• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dragging myself away from WDW parks for even a day...

Planogirl - Interesting! I had read that the Universal parks were actually more crowded, so good to hear that it isn't the case.
Certain attractions get very busy but of course the same rules apply as at WDW. Hit those at rope drop and then go with the flow.

And by all means avoid Christmas week! I wouldn't want to be at any of them this past week. ;)

Give IOA a try! I was loathe to do anything non-Disney, but my family's love of Harry Potter finally convinced me to give up a WDW day on our last trip. We all loved IOA and can't wait to go back in April! My kids (9 and 11) are more excited about that day than any of the 4 Disney parks.

We LOVE the offsite activities and accommodations, as you can see from my signature. With five trip trips to Orlando now under our belt, we have done a whole host of offsite activities.

Off the top of my head, and in no real particular order...........

Discovery Cove
SeaWorld
Aquatica
Universal Studios
Islands of Adventure
CityWalk
Gatorland
Wild Willy's Airboat Tour
ICE! at Gaylord Palms
Shrek Feast
Outta Control Dinner Show
Mini golf (at Congo River, Pirates Cove, Gator Golf & Adventure Park, Volcano Island, and Hawaiian Rumble)
Showcase of Citrus
Cocoa Beach
Kissimmee Go Karts
Titanic Experience

I am sure there's more.....its hard to remember them all!

We've shopped at both Premium Outlet Mall locations, the Florida Mall, the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores, and various locations in Kissimmee and International Drive.

And yes....we have visited all four Disney parks, both Disney waterparks, and DTD.

Even after all that, we *still* have a to-do list. Each trip we try to add something new. Its one of the reasons we LOVE travelling to Orlando....there's never a shortage of new experiences to try. Characters in Flight is still on my wish list, as is Busch Gardens. I think we're going to visit Daytona Beach for a day this coming August. I would also like to visit the Florida Aquarium in Tampa.

Remember that Harry Potter will be in both Universal parks soon. It should be interesting.

Having DME instead of renting a car is a big thing for me too - we took a cab to Seaworld last year and it wasn't that bad ($20ish) but now I'm not very into Seaworld so that's off the list (Blackfish thing... not meaning to start a debate) I really enjoyed US/IoA when I was a teen and I'd love to see it now, but I got my Disney AP to save money on our tickets and I don't want to turn around and buy new admission for somewhere else. Couple that with having to fork out for front-of-line passes too, and I wind up with no desire to go off-property

Going to Orlando in Feb for a work conference though and they scheduled us a beach day... kinda excited!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I love Disney so much that I just can't bring myself to go anywhere else. Yet. We have been there 5 times and our trips have always been for 7 - 10 days and I still want to spend every moment in the Disney Parks. :)

Not exactly the same, but we are long time Disney AP holders. Except dd is nearly nine, and one inch too short for the big girl rides at Universal ... and a huge HP fan. We made a promise two years ago that the day she was tall enough, we'd trade a year off Disney and get Universal APs. I'm dying inside, but there's no turning back on this promise, she'll never let me forget it if I tried.

My boyfriend and I were Universal AP holders a few years ago, we'd go when she was in school, and we love the thrill rides. It's a different experience than Disney, hands down, but if you have a thrill rider or a HP fan .. you might have to cross over, even for a day.

A day or two at the most, and usually that's just to go to Universal. Sometimes a stop to Kennedy (I'm a huge NASA nerd.) I don't like beaches (that's why you don't show four year olds JAWS) so Universal and Kennedy are the only two things I'd leave the Disney Bubble for.

Doing both parks at Universal in one day is totally doable. I went Jan 2013, and the crowds were light. I got there at opening, went to the studios first, did most of the major rides, and then went over to IOA and did the same. Even had lunch at Mythos (lunch was good, but service was off. The only time that has ever happened). Will you be able to do every single ride? No, but you should be able to get all the headliners before the park closes. I think I even left an hour or two before close having done all the rides I wanted too.

I'm the other way around, I can't imagine being in Orlando and NOT visiting Universal's IOA. That's why our trips are always over 20 days. Plenty of time to enjoy WDW, Universal, Seaworld and everything else Orlando has to offer. My goal for next trip (besides all the new Potter stuff) is to swim with the dolphins at Discovery Cove, it's something I've always wanted to do and we purposely scheduled it to the beginning of the trip to avoid cold temperatures.

One thing that I've learned last trip though, leaving the bubble SUCKS, like, really sucks. it's like being ripped apart of your favorite place. That's why we're turning things around and doing 11 days at Universal's Royal Pacific Resort before moving on to Disney and our home at POFQ.

FP+ is perfect for IOA.

We cab over and open IOA to knock out HP first thing, maybe 2 times. By noon we have done everything we want, many things twice.

Cab back to WDW and hit a park that eve and a night show. Its a great day. fP+ will make it even better.

We have done both US parks as well by late afternoon, still hit Fantasmic to put the cherry on top.

FP+ is perfect for IOA.

We cab over and open IOA to knock out HP first thing, maybe 2 times. By noon we have done everything we want, many things twice.

Cab back to WDW and hit a park that eve and a night show. Its a great day. fP+ will make it even better.

We have done both US parks as well by late afternoon, still hit Fantasmic to put the cherry on top.

Please send that feedback to Disney. :thumbsup2

Please send that feedback to Disney. :thumbsup2

I'm sure they read these things. Actually since we are adding this day to our visit they getting another park day, dinner, drinks and additional hotel night from us, so not all bad news for them.

FP+ actually makes IOA a day trip and not an offsite stay IMO.

Cab back to BLT with FP+ for Splash, BTMRR, Space at 6,7,8PM, then a parade and Wishes. 10 minutes later in the room for room service.

In February we will be staying offsite for 9 days/8 nights, and have a rental car. We don't plan anything on the first and last days due to airline travel, getting/returning the car, driving to and check-in/out of the condo, and a quick Walmart trip. We will take one day to look at houses (possible future move to Orlando!), one day to volunteer at GKTW, one day relaxing at the condo pool/DTD/mini golf/Boardwalk, leaving 4 for WDW parks.

I understand where you are coming from, OP. We've been going down to Disney at least once a year since 2006 and have yet to leave Disney property. I like the Disney bubble, what can I say. Certainly probably more normal to go out and see what else Orlando has to offer! So far, I haven't even been remotely tempted to leave property. :)

I have never wanted to leave WDW either but we did this past August. We were there for 12 days, and it finally felt like it wouldn't be terrible to spend a day at US. We did a day at EPCOT, then took a cab and stayed over at one of the US resorts (think it was Royal Pacific). Because we stayed there, we got in early and had that unlimited pass thing (important to me because we'd only be there for one day).

WWOHP was amazing. Seriously. I am glad we went just for the HP piece of it. We did other rides in that park, and then headed over to the other park. I think we only did the Minion ride (ridiculously long wait but SO cool) and saw Optimus Prime, and then we decided to head back to WDW around 5:00 p.m.

We were only gone about 24 hours but it was enough for me. I am very glad we went, and I would love to go back to IoA again but I probably wouldn't go unless we were there for more than 10 days.

I felt like we were home when we got back to the Yacht Club. :)

We do have another trip this summer and we are leaving the parks to do a 3 day Disney cruise after spending 8 days at the parks. When we get back, we're back in the parks for 2 more nights. I contemplated going to US, but WDW won out.

FP+ is perfect for IOA.

This is what I keep thinking. We spend more days than this at Universal but it seems like it might be easy to spend the day at the Universal parks and then go ride some FP+ rides in the evening. The Universal parks tend to close early anyway and this way you get more bang for your buck particularly if you don't have time for a long stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter