Dramamine on Ship?

StephenKay

DVC Member VWL 2001
Hi there,

We normally buy Dramamine in the US prior to boarding although the next cruise starts in Dover UK, can we buy Dramamine on board?

Hi,

We were on the Barcelona to Dover cruise in June and they put Dramamine out when it got a bit rough, so they did have it then. I would guess they would have something as it can get rough in the Bay of Biscay.

I always bring Stugeron with me, which I find works! Have a good trip :)

:welcome:Riothecat, welcome to the DISboards! :welcome:

Yes, you can get Dramamine on board just by asking for it at the medical center.

(Have you tried ginger tablets, they really help without making you drowsy.)

Enjoy your cruise!

I was also going to suggest ginger pills. My husband takes them. They have always worked for him. And then he saw an episode of Mythbusters for cures for sea sickness, and they proved ginger works as well.

They have a box outside of medical that they keep full of Dramamine free for the taking. They sell it in the gift shop on board but I cannot imagine why one would buy it when they can get it free in Medical.

I took some on our recent cruise and it absolutely wiped me out. I spend that evening and 1/2 the next day drowsey and lethargic.

~Mike

I took some on our recent cruise and it absolutely wiped me out. I spend that evening and 1/2 the next day drowsey and lethargic.

~Mike

....and that's what they have sea days for! :lmao:

....and that's what they have sea days for! :lmao:

Unfortunately it was our day in Oslo. I ended up going back to the ship and taking a nap....and squandered 2 hrs of port time sleeping off a Dramamine hangover. I will not that that stuff again unless the ship is really, really rocking bad.

Unfortunately it was our day in Oslo. I ended up going back to the ship and taking a nap....and squandered 2 hrs of port time sleeping off a Dramamine hangover. I will not that that stuff again unless the ship is really, really rocking bad.

Oh, so sorry to hear that. I really like Bonine and generally only need it for crossing the gulf stream. I did take it for a couple of days during the EBTA when things got a little bumpy and also switched to ginger ale as my dinnertime beverage.

I use the sea sick patch, Scapalomine (dr. prescription). I use every cruise, and it does not make me drowsy and I never have a problem. My 1st 3 cruises I felt "off" the first night. This patch allows me to enjoy myself without any tinge of sea sickness. The patch states it could make you drowsy, but I have never noticed it. On the ship they do have Dramamine, but not the non-drowsy kind-that you can get ahead of time.

I was also going to suggest ginger pills. My husband takes them. They have always worked for him. And then he saw an episode of Mythbusters for cures for sea sickness, and they proved ginger works as well.

Clear ginger with your doctor. As Consumer Reports reported, it can interact with certain medications and health conditions with fatal results.

Anyone know how the patch works? Is it one patch that you wear for two weeks or a daily change patch?

Anyone know how the patch works? Is it one patch that you wear for two weeks or a daily change patch?

My friend wears one, but usually only a few days because she gets blurry vision with it. So on a long cruise she switches to queezy stomach to get her vision back!

I wear a patch behind my ear. My doctor writes the prescription to change after 3 days...I have never had a problem with any side effects at all. I love it...all the help with no side effects for me.

I'm a nurse and patients and myself have used the patch. Works great-only side effect I get compliants about are dry mouth. You could try them and if you don't like them take some bonine with you as a back up. A lot of people like bonine and it's over the counter.

They have a box outside of medical that they keep full of Dramamine free for the taking. They sell it in the gift shop on board but I cannot imagine why one would buy it when they can get it free in Medical.
You can also get it for free from Guest Services. They have it behind their counter free for the asking. If the seas are rough, they'll actually put them out on the counter.

Sayhello

I'm going on the 8/28 med and just picked up a Rx for the scopolamine patch.

I usually get motion sick (can't be a passenger in the car, have had difficulty on planes, and have vomitted on a helicopter, catamaran, etc). I have never actually vomitted on the cruise (or plane) but have been very dizzy and naseous at certain times on both. I've tried OTC stuff and ginger and seabands, but I find that if it doesn't knock me out, then it doesn't really help-- especially the ginger (which for me does absolutely nothing).

So i got the Rx, but I am very apprehensive with using them...anyone else use them with or without side effects?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter