Dr. Jones and the Spitting Camel - Link to Alaska Cruise TR 9/18

A medical emergency. What could that be? As the line grew behind us everyone wondered. As much as it sucked to have JUST missed the train, we were pretty darn blessed to be at the front of the line. Why? Well the magic of Disney CM’s of course! I wish SO badly I’d noted this CM’s name. With humor and grace she took advantage of the wait time to educate and entertain. We learned some great information about heatstroke, and just how common it is at Disney. Not sure if AK is worse than other parks but I’d bet it is. Her understanding was that they suspected that was the case but it had not been confirmed. They can actually see the road from part of the platform so were watching for the EMT’s to arrive as that would at least be getting the poor person to an area where they could get the right kind of care and then the train could resume.

At the time, standing there, drinking our bottled smart water and feeling appropriately hydrated ourselves, I have to admit we probably felt smug. Like we would never be so silly as to not drink enough liquids in that kind of heat. We did feel terrible for the person but were hoping the EMT would hurry up. She then spent some time pointing out hidden mickey’s and some great trivia questions/game type interaction with the crowd. I don’t recall really what she asked, the games etc. other than she truly made what could have been a painful experience, fly by. She was literally right in front of us so at times it was almost like a private planet watch tour guide…except we couldn’t move.

We tried to look at the road but all we saw was this

IMG_6168.jpg

Whatever that is

Finally…we saw this!

IMG_6170.jpg

It was now 12:26

When you are stuck, running late, things always seem s….l….o…w…e…r…………….. the train SLOWLY pulled in

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

And we were off!

Or as off as a slow moving train can go. 20 minutes later (having reached a unanimous decision on the train to say “screw it”) we arrived here.

IMG_6173.jpg

IMG_6174.jpg

Yep. We were hot, annoyed and didn’t really care if everything got messed up. We were going to ride the rapids, no matter what!

What follows is a serious of amazingly random pictures of pretty much nothing. Seriously, I swear. My new camera does MUCH better at these things so bear with me. Hey, if nothing else it sorta proves we were there. Not that it’s all that recognizable. Of course you do have to bear in mind the following.

1. We were beyond late and knew it
2. We had FPs
3. We RAN through the FP line to get on our raft
4. Hence…the crappy pictures.
IMG_6175.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_6185.jpg

IMG_6187.jpg

Given the time, there was not time for the requisite picture of the four drowned rats that came off that raft. We were SOAKED. To the bone. And happy. Very happy. We really really wanted to ride EE, really really wanted to grab a beer from the stand just outside EE but…decided to be sort of responsible and get our behinds to DTD and hook up with the rest of the crew.

We headed out to the buses, sad to be leaving and feeling like yet again, we’d not done nearly enough at AK but feeling much much better after our rapid ride.

Luckily, we didn’t have long to wait for a bus. We took an AKL bus, figuring we’d either transfer to a DTD bus or grab a cab. We also figured we’d just get off at whichever stop came first, Jambo or Kidani. Kidani was first. We headed over to wait for a bus. After all, the cab had taken forever to arrive on our first night there we figured the bus had to be faster.

We waited.

We waited.

We waited.

No bus.

No bus of ANY kind.

After 20 minutes we decided to bail and get a cab. This, thankfully, came rather quickly. It is amazing how much eaiser it is to get a cab as a party of four, versus a party of six. Sad but true. Still, we were late. And I swear….DTD seems to be a million miles away at times, from wherever we are, especially when you are running late.

Would we make it in time for the boys to have Taylors dream meal at Rain Forest Café? Would the girls get to eat at all? Would we make our tea?
Would I look like a drowned rat for our tea? Would I FREEZE in my drowned rat stage in the cab AC?

So many questions. Such a long cab ride!

Did we make it?

Beautiful update! I know exactly how you feel at the S L O W moving transportation and the urge to MOVE! It is very frustrating, and as much as I tried to slow down and "smell the roses" there were times we needed to be somewhere or give up the goods. I really do hope you made, despite your drowned rat appearance to your Tea- for as fancy as it is, they are still pretty relaxed about appearance. And I hope Taylor got the meal of his dreams too. We shall see!!

Hey, I've never even taken any pictures of the queue for Kali River Rapids, so your pictures are better than mine!

I'm glad you had a great time on it, even though you got soaked. I'll bet that was good for a laugh.

No bus of any kind for 20 minutes? That's unusual. It's usually every bus except the one you want.

Hurray for riding Kali! Nothing really beats it on a hot day at the Animal Kingdom, and I would hazard to guess it helps keep heatstroke at bay. ;)

You got some very interesting pictures in line, Cynthia! :laughing::goodvibes I am with Glenn, I don't think I have ever taken pictures in the queue.

So glad you finally got back from RPW. :lmao:

I have taken pictures of the KRR queue but now I figure out when:laughing:

Good for you taking the time to ride. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

It always seems when you are in a rush, transportation is not your friend. Maybe it is a sign to slow down but really it is so annoying when it happens.

Soaked and cold in the cab, not looking a drowned rat at GF and I sure hope everyone eats. :thumbsup2

Beautiful update! I know exactly how you feel at the S L O W moving transportation and the urge to MOVE! It is very frustrating, and as much as I tried to slow down and "smell the roses" there were times we needed to be somewhere or give up the goods. I really do hope you made, despite your drowned rat appearance to your Tea- for as fancy as it is, they are still pretty relaxed about appearance. And I hope Taylor got the meal of his dreams too. We shall see!!

Ah well, that's the beauty of a pony tail and straight hair. Makes it easier to hide drowned ratishness. The white cotton shirt was a different story. :rotfl:

I DID have a cami on though.

The drama over adding in the stupid RF Cafe really annoyed both Jeff and I but I think (hope) we are the ONLY ones who knew it. Tay truly couldn't grasp that you just couldn't show up, that other dining plans had been made and that this would be OOP. His exact words were "It's never been a problem anywhere else we've gone to eat". Uh yeah dude. Because we had RESERVATIONS! At the same time, he doesn't speak up and ask for much so...you want to deliver. Within reason.

At the time we figured that DTD would be the better choice but in hindsight AK would have worked SO much better.

Hey, I've never even taken any pictures of the queue for Kali River Rapids, so your pictures are better than mine!
even though they are pictures of um...almost nothing. :rotfl:

I'm glad you had a great time on it, even though you got soaked. I'll bet that was good for a laugh.

We NEEDED to get soaked. Daresay we WANTED to get soaked. It was fine and just what the doctor ordered! Would have been better if we could have grabbed that african amber we both really wanted on the way out but...oh well. Honestly given the bus situation, we could have but who knew.

No bus of any kind for 20 minutes? That's unusual. It's usually every bus except the one you want.

It was CRAZY! And hot and deserted. Like the buses were just avoiding Kidani entirely. Really wierd.

Hurray for riding Kali! Nothing really beats it on a hot day at the Animal Kingdom, and I would hazard to guess it helps keep heatstroke at bay. ;)

I bet it does, assuming you don't get heatstroke waiting to get on it! It was the right call for sure.

You got some very interesting pictures in line, Cynthia! :laughing::goodvibes I am with Glenn, I don't think I have ever taken pictures in the queue.

that's one word for it. :rotfl:

So glad you finally got back from RPW. :lmao:
Oh my, so was I!

I have taken pictures of the KRR queue but now I figure out when:laughing:

Good for you taking the time to ride. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

It was almost not even a question. Jeff and I looked at each other and it was like "we are riding, no matter what!" :rotfl:

It always seems when you are in a rush, transportation is not your friend. Maybe it is a sign to slow down but really it is so annoying when it happens.

So very true. And hard to tell yourself it's a sign (when it is) and calm yourself down instead of working yourself into a frenzy

Soaked and cold in the cab, not looking a drowned rat at GF and I sure hope everyone eats. :thumbsup2

I wasn't really worried about not eating, it was more a matter of where and when. There's always food somewhere. But there was a LOT riding on both RF Cafe (Taylor) and the Tea (Sandie), who both had their hearts SET on those things.

I was so impressed with you going off-schedule and taking the train ride. When you said the train broke down, I instantly felt that panic feeling for you. That is the worst!! I hate feeling trapped like that, with no way to solve the problem. I remember following the mob out of AK behind the parade in the middle of summer and it was the worst feeling. Hot & trapped.

I'm so proud of you for still going on the ride anyway, even though you knew you were running late. ;)

BTW - I love the idea of a a "never done" morning. You would feel a sense of accompishment, no matter what you did.

I was so impressed with you going off-schedule and taking the train ride. When you said the train broke down, I instantly felt that panic feeling for you. That is the worst!! I hate feeling trapped like that, with no way to solve the problem. I remember following the mob out of AK behind the parade in the middle of summer and it was the worst feeling. Hot & trapped.

I'm so proud of you for still going on the ride anyway, even though you knew you were running late. ;)

BTW - I love the idea of a a "never done" morning. You would feel a sense of accompishment, no matter what you did.

Alison!!!!! Nice to see you :goodvibes How is that beautiful little boy?

Yeah, trapped is NOT a good feeling at all. Parades will definitely do that and push us over the edge as well.

We really needed that ride, it was the right thing to do, late or not. The never done morning was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not really sure how I completely missed this update. But I did!

So it was heat stroke! Not surprising. I'm sure I saw a heat stroke emergency the last time I was there during the summer. Well, I didn't exactly see the person, but I saw the medics coming straight through the race car track at MK with a stretcher. They must have all times of secret entrances to all the parks.

I'm so glad the CM was entertaining while you were waiting. That makes the wait that much more tolerable.

I love your queue pictures. I have never taken any pictures back there. I guess I am too worried about getting my rain poncho on before the ride starts. :rotfl: Good for you for going for the plunge - literally. But I am sure those wet clothes did not make for a comfortable afternoon.

I say everyone makes lunch, but I'm kind-of wondering if you scrap the tea.

I didn't make it over to AK on the last trip, I have done Rafiki's a couple of times mostly for characters and only in January not sure I would want to do the wait in the summer heat....we will see what happens coming up.

I have to totally agree with you, when you are running late EVERYTHING seems to slow down to make things later!! Good for you guys for riding Kali and enjoying every minute of it!!!!

Can't wait to find out the endings to this tale...

Morning Cynthia !!I am trying to catch up on all my threads today before I go to work and I figured it out I don't need to work much today at all to make my 80 hours for the 2 weeks:banana::cloud9:

:wave: Cynthia!!

I probably need to start at the beginning - today is a perfect day to curl up with the computer and get caught up!

But for now I need to run (literally - plus there is a thunderstorm for the PM here - )

Love the pictures from AK - sad there is only my imagination for the drowned rat pictures!! :rotfl2:

I'm not really sure how I completely missed this update. But I did!

No worries, a lot of folks did, it's been slow over here. I need to get to the rest of the day but was kind of waiting since it had been so slow (which probably made it more slow lol). Update later today most likely since the rain will ruin my yardwork plans

So it was heat stroke! Not surprising. I'm sure I saw a heat stroke emergency the last time I was there during the summer. Well, I didn't exactly see the person, but I saw the medics coming straight through the race car track at MK with a stretcher. They must have all times of secret entrances to all the parks.

I'm so glad the CM was entertaining while you were waiting. That makes the wait that much more tolerable.

That was her guess and it must have been severe if they brought in an actual ambulance although I guess that's the only way out if you can't take the train. She was great.

I love your queue pictures. I have never taken any pictures back there. I guess I am too worried about getting my rain poncho on before the ride starts. :rotfl: Good for you for going for the plunge - literally. But I am sure those wet clothes did not make for a comfortable afternoon.

I say everyone makes lunch, but I'm kind-of wondering if you scrap the tea.

Well they are pictures but not of much. I never take them either as I want to make sure the camera is well packed for protection.

I didn't make it over to AK on the last trip, I have done Rafiki's a couple of times mostly for characters and only in January not sure I would want to do the wait in the summer heat....we will see what happens coming up.

They do have cute characters! You are good about getting those pics, I need to work on that, wish I'd have gotten at least one more but I never felt like standing in line.

I have to totally agree with you, when you are running late EVERYTHING seems to slow down to make things later!! Good for you guys for riding Kali and enjoying every minute of it!!!!

Can't wait to find out the endings to this tale...

We needed Kali! It was a great reset button :)

Morning Cynthia !!I am trying to catch up on all my threads today before I go to work and I figured it out I don't need to work much today at all to make my 80 hours for the 2 weeks:banana::cloud9:

Hi Rosie!

:wave: Cynthia!!

I probably need to start at the beginning - today is a perfect day to curl up with the computer and get caught up!

But for now I need to run (literally - plus there is a thunderstorm for the PM here - )

Love the pictures from AK - sad there is only my imagination for the drowned rat pictures!! :rotfl2:

Hi Sandy!

We were SOAKED and the white blouse had definitely lost its nice crispness that I'd hoped would carry me from AK to the Tea....

and no worries about catching up, I've got days to go on this TR still, just glad you are here

:welcome:

and have a great run

Alison!!!!! Nice to see you :goodvibes How is that beautiful little boy?

Yeah, trapped is NOT a good feeling at all. Parades will definitely do that and push us over the edge as well.

We really needed that ride, it was the right thing to do, late or not. The never done morning was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, I have not been on the Dis very consistently at all lately. I'm hoping to change that starting soon! Dylan is doing great. I don't know if you saw on FB but he broke his wrist a couple of weeks ago. He fell off monkey bars at the playground, cried, then played soccer for an hour so we didn't think it was broken. I took him to the dr. the next day & his wrist was fractured in 2 places. :scared1: He is a tough little kid. We have the cast for probably 2 more weeks, then we'll see. So sad to see your kid hurt like that.

I know, I have not been on the Dis very consistently at all lately. I'm hoping to change that starting soon! Dylan is doing great. I don't know if you saw on FB but he broke his wrist a couple of weeks ago. He fell off monkey bars at the playground, cried, then played soccer for an hour so we didn't think it was broken. I took him to the dr. the next day & his wrist was fractured in 2 places. :scared1: He is a tough little kid. We have the cast for probably 2 more weeks, then we'll see. So sad to see your kid hurt like that.

I haven't been on FB consistently, I definitely missed that! Evan had a similar thing happen in 1st or 2nd grade. We thought he'd just jammed his finger playing foursquare and waited for it to calm down. 2 weeks later I finally took him in...fractured pinky finger!

Poor baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So glad you got to ride Kali...it is a favorite of mine (DH never wants to ride it though).

I'm not sure which park is hotter -- AK or the Studios??? To me they can both be brutal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter