Dramamine Vs. Transderm Patch

Robin2tori

Earning My Ears
Looks like I will be travelling into some crazy weather this coming weekend as some storms are brewing. Just wondering if anyone could recommend to me which would be better to help with motion sickness. My mom will be joining me on this cruise, and she has a very weak stomach when it comes to motion.

Has anyone tried the patch and liked it? I know that the patch stays on for 3 days and prevents you from motion sickness, but I have heard some stories of people having some really bad side effects.

Last edited:
The only side effect I had was dry mouth. Other than that it worked fine. I still wear my seabands though too. I'm very sensitive to motion.

I use the patch every time. I get dry mouth and if it's a long time, my vision gets affected. It wears off quickly once you take it off and it's much better than throwing up constantly.

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to motion and the patch is the only thing I can use. I've done sea bands - nope. I've done over counter both Bonnine and dramamine - nope. Still got sick with both of those.
The patch is medication though and there are side effects. Dry mouth- yep. Keep a drink w/ you at all times. I bring a tumbler with me and fill it often. Blurry vision - yep. It is very slight for me so it's a non-issue.
Withdrawal if worn more than 3 days? Yep. I experienced it. If you need to wear it longer than 72 hours, you might and I emphasise, might experience withdrawal symptoms the day after it's removed. Some people don't.
Talk to your Dr. or Pharmacist for advise on what to use. If you decide on one method, bring another just incase one doesn't work or you don't like how it makes you feel.

I always use the patch. I'm very sensitive to motion. And I have Dramamine as a back up if we get big swells. I get extra patches for after the cruise because I get land sickness.
Takes me about 2 weeks to get over it all.

The patch dried out my eyes, nose and mouth. And, I was sleepy until I got tired of the side effects and took the patch off.

Loved the patch. I was very skeptical because nothing else has worked for me. We had rough seas the first time I used it and I kept waiting to get sick but it never happened. I had a little dry mouth but it wasn't bad. That was the only side effect I experienced. The husband tried it though and he said it made him feel dizzy. Like someone else said, the side effects were quick to wear off once the patch was removed.

Looks like I will be travelling into some crazy weather this coming weekend as some storms are brewing. Just wondering if anyone could recommend to me which would be better to help with motion sickness. My mom will be joining me on this cruise, and she has a very weak stomach when it comes to motion.

Has anyone tried the patch and liked it? I know that the patch stays on for 3 days and prevents you from motion sickness, but I have heard some stories of people having some really bad side effects.
Really any medication questions should be directed to your/her physician. There may be issues with the patch and other medication interactions.

I would also suggest, if the doctor does prescribe the patch, that you do a "test run" of it. Apply it at home for the time indicated to see what, if any, side effects present themselves and how badly. Best to do this while within reach of personal care physicians, than onboard a ship somewhere at sea.

It has been several years since I have been on a cruise but I wore the patch. I get terrible motion sickness and the patch worked well, I do not remember any side effects. Next year I am going on another cruise and will be taking the patch with me again, may take Bonnine with me also, just in case.

I asked my doctor about the patch and he told me I couldn't use it because I take blood pressure medication.
But thankfully for me the Bonine does the trick.

I've never gotten sick on a cruise before but did have a terrible time last month in Vegas with all my cab rides. I tried Bonnine last week on a small boat ride and it knocked me out for the rest of the day…never got sick though! Maybe I'll give the patch a test drive before our upcoming cruise.

I've never gotten sick on a cruise before but did have a terrible time last month in Vegas with all my cab rides. I tried Bonnine last week on a small boat ride and it knocked me out for the rest of the day…never got sick though! Maybe I'll give the patch a test drive before our upcoming cruise.

I take the Bonine at bedtime and it helps me sleep, if you can't get the patch try this.

Wow, thanks everyone! I will bring both methods just in case I can't handle the side effects (if any) from the patch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter