Dress code for young boys at dinner

The moms panel has given incorrect info in other situations as well, and offered it more than once. If you truly want a difinitive answer I would call DCL, read them the statement from the website, and ask them if it applies to children.

Well that's good to know. I was getting a lot of info from them for the cruise. I thought they were the "experts". Now I'll double check some important suggestions I have read about.

Well that's good to know. I was getting a lot of info from them for the cruise. I thought they were the "experts". Now I'll double check some important suggestions I have read about.

I would. The are correct the vast majority of the time, but I got a piece of bad/ outdated info from them before our last trip and had to alter some plans.

The moms panel has given incorrect info in other situations as well, and offered it more than once. If you truly want a difinitive answer I would call DCL, read them the statement from the website, and ask them if it applies to children.

Just be aware that if you call and ask 3 different CMs this question, you'll probably get 3 different answers. ;)

Many of the CMs answering the phones have never been on a cruise, much less a Disney one. For the most part they answer questions from a script.

Just be aware that if you call and ask 3 different CMs this question, you'll probably get 3 different answers. ;)

Many of the CMs answering the phones have never been on a cruise, much less a Disney one. For the most part they answer questions from a script.

I didn't realize they were as bad as the parks phone CMs.

And I don't see the problem with a well behaved 16 or 17 year old in the adult areas. :confused3
That is completely different as they enforce that one where as they do not enforce the dress code.

DCL sets the rules and you either choose to follow them or think yourself exempted. If you exempt yourself from one rule, I don't really feel that you can say anything to someone who exempts themselves from a different rule.

DCL asks for no shorts in the dining room at dinner. It's each person's choice to follow the rule or not.

All I said was that DCL has decided that the rule about shorts in the dining room does not mater to them. Yes I know they have it written down as a rule but at the same time they don't seem to enforce it. Like I said in another post I have worn shorts into the MDR and so have table mates, none of us were asked to leave or told to go change. So I say until someone reports that they were turned away from the MDR's because they had on a pair of shorts it's fine to wear them.

For the record, I'm not going to notice what anyone else wears in the dining room. Unless its really fab, or horribly underdressed, it's not going to affect my experience. (That said, if my table mates show up in their bathing suits...) the reasons this thread irritates me is because the answer is stated in the question. What is really being asked is, " is it ok if I don't do it?" Then, we all come in and say no, and people get offended. What people want to hear is, " oh I'm sure your child will be darling whatever he wears." Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer. Also, this IS a hot button issue. Look at my stats. 2005 I've been here since, and I've got, what, 50 posts? I rarely find the need to ask a question because I can find out almost everything I need to know by a search. Yes, I'm a grouch. Yes, you can probably wear whatever you want in the MDRS and no one will say anything to you. It still isn't what they ask you to do. As everyone has said a mil times, that's your choice.

For the record, I'm not going to notice what anyone else wears in the dining room. Unless its really fab, or horribly underdressed, it's not going to affect my experience. (That said, if my table mates show up in their bathing suits...) the reasons this thread irritates me is because the answer is stated in the question. What is really being asked is, " is it ok if I don't do it?" Then, we all come in and say no, and people get offended. What people want to hear is, " oh I'm sure your child will be darling whatever he wears." Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer. Also, this IS a hot button issue. Look at my stats. 2005 I've been here since, and I've got, what, 50 posts? I rarely find the need to ask a question because I can find out almost everything I need to know by a search. Yes, I'm a grouch. Yes, you can probably wear whatever you want in the MDRS and no one will say anything to you. It still isn't what they ask you to do. As everyone has said a mil times, that's your choice.

I agree (although a little less grouchily :lmao:). I think people get upset because this is a "I know what Disney wants me to wear, but someone please tell me it's ok to do what I want instead" thread. I agree that little boys in shorts is cute. I understand that packing for a cruise is difficult. Our 6 year old never wears pants either. But he does have a ton of jeans and jeans are ok. I have a hard time believing no one has jeans or pants for their kid. They only need to wear them at dinner. Seriously, one or two pairs is all you need. Before our first cruise, we went to Target and bought 2 pairs of nice pants for $10 each. If you can afford a Disney cruise, I imagine you won't go bankrupt spending $20 on pants.

As far as the "Disney doesn't enforce this" argument - does that matter? If you were hosting a dinner party and requested people wear black and white, would you turn away a friend because he wore blue? I doubt it. You may be upset, but you would let them stay.

As everyone said, in the end it doesn't matter.

So we were discussing this at dinner tonight, and I mentioned that shorts are not ok but jeans are, and DH was ok with that, if they're nice jeans. But we'll be bringing khaki pants for the boys (6 and 10) to wear. He did say he'd be ok with them wearing Crocs to dinner. I really don't want to bring another pair of shoes, since they'll have sneakers, Crocs and water shoes (we're spending a day at Blizzard Beach during our week in WDW prior to the cruise). What kind of shoes do those of you with boys bring? I do think the Crocs will look better than sneakers with khaki pants, and being active boys their sneakers last about a minute before they look beat up.

So we were discussing this at dinner tonight, and I mentioned that shorts are not ok but jeans are, and DH was ok with that, if they're nice jeans. But we'll be bringing khaki pants for the boys (6 and 10) to wear. He did say he'd be ok with them wearing Crocs to dinner. I really don't want to bring another pair of shoes, since they'll have sneakers, Crocs and water shoes (we're spending a day at Blizzard Beach during our week in WDW prior to the cruise). What kind of shoes do those of you with boys bring? I do think the Crocs will look better than sneakers with khaki pants, and being active boys their sneakers last about a minute before they look beat up.

I have seen a lot of khaki pants with brown leather flip flops around here during the summer. I think that would be cute and functional.

My boys ages 8 and 6 have been on three recent cruises. I pack one pair of khaki pants for each one. They wear these every night except pirate night because we made red and black Pirate Mickey shirts for our costumes that do not look right with khakis. That night they wear jeans and sneakers. They also wear some really cute Sperry type brown dress shoes. Now I will say that the cruise dress code is similar to what they wear to church so I don't have to buy anything extra.

IMHO if Disney continues to say no shorts then no one will be wearing them in my family. Besides my kids and I all tend to get cold easily - it takes very little time to change them before and after dinner.

For footwear my boys wore colorful converse chucks to dinner. They were 10 and 12. That was their way to do their own thing while dressing up. Our second cruise they had dress shoes so they brought them.

I will say the Crocs are fairly new so not too dirty or worn out, and DS10's are navy blue and DS6's are a brighter blue so I think both will look nice with khakis. DH will have a stroke if I tell him I want to buy Keens just for this, because they probably won't be worn otherwise.

For pirate night, I came across their day camp shirts from last year, which are red with pirates on the front. Score! We also have eye patches for each of them. DH and I could wear red and black to match them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter