DRebel XT lens ? for ya!

cricket1997

Earning My Ears
So you guys talked me into bringing my rebel xt in the parks! :)
Here are a few questions!
What is the best lens to bring to Disney for the rebel xt. I only have the lens that came with the camera. Should I get another one. Also is there a backpack type holder I can get for this camera. Thanks, Crystal

Many on this board will recommend the Sigma 18-125mm lens as the almost perfect walk around lens for Disney. Very good zoom range. I have a Nikon and mostly used the 18-70mm lens (can't afford the Nikkor 18-200). I found that its better than an 18-55mm lens, but would have liked to have had a bit longer reach. (the 18-125 on a Canon would be the equivilent of a 29-200mm lens on a film slr)

If we do go again next year I will be buying the Sigma 18-125 and also hopefully a 70-200 f/2.8 (but thats a different topic).

There are backpacks that are very good for camera's.Tarmac makes an Adventure 7 that goes for about $60-70 that can hold your camera stuff (body, lenses, flash) in the bottom part and also has a section in the top for other stuff (light jacket, small snack, etc...) There are also backbacks that are set up just for holding camera equipment, but thats if you have a number of different lenses, flash and maybe an extra camera body

Hi,

I took my DRebel to Disney in January--I mostly used my canon 28-135 IS lens. It worked great, but it is a bit heavy. When we go back I'll also use my new 50mm lens for inside shots without flash.

I got a backpack from Amazon that is made by canon for the Rebel. It works great--carries my camera, 3 lenses (one attached to the camera) & all my accessories (charger, filters, instruction book, cables, extra battery & memory card), along with my camcorder & my small point & shoot digital camera. I LOVE it! & I think it is a good price for the quality.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7363/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3288422-3891360?ie=UTF8

After I got my Digital Rebel, I had to wait for a little financial adjustment (read: I was broke!) before I could get another lens, so I used the 18-55 kit lens on my trip to WDW in December.

The kit lens is actually vary nice, and I got some terrific pics with it, some of my best ever at WDW.

However, 55mm just wasn't enough zoom for me. I had lots of trouble getting close enough to details on the castle, and especially animals on Kilamanjaro Safari.

I have since bought the Sigma 18-125 that Kyle mentioned above. I don't know if I'd call it the "perfect" lens, but it sure fits my needs perfectly. It's small and light compared to my older Sigma 28-200 lens, takes sharp pics, and focuses fast. Cost is about $230.

But as for carrying the camera around in a backpack - how are you supposed to trake pictures if the camera is all wrapped up securely on your back? I carry mine around on a strap around my neck, leave it on all the time (with sleep mode enabled to save battery life), and still miss shots once in a while.

Carrying spare memory cards won't rewuire a backpack (they fit in your pocket), and I carry a 1-gallon Ziploc bag as a camera poncho in case of rain or water rides, so keeping the camera dry is not an issue.

You may be nervous about carrying $1000 worth of camera around on your neck, as I was the first time I took an SLR to WDW, but after the first day or so, you get so involved with taking pics that you forget to be nervous - just make sure you don't get so involved that you forget to be careful!

I agree about carrying the camera around your neck--that is what I did at WDW. I mainly have the backpack as a way of storing & transporting my equipment. I'm not sure how or what I will take in to the parks when we return in January. But I'm leaning toward getting a lens bag that would fit both my 28-135 lens & the 50 lens so I will have both in the parks with me. Then I can put that, my extra battery & memory card in a large ziploc bag in our main backpack.

my original film lens had about the same mm as the 18-55 ( well i think, not sure now with the crop junk :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) i always found it ok for day to day stuff but i think i would have wanted something with more zoom at wdw ( i always did on vacations) if you can afford to i'd get the 18-125, if you can't it's not like you won't be able to take pictures, just may not be able to take an occasional long shot.

a bag totally depends on your style of touring imo but i have a camera bag, actually for a camcorder i love for wdw...it fits on your shoulder or around your waist so you can take it easily on rides as is,no need to take it off, put it on all day, it fit my rebel film eos( a little bigger than the digital xt,) an additional 100-300mm lens, 10 rolls of film, filters etc plus all our junk for wdw in side ( we don't have little kids so don't take a ton)it was canvas so i put my pins on it plus had a bunch of zippers so i could keep passes etc seperated from othe stuff....and best of all it was only $14 at walmart :rotfl: i'm planing on using it again next trip although think i will use my new onecamera more. than i did the old one so might also look for something littler yet

jann1033 said:
my original film lens had about the same mm as the 18-55 ( well i think, not sure now with the crop junk :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

An 18-55 on a Rebel XT is roughly equal to a 28-80 on a film Rebel.

An 18-125 on a Rebel XT is roughly equal to a 28-200 on a film Rebel.

WillCAD said:
An 18-55 on a Rebel XT is roughly equal to a 28-80 on a film Rebel.

An 18-125 on a Rebel XT is roughly equal to a 28-200 on a film Rebel.

I've read this several places, can someone explain why this conversion is necessary?

Okay- I think I get it now. :)

But for the most part, I'm going to follow some advice given on a different thread- learn whay my lens can do on my camera and not worry about the conversions. ;)

Mellie0119 said:

But for the most part, I'm going to follow some advice given on a different thread- learn whay my lens can do on my camera and not worry about the conversions. ;)

me too my brain is to fried thinking about them :rotfl2: although someone ( sorry don't remember who) likened it to a slide that was too big for the screen so only some of it was on the screen...that made sense to me but then again i'm :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

:blush: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :blush: I just looked at the link from willcad and realized i had looked at it before and thought the 35 mm was the digital( :rolleyes: ) holy crop no wonder i was/am /will always be :confused3 i can't read either i guess

i am in a smilie mood today

Mellie0119 said:

Magic numbers really bug me, I've got to know why they are what they are. It's the engineer in me.

I used a quantaray 28-200mm at wdw and it worked so good. You dont want to use the lens that came with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter