Dream Big, Going West! October 2-11, 2015 (Completed 1/7)

Tuesday- October 6th, Disneyland Day!

I set my alarm for 6:15 and met my parent, brother and SIL to walk Disneyland together for our Magic Morning. It took at least 10 min to get through bag check - and we use the DCA side, and then the park lines were all the way halfway down the esplanade- we didn't get in until 7:30am- Glad I didn't make the kids get up early- My husband got them ready for the day.

We don't know the park very well, but headed towards Matterhorn and ended up by Space Mountain (which was closed for the morning) so we walked around to Matterhorn anyhow. We rode it about 8am. Then I walked up to see if the Lilly Belle was running today, and it wasn't due to having no extra staff today. We met at Indiana Jones (got a FP, but ended up not using it due to breakfast pixie dusted them to a group walking that way) I had to buy a cold bottle of water and my brother got a muffin. It was already getting hot out. We enjoyed Indiana Jones- A long walk, but neat ride! Then we met my husband and the kids at The Enchanted Tiki Room, we enjoyed the pre-show area outside (although Dole Whips weren't available yet) and loved the show- just as we remember it at WDW.

Then it was about 9:40 so we headed over towards Plaza Inn for our Minnie and Friends Breakfast reservation at 10 am, they immdediately took us in for pics/paying and seated us outside. I was worried we may not see many characters out here, but I saw Peter Pan leaving, and then before we had a chance to get food Rafiki was there. We took turns getting food and seeing the characters- loved the Mickey waffles with caramel and bananas! Fresh fruit and scrambled eggs- even Nesquik chocolate milk my fav! We saw 10 characters! Pooh, Captain Hook, Tigger, Eyeore, Chip and Dale, Max, Minnie (we had to ask to see her as we exited) and the Fairy Godmother- she was the best- talked to us about our names and teased my Dad and brother about what his mother would call him when he was in trouble- This was great because it wasn't like they were really interested in the other characters, but at least had some personal attention from someone. She memorized all of our names and was very interested in our matching shirts.

We stopped at the bathroom, ( I ran to get Space Mountain and Buzz FP) and then rode the Monorail around the park. We hoped to ride it more often but the heat kept it from running. Then we rode Autopia at 12:20. Nice ride- my sons enjoyed steering! Then we went on Buzz again- what fun! and at 1:30 we rode Astro Orbiter- it was fun to fly in the air- but I wouldn't do it again- it was on an incline to get in and out and squashed our legs sitting in it. My youngest was asleep and missed it anyhow. We went right to Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy (wished we could have done the regular one since I don't remember it that well from WDW) we rode it twice with the rider swap and FP. We walked over to the Train to take a break (I realized there are not really any indoor scheduled shows we wanted to see in DL) We rode to NOS and wanted to wait to get a FP for HM. We had popcorn in a souvenir buckets and water. Then we split up- my parents to BTMRR and us to Mark Twain- we just missed a boat, so we ate our popcorn from the dock and watched the band outside the Golden Horseshoe. We saw Princess Tiana get off the boat in front of us and enjoyed a nice ride and pic taking opportunity of the trip.
Then we grabbed a 6pm FP for HM and headed back to the hotel- stopping in a few shops and to see the enchanted windows along the way.

We hopped in the pool at the Hotel- very refreshing! and didn't head back to the park until 6:45. We grabbed another FP for HM and headed back to Hungry Bear to eat- I had the chicken Caesar wrap and the kids had chicken nuggets- love the apples/carrots the kids get! Then we had dessert- apple pie funnel cake and strawberry funnel cake- they were delicious and fun to share. Then we made it back to ride Winnie the Pooh- cute ride- the boys had their room done in Winnie the Pooh as babies. And that was my oldest first movie theater experience. Then we caught PtN from the back near Jolly HOliday- could really only see the high stuff, and it was crowded so we went back for our HM ride- it stopped just as we got in the stretching room. Loved seeing the NBC, but my kids dont' really know the movie, so I would have preferred the original- it is impressive anyhow- and we'll probably never see this done up again! we were done for the night and stopped in the shops on our way out. The crowds really got to us, and I didn't like walking and feeling like my kids could get lost at any moment. Our feet were exhausted and we had a busy memorable day and another coming up at Universal tomorrow!

A few pics my brother took at Universal Studios Hollywood. Amazing view from the top of the Studio Tour, we loved Minions, and meeting Draco's owl a dog actor. Yummy donuts!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Wednesday, October 7th, Universal Studios Hollywood

We woke up early- had a quick yogurt and cereal in the room and headed down to the hotel next door to us- Ramada Plaza to meet bus around 8:15 to take us to the Grayline Bus Depot. It took awhile for my mom to check us in, while we went to the bathroom and took some pics of the Knotts and Legoland signs. About 9:15 we got on our assigned bus and headed up to Universal City. Our Bus driver RD was very friendly and talkative and took a detour through town to keep us out of traffic. It was nice to see LA.

We arrived before 11am and got our Front of the Line passes, found a bathroom and went right to the Minion ride. I waited with my 2 yr old who was sleeping in his stroller, and then used Rider Swap for my husband and I to go ride it together. My 6 yr old didn’t like to be separated from us, but did go look at some items with his Uncle and Aunt rode the Silly Swirl ride with my 2 yr old.

Then we took a break for lunch- we ate right on the main plaza and had some chicken sandwiches and such. We got the refill bottles and used them a lot!

Then we saw Shrek 4D was starting so we went to see it- cute show. I didn’t like how everyone was squashed in the preshow room and then running everywhere for the seats in the theater- our group was separated in the rush.

Then we went down to do the Studio Tour- no stroller parking up top, so we had to wait for the elevator to go down and then find a parking spot for it. We enjoyed the tour- very interesting to learn about the movie settings and how they change and have been used in many movies! The views of the moutains was beautiful!!! The special effects parts were neat how the whole tram fit in and was like a ride, especially the Fast and Furious where it felt like we were racing!

We split up so my parents went down to the lower level to ride the Mummy and Transformers and my husband and son went on the Simpsons. My son still talks about how the water sprayed him on the ‘coaster’ I took my 2 yr old to get ice cream- cookies and cream and things! Yummy! Then my husband and son got ice cream when they got off and we got a popcorn bin and headed to the Animal Actor Show at 3:30. Our family all met together for the show- the animals and trainers were very entertaining! I’m glad we went to see it, the kids loved it! Afterwards with our Front of the Line pass we met Draco’s Owl – Olympia (I believe) and the golden retriever- we had a golden who passes away in the spring. This dog was very well trained and didn’t even move a muscle when we petted him.

Next I saw on the Universal website that Curious George was meeting at 4, so we ran over to see him, while my parents went to the backstage effects show (they liked it, but don’t recommend it for kids- it was gory) My 2 yr old is a huge George fan- so I was excited for him to get to see him. I’m not sure he recognized him, but gave him a high 5 and took a pic. My husband stopped to get a pic with Frankenstein.

Then we walked over to the Silly play area and rode the Silly swirl and played on the playground. The spray area- looked very wet, more like a pool and I didn’t want the boys to be cold. My parents were heading over to Simpsons, so I met them there to ride. It was cool, but dizzy! By then the heat was wearing us down, so we stopped to shop and get a big donut for later. My brother and his wife went to see the WaterWorld show and thought it was amazing how the plane flew into the arena.

At 6:30 we had to be at the bus, so we made our final restroom, drink and popcorn refills, took pictures at the globe fountain and hopped on the bus (of course we were one of the last ones back, so we were split up again for seating.

Traffic was crazy and we got back to our hotel at about 8pm. We were going to feed the boys pizza, but they were tired and took a shower and fell asleep before it arrived. Then my mom came over to watch the boys, so my husband and I could go out on the town alone!

My husband and I were starving by this time, so we went right next to our hotel to Bubba Gump’s to eat (we figured DTD would be packed, since it was a MHP night and DCA was closing soon) The food was great- we had chips and spinach dip appetizer and fish dishes (of course) to eat. We got a margarita in the Anaheim pint souvenir glass. Great way to unwind. Then we walked To Downtown Disney to shop at World of Disney. We bought most of our shirts, my husband’s hat and some pins with other little souvenirs for the boys there. It was fun to see everyone in there Halloween costumes as they left the park.

We made it back to the hotel by midnight, showers and in bed by 1am. A long day, but memorable!
Back to DL in the morning and Knott's Scary Farm for the adults tomorrow night!

Sunday October 4th, 2015- DCA/Medieval Times

We took the Metro Bus 460 again to Medieval Times (just down the street from Knott's- only get off at the Wax Museum stop) We were cheering on the yellow Knight and enjoyed the entertainment and food-- delicious tomato soup, garlic bread, chicken, corn on the cob, potatoes, and apple turnover. My boys loved waving their banners and cheering/booing the Knights. We picked up our family picture, took bathroom breaks and said goodbye to the horses and falcon and then headed to the bus stop that was just across the street.

Medieval Times looks like a lot of fun! May I ask, what time did the show start and where did you buy tickets? When the family comes back, I think we'd really enjoy that event.

I'm also looking into going up to Universal for the day. I guess Grayline was a good way to do it? I can get discount tickets, so I'm interested in just transport up and back.

Medieval Times looks like a lot of fun! May I ask, what time did the show start and where did you buy tickets? When the family comes back, I think we'd really enjoy that event.

I'm also looking into going up to Universal for the day. I guess Grayline was a good way to do it? I can get discount tickets, so I'm interested in just transport up and back.

Canadian Harmony, Thanks for reading! Sorry it took so long to get back to you- when I had time the other day I finally updated our computer to Windows 10. Before that I couldn't type on the disboards without it freezing up!

Medieval Times was fun! We chose a Sunday 2:30 show (I think during the week they are all in the evenings) Our travel agent bought the tickets from the Medieval Times website- the prices can be shocking! But if you follow them on Facebook or check their page a couple weeks beforehand they seem to run a lot of specials. There is a birthday club for them too. We didn't do the Birthday package- it didn't seem worth it, but we did get the upgrade with front seats. But up a little higher would have been just as well to see the whole areana better. Well worth the time for a break from the Disney craziness, to get good food and air conditioning! My boys are still talking about it and enjoying waving their banners.

I had found quite a few different places offered 'transport only' to Universal- I think they all traced back to using the Graylines service, and all similar prices. We met a family on the bus who had relatives in LA and they recommend the bus instead of driving. The hard part was the day at the park was short- we are used to being at a park at opeing. But being Fall they closed at 6 so we did get to close the place down. We saw all we wanted to see, but I can see the day being really packed once Harry Potter area opens! Maybe we'll go to Universal in Florida one day to see the HP stuff! I want to wait until my boys start reading the books!

For Christmas I am making shadow boxes with our Disney and Knotts pins in them. I have to put more pins in to hold it up, but I think it will make a nice memory of our trip and hang well in our hallway. image.jpeg

image.jpeg My dad's company - who paid for our trip- made him a collage of our pics from the trip. They have it hanging on the wall with pics from the only other guy who has worked 30 yrs with them.

October 8th- Disneyland

Today we slept in some to catch up! We loved the Minnie and Friends Breakfast Buffet so well that we went back- we had a reservation at 9am for most of our group- and luckily they were able to squeeze the last 2 in for us. We loved it again- Mickey waffles with caramel and banana sauce please!

We left there about 10:30 and headed to the Main St Train station to ask about the tender rides. We had to wait for the right train to come, but then they called and said it was too hot so we couldn't ride it anyhow. :(. So we hopped on the train and rode to Toon town. We went on It's a Small World at about 11:40 am- my kids loved it, My 2 yr old who wasn't talking, did his own 'singing' in there!
Then we walked through Toon Town which felt very crowded. I took my 6 year old on the Gadget Coaster . Then we rode the Storybook Canals and Pinnochio.
At 1:30 we were up at the castle- taking pics and getting the most out of our PhotoPass Plus. We went up to the front of the park to retrieve our stroller (we didnt' take it on the train). We rode the horse drawn carriage to the station, and then saw the Doubel Decker Bus ready, so we left the stroller and rode on it instead. Back at the hub we decided we needed to go on the Jungle Cruise. Then it was so hot we walked back to take some pics of the train in a shaded area near Hungry Bear. We got travel mugs with frozen lemonade and Powerade and bottles of water.
Then we headed out of the park- after stopping to take pics at the big pumpkin- my parents met up with us there. Then Goofy and Pluto were switching places so they jumped in our pic! They were the cutest pics ever! Special to us because we didnt' take the time to wait in line to meet characters.

Then we shopped and headed back to the hotel for the kids to sleep and Me and my parents, Brotther and SIL to get ready to go to Knott'sBerry Farm via a driver service for Scary FArm.

Before I jump in to Scary FArm, My husband stayed with the kids and he took them to DCA for dinner at Flo's to see the Raditator Springs RAcers from the back and they saw the character and the DJ car come out from where they were sitting. Then they headed to DL and found a nice couple who offered them an area on a patio to watch PTN. They had a great time. They watched the Fireworks from outside the park on the way back to the hotel. What a special evening out!

Scary Farm-
We arrived by 5pm because we had tickets which had the pre scare Boo-fet. Which included our refillable drink bottle for the night. We enjoyed the meal- lots to choose from- salad, chips, pasta, chicken (Yum! Our first time for Knotts chicken), I believe- ribs, turkey and all the dressings and pie and cookies to choose from for dessert. We took our time, studied the map and enjoyed a few visits from the scary clowns.
Then we entered the park got our Fright lane passes and skeleton keys- cool collectible item! We started the mazes and scare zones- the Paranomal Maze was our favorite - we did it twice to see both sides.
We saw the 2 shows- laughed at the Calico Stage show and the Elriva show was entertaining. We even rode the Supreme Scream ride. By 11:15 we were exhausted and called our driver for a ride back to the hotel.

October 9th-My Birthday- Knott's Berry Farm

This Friday was our last day at Knotts. We took the Metro 460 and were in the parks by 10:15am, and went straight for Voyage Beyond the Iron Reef. Then we ate lunch again at Coasters- chicken fingers and fries, Boysenberry punch to drink!
We took a ride on the Sky Tower to see the whole area, which was neat.
Then we took the kids to Camp Snoopy and rode the trucks, hipper buggys, Ferris Wheel. We stopped to see about riding on the horse drawn stagecoach, but there was a line and it was hot- it reached 105 this day!
at 1pm we rode the train- the Galloping Goose Rail bus was hosting today which was a neat ride- we rode in front.
Then some of our group when on the log ride- and I took my 2 yr old to cool down in the AC in the Panda Express- he enjoyed some noodles and a ice cold water.
At 2:30 we saw the Native American Show.
By 3pm we were roasting- even with breaks and sat in the shade with some footlong hot dogs and cotton candy.
We walked around Ghost Town and bought souvenirs - we collect t shirts from every park and ornaments for our tree, plus some boysenberry tea.
Our final stop was a few rides and then dinner at the Mexican stand- lots of food for the price but slow service.

We took the bus back to the hotel area at 6pm. At 8pm we headed to Downtown Disney for some ice cream and saw the HS fireworks from there- what a fun Birthday treat! We saw lots of people dressed in their Halloween costumes. We enjoyed looking in the stores.
We were exhausted again and settled in for showers and bedtime at the hotel..

October 10th- Saturday- Disney California Adventure and Rainforest Cafe

We let the boys sleep in and met my family at DCA by 10am. We went on the Golden Zyphyrs. My parents went on the swinging cars on Mickey's fun wheel. Then we went on California Screamin'. My son went on the Goofy's Sky School with his aunt- he was so proud of riding a mouse coaster.
Then we went on the carousel and took pics at the CS 60th Anniversary set up- some neat pics when you flip them up side down.
WE went on LIttle Mermain and then I went on Screamin with my Dad with a FP, while my husband and mom and kids wandered by the Grizzly run area. Then we walked by Grizzly peak FAll and stopped in a few stores.
We had a 1pm reservation for Rainforest Cafe and enjoyed the AC, good food and ice cold drinks. I got a free cupcake and candle in it for my birthday- everyone sang to me. My boys loved it.
We strolled back to the park and made the 3:30 Disney Jr show- wonderful show- I recommend it to anyone with preschoolers- my kids knew all the characters from TV- Mickey Mouse and the gang for the Clubhouse, Sophia the First, Jake and the Never Land Pirates, Doc McStuffins, we sang with songs, confetti and bubbles fell from the sky. The only problem is my dad had to wait outside for us- it is floor seating, and no seats were left on the bench (people had bags and everything on the bench) and the CM said he had to leave, but he waited on a bench for us outside.
We had Mickey's head ice cream- my son saw them and we thought it was a great idea to go with our water (we bought a lot those days in the park- our bottles we brought got hot fast!)
We rode RSR with FP and rider swap- my son rode twice in a row! Then we had some more drinks and happened to get a spot during the Pixar Parade- the CM helped us find an awesome spot- my kids loved the bubbles and gymnasts in it. We ended a day on a Red Trolley ride- saw our PhotoPass photos, and met the family at the place for Mickey's Pants ice cream. What a way to say Goodbye to Disneyland!
My parents stayed for the WOC show and we headed back to the hotel- my youngest fell asleep on the way, and my oldest wanted to go to the pool.
Then my husband and I packed and saw the fireworks from our room. What a view!

October 11- Sunday- We left the hotel at 8:25, the terminal was packed due to construction! We walked to get breakfast sandwiches, ate, bathroom breaks and loaded on the plane to leave at 11:30am, by 7:30 home time we were on the shuttle to pick up our car. Stop for dinner at Wendy's and the kids were fast asleep. Luckily Monday was a Columbus DAy holiday for my son so he could adjust time zones.

What a wonderful trip, that we will never forget. A lot of firsts, and once in a lifetime events! So Thankful that we were able to do it as a family!

love the shadow boxes you made with the pin lanyards - love memories like that ... unique but also artistic

That also was really nice of your father's work to put that collage together

Nice to finish up the last evening with a view of the Fireworks from your room!

image.jpeg

My mom had a little bit of California mailed to her for Christmas. We got Knotts Berry Boysenberry Chipotle sauce, BBQ sauce and punch! Yum!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter