• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dreams will come true! Hearts will soar! May 2016 TR *NEW 7/6 x2!*

Wilderness Lodge is simply gorgeous!! I love all the pics--certainly different that Pop! that's for sure!! The pool and geyser are pretty awesome. My son would definitely be drawn into those, as well as the bridge and animal prints. I love all those little touches.

Perfect end to an update--Mommy time and a Mickey bar. Perfection!

We threw our stuff in a chair and they took off! The splash pad was really amazing. Lots of sprayers, fountains, dumping buckets, and 2 little slides. It was the perfecta area for the boys since they could all run around and play while we just stood and watched. The water around the play area was only really ankle deep.

Very cool! I love the WDW splash pads cause they're never so deep that the kids are in danger if you're not right on top of them.

26824993260_db4da3853f_z.jpg

He's such a little cutie!

It super looks like Jake is holding the camera. Love his smolder!

Such a cool thing, and Nate is the perfect age to really appreciate that sort of thing.

Animal footprints in the sidewalks!

COOL!!! I did not see these when we went to WL for dinner! That'll be fun to look for next year.

When we got back upstairs, everyone got a quick bath/shower and then all of the boys (even the big one) laid down for a nap. We had spent 2 hours swimming and they were exhausted!

Naps all around! I love it when my fella naps with my DD; it means I get a little bit of me time! I can't believe the boys played out there for so long! Two hours is a lot of swimming action.

So picturesque!

I decided on this trip that I was going to begin collecting resort mugs from each resort I stay at.

I love this! What a great souvenir idea! Practical and useful. Not just nick-nacks, although I do love those too...

My favorite! Looks like a super fun first day!

Sounds like a perfect day relaxing at the Wilderness Lodge!

Don't you just love the pool area/courtyard? So pretty!

The splash area looks great! Definitely something you don't get at the Values but clearly tons of fun for the kids.

What an adorable selfiie!

I hear you on walking around the resort. Not that I don't nap at Disney because I 100% do, but it's the first day and you're staying at WL, you had to explore it.

Looks like everyone had a great time at the pool. Casey love the splash area too, though this time the "big" girl wanted to spend more time at the main pool.

Great idea on the resort mugs. Jason does the same thing and always gets a resort mug plus one more in the parks. We have quite the collection amassed and it somehow makes the coffee taste oh so much better.

Love the splash pad area. With your first WL update and now this one, you now have the wheels turning in my head about VWL. I'm thinking how nice it would be to be a boat ride away from MK. While BWV and BCV would be awesome, it would be worth it to wait to stay there when more stuff opens up at DHS. And I've ALWAYS wanted to stay at WL. Hmmmm...choices, choices.

It was a really fun play area for everyone - perfect for each age! The boat ride would be a definite advantage to VWL (or whatever the new name is? Copper something?). It's such a tough choice when they are all great resorts. The only things that turn me off from BWV are the creepy clown slide and the lack of a quick service location.

Looking forward to the next update though I'm guessing I'll be in Disney by then!

That is a perfectly acceptable reason to miss an update! Have a great trip!!

The pool/splash pad look so awesome! I'm glad everyone had a blast and that you were able to spend a lot of time there.

The resort itself just looks so beautiful. Yay for getting to treat yourself to a Mickey Bar!

The splash pad was so much fun! The boys love a pool but it was really nice for them to be able to run around and slide without me following behind the whole time.

Wilderness Lodge was so beautiful! The building and landscaping were just perfect! And I think it's my new tradition that I have to eat a Mickey Bar on my first day!

Your trip is off to a good start! Wilderness Lodge is still my sentimental favorite. We took our boys there several times when they were young. I'm kind of a national park nut so maybe that's why I love it. Too bad about the view - are the rooms discounted during the construction?

We'll definitely be back for another stay once the construction is complete next year. I love the national park vibe too. Beautiful building and landscaping!

The rooms were definitely cheaper because of the construction, especially adding on an AP discount!

Wow that pool looks really fun! I have a feeling AKL is going to be added to my must stay list when i am done with your TR...

It was a great pool - the splash area and big pool were both beautiful and not overly crowded. And AKL and WL are already on my wish list again!

That pool/splash area does look super fun!! Looks like the boys had a great time!

It was really fun and perfect for all of them with the variety of slides and sprayers!

Sounds like a dessert party of some sort? Or maybe a dinner buffet?

One of your guesses is right! Update coming soon!

That splash pad area looks amazing! Looks like different things for different ages/adventurous level as well which is great.

Yes, that was my favorite part! All 3 boys could find plenty to keep them happy and entertained. And I didn't have to worry about it being too deep or dangerous, meaning I could just stand on the outside!

Was there an official thing/game to track down what the footprints were (like a guidebook or something) or just something you did on your own? Either way that is a really neat touch - I love stuff like that!

Not as far as I know, but it's a definite possibility that there is something like that maybe at the front desk or online that someone has made? I'll have to look into that for next time! Another fun Disney touch!

Looks like a pretty perfect vacation moment to enjoy that Mickey bar on the patio

It was beautiful and peaceful and delicious!

Wilderness Lodge is simply gorgeous!! I love all the pics--certainly different that Pop! that's for sure!! The pool and geyser are pretty awesome. My son would definitely be drawn into those, as well as the bridge and animal prints. I love all those little touches.

WL gets my vote as the most beautiful resort! I think Pop has it's good points (I'm staying there in October) but there are nice perks to a Deluxe! The boys loved the splash area and pool!

Perfect end to an update--Mommy time and a Mickey bar. Perfection!

I think it's another new Disney tradition. I did the same thing in November and I think it's the perfect way to start a trip!

Very cool! I love the WDW splash pads cause they're never so deep that the kids are in danger if you're not right on top of them.

It was really nice to let them run and play without worrying about them too much. That and the fence surrounding the splash area made it easy to watch them!

He's such a little cutie!

Thanks...the trouble is that he knows it too.

It super looks like Jake is holding the camera. Love his smolder!

He got to practice it again when we met a certain princess the next day too!

Such a cool thing, and Nate is the perfect age to really appreciate that sort of thing.

The geyser was something really fun and unique to WL! Nate loved it.

COOL!!! I did not see these when we went to WL for dinner! That'll be fun to look for next year.

They were all over the pool and sidewalks so there were plenty to look for. Someone else asked if there was a guide or list of all the footprints. Maybe at the front desk or someone made one and posted it online? That would be fun but it's still a great little activity either way!

Naps all around! I love it when my fella naps with my DD; it means I get a little bit of me time! I can't believe the boys played out there for so long! Two hours is a lot of swimming action.

All of them require some rest to be happy campers at night, especially after so much time in the water. And it gave me some alone time too!

So picturesque!

Sigh. Wilderness Lodge wins my vote for most beautiful resort.

I love this! What a great souvenir idea! Practical and useful. Not just nick-nacks, although I do love those too...

Yes, I love it! I have way too many Disney mugs already but I just can't stop! And to be honest, I can't resist anything Disney.

My favorite! Looks like a super fun first day!

It was the perfect treat to enjoy that afternoon!

joining in

Thanks for following along! :wave:

Sounds like a perfect day relaxing at the Wilderness Lodge!

Don't you just love the pool area/courtyard? So pretty!

We got to enjoy the best of Wilderness Lodge that day! I loved the building, pool and the landscaping. Such a great place to either have fun and play or just relax!

The splash area looks great! Definitely something you don't get at the Values but clearly tons of fun for the kids.

Those are big perks of Moderates and Deluxes. We had lots of fun at the Value pools too but those splash pads are just too much fun!

What an adorable selfiie!

Thanks! I was never a selfie taker until Disney, actually. But sometimes you just want to capture a moment and there isn't anyone around!

I hear you on walking around the resort. Not that I don't nap at Disney because I 100% do, but it's the first day and you're staying at WL, you had to explore it.

I'm usually so excited the first day that I just want to soak it all in! And with just one night at WL, I loved having the chance to see more of the resort. The Mickey Bar was nice too! :thumbsup2

Looks like everyone had a great time at the pool. Casey love the splash area too, though this time the "big" girl wanted to spend more time at the main pool.

It's a really fun splash area with lots to do! We had a great time there but the big boys really liked the big pool too. They even braved the big slide solo at AKL! I was nervous but they had a great time.

Great idea on the resort mugs. Jason does the same thing and always gets a resort mug plus one more in the parks. We have quite the collection amassed and it somehow makes the coffee taste oh so much better.

I'm excited to collect them - and a good reason to stay at a new resort each trip! And I agree - mornings are not my favorite but much easier with some Disney-fied coffee.

Soon it was time to head back to our room, but we found yet another magical little detail about Wilderness Lodge that we had to take some time to explore.
Love all of the little details at the Wilderness Lodge!

Can't wait to read about the nighttime plans!

Missing the Lodge.....it was our 'home away from home.' Been a few years since we've been able to stay there again.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Love all of the little details at the Wilderness Lodge!

That (along with the just amazingly beautiful lobby and landscaping) was one of my favorite parts about WL!

Can't wait to read about the nighttime plans!

Coming up soon - they were yummy!

Missing the Lodge.....it was our 'home away from home.' Been a few years since we've been able to stay there again.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Wilderness Lodge definitely has a home away from home feel - very relaxing and peaceful! We loved our quick stay!

Following along now!

Thanks for joining in! :earsboy:

Sounds like a great day and the boys look like they were having a ball in the pool and splash pad. Love that you got a little alone time and could enjoy a Mickey Bar in those beautiful surroundings (p.s I love the Minnie/Mickey pedicure I spied in that photo!)

But I wasn't ready to spend my time at Disney sleeping (not yet at least), so I set out to explore the resort more!
You sound like me! Too much time sitting in the room, and I start to get restless and go off wandering!

What a nice little preview of what it'll be like on your solo trip in October!

How much dessert are we allowed to eat?
Eat ALL the desserts!

Loving your TR. It is one of my dreams to stay at the Wilderness Lodge.

Thanks for following along! We loved WL - I never thought about staying Deluxe but it was pretty amazing!

joining in..love your report so far.

Thanks for following along! :wave:

Sounds like a great day and the boys look like they were having a ball in the pool and splash pad. Love that you got a little alone time and could enjoy a Mickey Bar in those beautiful surroundings (p.s I love the Minnie/Mickey pedicure I spied in that photo!)

We had a great time enjoying the pool and exploring WL. And that time on the little porch with my Mickey Bar was so peaceful! Thanks - I got a Disney-fied pedicure right before the trip!

Great report! You have a very happy looking family!

Thanks for joining in! And thank you - but take a look at us after 6 park days and too little sleep and make a final decision! :rotfl:

You sound like me! Too much time sitting in the room, and I start to get restless and go off wandering!

I'm all for relaxing and I love a nap, but I'm at DISNEY! I just can't sit around for too long and miss out on something.

What a nice little preview of what it'll be like on your solo trip in October!

That is the dream that keeps me going! Mickey bars and relaxation.

Eat ALL the desserts!

Always the answer.

How much dessert can we eat?

After my little solo time (just me, a Mickey Bar, and a WL rocker), it was time to head back to the room and wake the boys up for our nighttime plans.

So if you followed my PTR, you might remember that I had been given complimentary 1-day base tickets for Hollywood Studios that evening after I sent an email to Guest Services about my disappointment over the cuts, cancellations, closures, and delays that had been announced right before our trip. A lovely CM from Guest Services called me to talk over everything and she gave us some bonus FP+ plus these tickets for us to see the Symphony in the Stars. Well, the day after I spoke to Guest Services, it was announced that Symphony in the Stars would be extended and we would get a chance to see it later in the trip.

Then the big decision was - do we use these tickets for the evening (see the fireworks but keep the boys up way late after a long travel day) or make other plans (miss the fireworks but get to bed at decent time)?

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

In the end, I valued sleep and well rested kids over seeing the fireworks twice. It hurt not to use those tickets but I really didn't think the boys were up to a late night in the parks after our flight and travel day. I tried to get an ADR at Whispering Canyon but only later times were available. So I looked over at Trail's End at Fort Wilderness and found plenty of availability!

So off to Fort Wilderness! We headed down to the boat dock and Colin was pretty pumped to ride a boat.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GSrPnq]

The boat came shortly after we got to the dock and we all found seats. We had an AWESOME captain/skipper named Stephen who pointed out all the landmarks and answered everyone's questions.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GnaAcY]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GniJrr]

He pointed out this island and told us it used to be known as Discovery Island.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H9ktSb]

According to Stephen (and a little internet research) it was once an attraction where guests could observe wildlife such as flamingos, lemurs, and tortoises. Very interesting!

Soon we docked at Fort Wilderness and headed ashore.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H9kzg7]

We had a few minutes before our ADR and the playground was calling to the boys! So we headed over to let them play for a few minutes and they had a blast!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GSrvyE]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HhEaxx]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gnadds]
[/url]​
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gnadds]

At 7:20, we headed over to check in for our ADR at Trail's End.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H9ksoE]

We got our pager and let the boys play outside with some hula hoops they had set up.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GSrujA]

Fort Wilderness has a very different vibe than any other resort that I've visited. I think a stay here would be interesting and it's on our Disney bucket list now!

Right at our ADR time of 7:30, we were heading inside to enjoy some yummy ribs, chicken...and desserts of course! After placing our drink orders (strawberry lemonade for me, tea for Jim, chocolate milk for the boys), I took Nate and Colin up to check out the buffet. Of course, the first thing we were greeted with was this bounty of sweets.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GnaaqJ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GSrwM1]
[/url]​
[url=https://flic.kr/p/GSrwM1]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HbCi52]

And my little Colin asked "So, how much dessert can we have?" Already planning dessert before he even took a bite of dinner. Definitely a child after my own heart! I told him he could pick 2 things and he and Nate started to strategize right away. They settled things while I grabbed some real food to fill their bellies.

I have it noted that my favorites were the fried chicken, ribs, cornbread, and pea salad. Jim enjoyed the brisket as well. The boys all liked the fried chicken (or "friend" chicken as Jake called it) and rolls. And of course we all loved dessert! The boys opted for cookies and ice cream sundaes, I got strawberry shortcake and banana pudding, and Jim went for another helping of brisket and ribs.

We took the boat back over to Wilderness Lodge where we hustled up to the room for bath and pajamas all around. The boys laid down and watched a little Mickey Mouse Clubhouse before bed. We had just turned off the lights when I heard the booms going off outside. I threw off my covers and ran out onto the balcony to see this!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HbCg5k]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GnidUk]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GSrmYU]

Our not so great daytime view turned into a really nice view of Wishes! I wish I would have been prepared and played the soundtrack on my phone but we just made due with watching the fireworks. The boys could actually see them from the top bunk so they just laid in bed and watched. I sat out on the balcony for the whole show, of course!

By the time I fell asleep, it was almost 11. I'm pretty happy with our decision to go with an easy dinner and early-ish night versus heading to Hollywood Studios. That extra rest most likely made the next (long, hot) day more enjoyable for everyone!

Next up

Fist Bump!
[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]

Sounds like an awesome evening - sometimes all it takes is a boat ride for it to be special!

The idea of lying in the top bunk and seeing fireworks sounds like ever kid's dream!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter