Dream packing emergency- shorts/capris for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw man, I was going to bring this outfit for dinner -

_6298447.jpg

But since it is shorts, guess I'll have bring this one instead -

417qzvLVZsL._SY445_.jpg
:laughing::thumbsup2
exactly:thumbsup2

I would rather see someone in shorts and being polite in the dining rooms than someone dressed up and acting like an ***.

:thumbsup2
common sense:thumbsup2

You think? :rotfl:

I gave a very logical, thought-out response as to why DCL handles its main dining room dress code the way it is. You, on the other hand, stooped to name calling in a one-sentence response.

What does that tell you? ;)

The point is that your response(s) are anything BUT logical. Thought out I'll give you but logical no. You went through great strides to twist something very simple and ultra clear to suit your wishes.
We request that you don't wear shorts.... pretty cut and dry if you ask me.
Does it mean they don't WANT you to? I think it's pretty evident but you somehow interpret that to mean that this is part of Disneys grand scheme to have you wear shorts and thereby maximize earnings???
Oh yeah....that's logical.:lmao:

Before my first cruise, I called DCL and asked them. I was told that if I wore shorts in the dining room, it would be fine, just don't wear anything that was family inappropriate or wet.

I also asked when I was on the cruise. They told me to show up in shorts.

The point is that your response(s) are anything BUT logical. Thought out I'll give you but logical no. You went through great strides to twist something very simple and ultra clear to suit your wishes.
We request that you don't wear shorts.... pretty cut and dry if you ask me.
Does it mean they don't WANT you to? I think it's pretty evident but you somehow interpret that to mean that this is part of Disneys grand scheme to have you wear shorts and thereby maximize earnings???
Oh yeah....that's logical.:lmao:

I'm not twisting anything. You're twisting my words into something they're not.

My whole point is this: as a business, Disney Cruise Line has the power and right to set any kind of dress code they like. They do this in Palo and Remy by clearly stating shorts are not allowed. DCL chooses not to do it in the main dining rooms. Instead, they make it a request, instead of a requirement.

Why do you think this is? If they really wanted no shorts in the main dining room, DCL would have the policy mirror that in Palo and Remy. They don't though. I believe they do this to appeal to folks who choose to dress more casually on their vacations.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be snarky or anything. Why do you think they have a strict dress code in one area and a looser dress code in another if they aren't trying to appeal to a wider variety of cruiser with regard to the main dining rooms?

OP I don't see the big deal with wearing (long) shorts or pants, it's YOUR vacation. ENJOY IT!!!!!

Personally I plan on packing (long) shorts and blue jeans for MY vacation, and would be fine with wearing either one to dinner. But under no circumstance will I be bringing a suit and/or dress clothes. If I wanted to wear a suit, I would stay at work.

....So I guess Palo and Remy are out of the question. :rotfl:

Im amaze and scare at the same time reading this post. Im new in disboard and is scary to see so many rude post to a simple question. I dont think her question is wrong or that she deserve to received mean comments.

I had never cruise but this is my experience with Disney. We love to eat in signatures restaurants that have a dress code like California Grill and Jiko. We had seen several people in park clothes (shorts, sneakers, thank top) eating at this restaurants even though they have a dress code. They had never been denied service. I even asked once to the Restaurant manager and her response was "Disney makes sure everybody is happy". I recall a couple once eating at California Grill that were dress like they just came from the park. The women was feeling very embarrass I tried to explain to their waitress that they didnt know about the dress code. Disney did not made a big deal out of it. I always try to dress nice for this kind of restaurants. I had wore a very nice dressy pair of capris to Jiko and no one seem to notice. I dont care what other people wear while Im dressing nice, and I certainly dont care what other people think of what Im wearing. Im sure Disney will never deny service for something so simple as a short pants below the knee (maybe if it was obscene but in this case is not).

So my point is if Disney dont make a big deal why should we?? :confused3

What I don't understand is why some people get so upset about shorts at dinner, but let so many other rule violations slide.

Just to give some examples:

No coolers (not no hardsided - none at all)
No electrical appliances (unless approved by the ships electrician)
No hooking up VCR/DVD/Games to stateroom TVs
No personal food or drinks (unless medically necessary)
No personal flotation devices
No boarding the ship sick (several threads where people who had the flu actually got on the ship)
No saving seats at the theater
No saving chairs at the pool
No musical instruments
No wheeled shoes
No Toys resembling weapons (guns, knives, swords and other implements)

and the list goes on.

I didn't read through this whole thread, so if this is a repeat, sorry...:confused3

I'm wondering, what'd you wear at the pirate night deck party? I'm going to guess that shorts are a-ok for that? pirate:

The funniest thing of all, this is the picture on page 21 of the 2011 Disney Cruise Line Vacation Book.

All shorts, no pants. LMAO! :lmao:

DisneyDreamRest1.jpg

LOL- awesome...I think that's the nail in the coffin.

I don't know how all of this evolved into a heated discussion.

For the upscale restaurants (Remy and Palo) DCL obviously has requirements and they are enforced because there have been stories about people being turned away.

For the main dining rooms they have requests- shorts are seemly tolerated because there are plenty of stories about them being worn and nothing being said or done about it.

As far as how someone else dresses impacted someone elses enjoyment I don't think there is ever going to be a clear consensus.

As someone else posted with picture examples, there can be elegant shorts that are dressy and stylish. I live in So Cal and I have seen people wear shorts to Catholic mass but when I lived in Toronto, I NEVER saw that, even when the weather permitted it. I think there of course personal preferences but maybe there are also a regional influence that comes into play.

This is the way I see it. I am the one spending thousands of dollars for a vacation for my family and I. My family is more comfortable wearing shorts, but hey we're from CA, that's the norm around here. Of course if I were to book to eat at Palo or Remy's I would bring something suitable to wear for that dinner as they are a more formal dining experience. But aside from that, no one is going to tell me how I should dress for my meals. I completely understand not wanting anyone to be wearing swim suits to a meal, but shorts? I have some very nice outfits that I can make with my shorts and a nice top. Honestly I think disney should change the wording for this. I mean we are going on a cruise where ports are places such as CC. If I had to pack pants to change into for every meal on a 7 night cruise, I would be packing WAY more clothes that I care to bring with me. :confused3

I will never understand why it is so hard to JUST FOLLOW THE RULES. No you are not special. The world does NOT revolve around you. You are not somehow exempt from what eveyone else has been asked to do just becuase you don't want to. I give this speech almost daily to CHILDREN, but I think it applys here. Why does this KEEP coming up over and over?? Disney asks us not to wear shorts, so why can't we all be adult enough to abide by that request. If we could ther would not be a problem. Ther would not be endlessdebate on the subject, name calling and insult throwing. We are not children that need to push the limits to establish control, so why can't we just act like adults??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter