Dream vs Fantasy service

We just got off the Fantasy, and DH and I thought the service was actually better on the Dream. We LOVED our assistant server on the Dream. In fact, i don't know if that is why our servers on the Fantasy were a bit of a let down.

Our head server was hurt (his back got hurt in a drill) and he was not with us the first 2 nights. They really tried to make things better for us (the first night the substitute server was not good at all). They called in another assistant server to help out etc. When our main server returned, he was fine, but nothing extraordinary. I didn't want to go to hard on him though because who knows how bad his back injury was.

It is a bit disappointing when the service is not as good. ALthough we still had a wonderful time and had fine service, it did take a little something away that our servers were not as FABULOUS as those others were. Yep, we were spoiled!

melaniejh1016 said:
Panya and Onika were our servers. I don't think they smiled once.

We had Panya and Ashton. Both were great. Panya would even take time to cut the food for my kids. Sorry to hear your experience was not as positive.

I really doubt its a Dream vs Fantasy thing. Unfortunately, sometimes servers just aren't all that great. We sailed on the Dream twice (June and September) and both times I got the impression that the Dream had the A-Team. We had sailed on the Wonder back in April, and it was the worst dining service we ever experienced on a Disney ship. We had dinner in Beach Blanket Buffet (Wonder's version of Cabanas) and really enjoyed it. Don't let it ruin your cruise. If your first night is a bust, go talk to the head server and tell them you want a new table. And then fill out the survey and be candid. It's the only way they will get better.

This is so interesting. We cruised the Dream in May 2011 shortly after it debuted. Service was awful, and dinner took almost 3 hours every night. Some crew members didn't even know port from starboard, etc.

When we went back in Oct 2011, it had gotten better but was definitely still not totally on par.

We chatted w/our Wonder servers and head servers last summer. They openly admitted that the Dream took on the newbies to train, and when they didn't have enough volunteers they "drafted" people who had not volunteered but where their department was willing to let them go to another ship. My understanding is that the 3-night cruise assignment is not desirable and that basically the more experienced servers would not be willing to go there.

I believed their sentiment, since when we cruised on the Dream in May 2011 we ran into our former assistant server on the Wonder who was horrible (nice guy, but terrible at service). He was super proud that he got "promoted" within the last 6 month from being an assistant server on the Wonder to being a full on server on the Dream. My guess is they needed someone for the position, because he really wasn't very good.

As another side note, we met an amazing veteran server on the Oct 2011 Dream cruise said openly that he was there to train the newbies (he'd been w/DCL 14 years) and he was going to the Fantasy afterwards for a few more contracts before retiring. My parents were lucky to have him on their November 2012 Fantasy cruise.

All that being said, I am not surprised that the Dream's service is a little bit lacking as compared to the other ships. I think the itinerary itself turns off servers who may have a choice in their assignment.

We had great service and great servers on our 5 night last summer. We are looking forward to that same service again in just a few months. :)

melaniejh1016 said:
We did the fantasy in December and just getting off the Dream today. While the ships are identical practically, the service doesn't compare. Fantasy was amazing. Dream is subpar. Quite disappointing. I don't think I'd do the dream again

My wife and I did a 3 night on the Dream two weeks ago. Our dining staff was horrible. All three acted like they had no interest in being there. It was our sixth DCL cruise but the first for my sis and her husband. After telling them for months how awesome the service would be, we felt really bad for them. If this was our first DCL cruise, I'm not sure there would have been a second...that's how bad our dining experience was. To top it off we ate in Palo the last night, and while our server was better, he was a far cry from what we have grown used to at Palo. Fortunately, this was the first bad experience we've ever had on DCL and I think it was just a bad team led by a horrible head server. (That being said, we were on the fantasy at Xmas and while our servers were awesome we only saw the head server 2x out of 7 nights)

i was on the Dream with my mom and sister in October.
they tend to be very difficult to please and even they thought the service was OUTSTANDING!!!!
and that was from everyone on board..

we had an absolutely wonderful time!!!

We had very good service on the Dream (actually, we thought it was excellent at the time, but looking back it was a solid very good).

We will be very happy if the service on the Fantasy is at the same level, and will be estatic if it is better.

Living in a rapidly growing city with super low unemployment, the service we are used to at home is crappy comparied to on DCL, so it really is all relative.

We've been on the Dream twice and the Fantasy twice, and I didn't feel that there was a discernible difference in the overall level of service or the attitude of the CMs. As far as MDR servers and stateroom hosts go, I think it's just luck of the draw. This has been our experience so far:

Cruise 1 - Dream: Good (but not great) MDR serving team; great stateroom host
Cruise 2 - Fantasy: Amazing MDR serving team; so-so stateroom host
Cruise 3 - Dream (concierge): Did not eat in the MDRs; great stateroom host
Cruise 4 - Fantasy: So-so MDR serving team (definitely our least favorite of any cruise); good stateroom host

I think some of this depends on the type of service a guest prefers, as well. If you're looking for servers who spend a lot of time interacting, and yours are friendly and efficient but mostly leave you to eat in peace, you may not be happy. Someone who's looking for that type of service but gets very chatty servers may be turned off. The same is true, to a degree, with stateroom hosts.

This is so interesting. We cruised the Dream in May 2011 shortly after it debuted. Service was awful, and dinner took almost 3 hours every night. Some crew members didn't even know port from starboard, etc.

When we went back in Oct 2011, it had gotten better but was definitely still not totally on par.

We chatted w/our Wonder servers and head servers last summer. They openly admitted that the Dream took on the newbies to train, and when they didn't have enough volunteers they "drafted" people who had not volunteered but where their department was willing to let them go to another ship. My understanding is that the 3-night cruise assignment is not desirable and that basically the more experienced servers would not be willing to go there.

I believed their sentiment, since when we cruised on the Dream in May 2011 we ran into our former assistant server on the Wonder who was horrible (nice guy, but terrible at service). He was super proud that he got "promoted" within the last 6 month from being an assistant server on the Wonder to being a full on server on the Dream. My guess is they needed someone for the position, because he really wasn't very good.

As another side note, we met an amazing veteran server on the Oct 2011 Dream cruise said openly that he was there to train the newbies (he'd been w/DCL 14 years) and he was going to the Fantasy afterwards for a few more contracts before retiring. My parents were lucky to have him on their November 2012 Fantasy cruise.

All that being said, I am not surprised that the Dream's service is a little bit lacking as compared to the other ships. I think the itinerary itself turns off servers who may have a choice in their assignment.

ALL of the ships have newcomers to the crew usually every week - at least when they are in Florida. I know for a fact that the Fantasy gets some new crew every Saturday.

Just wanted to chime in to say that our service on the Dream was really great! The only problem we had was on our last night our room host forgot to leave a few things we needed in our room (customs form, etc...). We have already booked another one on the Dream and can't wait!! :banana:

I think it is the luck of the draw on all the ships. Some are just going to be much better than others.

We have always had excellent service on the Wonder. One assistant server was new but you could tell he was just learning (rather than not wanting to be there). I loved our servers on the Fantasy (even if the server messed up a few orders, lol). Personality-wise, they are great. And that was the best Head Server we have ever had. We really enjoyed chatting with him every night.

I do have to say that the Dream was the only serving team that we really didn't connect with. But it was a couple months after the MV and you could tell that everyone was still trying to get a feel for the ship. It wasn't that the service was bad, it was that they were so crazy busy that there was no time to connect with them.

We have never had bad stateroom hosts, but the best two were on the Dream and Fantasy.

We've been on the Dream twice and the Fantasy twice, and I didn't feel that there was a discernible difference in the overall level of service or the attitude of the CMs. As far as MDR servers and stateroom hosts go, I think it's just luck of the draw. This has been our experience so far: Cruise 1 - Dream: Good (but not great) MDR serving team; great stateroom host Cruise 2 - Fantasy: Amazing MDR serving team; so-so stateroom host Cruise 3 - Dream (concierge): Did not eat in the MDRs; great stateroom host Cruise 4 - Fantasy: So-so MDR serving team (definitely our least favorite of any cruise); good stateroom host I think some of this depends on the type of service a guest prefers, as well. If you're looking for servers who spend a lot of time interacting, and yours are friendly and efficient but mostly leave you to eat in peace, you may not be happy. Someone who's looking for that type of service but gets very chatty servers may be turned off. The same is true, to a degree, with stateroom hosts.

you had cabin 11020 also right? We had Kevin last week for our room attendant - LOVED HIM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter