Dress alterations

Tiggerific04

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy your dress from one bridal shop and pay to have it altered at another? I'm sure it varies from place to place, but has anyone heard of or done this?

I know the place where I bought my dress will do alterations from other shops on a space available basis. I think they charge an extra $100 for outside wedding gowns and an extra $10 per outside bridesmaid dress though.

I bought my dress online, and while I did not need to get it tailored, I called a couple of dry cleaners/tailors and they would do it. They didn't quote me a price because they said "it depends how much needs to be done" (they were probably trying to take advantage) but I don't see why you couldn't do that. Anything can be done for a price. Just make sure you call ahead.

Hi, I work in bridal, and I should tell you that most places are so busy at this time of year that they really don't have time to do alterations from other bridal shops. Some, like mine, also have a straight policy against it. But there are a lot of private tailors that are very good, but their prices vary, and it also depends on how much work needs to be done (hem, bustle, taking in/letting out, bust cups, etc). So they will likely have to see the dress on you first before they can quote you on the cost. Most places don't have standard alteration fees (Vera Wang salons being the only exception I can think of), but a good tailor is likely to cost at least a couple hundred dollars, but it's well worth it for the result. I would just suggest that if you can find a bridal salon that will do it for you, to start with them, but if not, call around and talk to a few tailors in your area, and find out if they have a lot of experience altering wedding gowns.

Thanks, everyone. The shop I ordered my gown from isn't in the best area and the interior is less than clean unfortunately. I had no problem just having them order it, but after having my fitting yesterday, it makes me nervous to trust them to keep the dress clean and in good condition. I also don't think the seamstress really knew what she was doing as she tied the back of the dress completely wrong. I think I'd rather pay the extra money to have someone else alter it.

I bought my dress at a shop that didn't offer alterations, and took it to a local cleaner/tailor. I asked around for recommendations, and went with the most highly recommended. It cost $60 to take in the waist (with beading!) and to add a french bustle. Not bad at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter