of my priorities. I don’t go to dinner with my family looking like slobs but if someone is that focused on what we have on to the point that they can’t enjoy their cruise (especially if it’s kids) I would say bigger issues exist. That’s just my opinion, no flames please.

Just wanted to mention we did dress appropriately on our cruise, but on cruise casual nights my DS (10) wore nice shorts and a collared shirt. To be perfectly honest I don’t remember what people were wearing in the dining rooms. Noticing other outfits was the least of my priorities. I don’t go to dinner with my family looking like slobs but if someone is that focused on what we have on to the point that they can’t enjoy their cruise (especially if it’s kids) I would say bigger issues exist. That’s just my opinion, no flames please.

Yeah! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter