Dr. Jones and the Spitting Camel - Link to Alaska Cruise TR 9/18

Well in 2009 it was K&T's first trip and we just weren't sure what they'd think, how they'd react, how much we could do, all of that. I planned around ADR's and evening EMH but that was about it. I also tried to schedule flexible time and down time.

The end result was we had a REALLY hard time getting the teens up in the morning, meaning making it late to parks at peak crowd times during President's week. I really hadn't made back up plans in the event that happened. I also found that flexible time just resulted in a bunch of "I don't know, what do you want to do" over and over and over again. The crowds were brutal and it had a rather huge impact at times. And I got VERY crabby with the teens more than once. I didn't want to repeat that (for all our sakes).

This was also a really different trip just based on the time of year. In 09 it was Feb. We didn't need mid day pool breaks from the heat. We got to the parks late...and then closed them down. For this trip, we did, or at least I needed to try to plan for those breaks. Which made for a lot of potential hopping and just more logistics to consider and map out.

The plans for this trip tried to incorporate those learning, and mid day break needs in a few different ways.

1. Identify what mornings were key and make it clear to all that if you were up cool, if not, I'd leave you there. No penalty or judgment mind you, just here are the consequences of certain decisions.

2. Have a really good feel for the options at all parks on any day if we needed to move things around.

3. Have a really food feel for what was flexible, and what was not. In this case, we had 2 very good dinner options to address how tired or not we were. I would not have done that in the past. Frowned upon or not, it gave me peace of mind and 11th hour flexibility. This day had a ton of flexibility in it. MK or not depending on how people felt, AK or not depending on how people felt, etc.

4. Have a plan for the scheduled down time. It could be thrown out the window but it became clear that the clan needed direction and a plan to start with. As you can see on this day, sometimes they really embraced it!

I also felt I had to have a more structured plan as once my in-laws arrived, they'd be seeing things for the first time but only had 4 days to there would be some re-do of things....except moving a lot slower and I actually wanted to make sure I could just relax and not care if it was slow once they got there instead of stressing that we hadn't seen things.

I did make note of key times (fireworks, parades, shows, etc) although I can honestly say for the most part we didn't look at them or have them impact any choices.

Picking battles is key! it was employed often during the trip.

What a wonderfully detailed response. It sounds like many of those issues will not be issues for us, as Max is only three and is generally up around seven. :lmao: But I'll try and remember your words of wisdom when he's older and I'm losing my mind.

What a wonderfully detailed response. It sounds like many of those issues will not be issues for us, as Max is only three and is generally up around seven. :lmao: But I'll try and remember your words of wisdom when he's older and I'm losing my mind.

Yeah, somehow I don't think you'll have to worry about the evening EMH!

Although given your time of year, if you can make rope drop it will help a ton.

Wow, I don't know how you guys were still standing. You are an ambitious bunch. I hope you got to ride EE and still got to eat at Sanaa.

I'm going to join in with everyone else and put my money (one million imaginary Disney dollars!) on you making both EE and Sanaa. I bet the wait wasn't really 15 minutes.

Personally, I'm just impressed that you were all still awake at this point! (We all know the bus-nap doesn't count.)

I'll tell you though, this entire trip really reinforced that my family likes and needs a plan and all the pre-planning and actual touring plan general outlines really served us a heck of a lot better this time than the "this park this day" approach I took in 2009.
I learned this on my last trip, too. Even though it was just me and my mom, and both of us were very relaxed and non-crabby about everything, I learned it's better when we have a more detailed plan, to avoid all that "I dunno, what do you want to do?" back and forth-ing. Besides, when I'm tired (as I usually am at WDW - tired, but happy!), I find it much easier to say no to my plan than to not have a plan in the first place! If that makes any sense?

Wow, I don't know how you guys were still standing. You are an ambitious bunch. I hope you got to ride EE and still got to eat at Sanaa.

Too ambitious?

:rotfl:

I'm going to join in with everyone else and put my money (one million imaginary Disney dollars!) on you making both EE and Sanaa. I bet the wait wasn't really 15 minutes.

I'm impressed with how much faith everyone has in us! :laughing:

Personally, I'm just impressed that you were all still awake at this point! (We all know the bus-nap doesn't count.)

No, they don't count but they can be hard to recover from. Technically we were operating on a max of 4 hours of sleep over 36 hours at that point and some of us less than that.

I learned this on my last trip, too. Even though it was just me and my mom, and both of us were very relaxed and non-crabby about everything, I learned it's better when we have a more detailed plan, to avoid all that "I dunno, what do you want to do?" back and forth-ing. Besides, when I'm tired (as I usually am at WDW - tired, but happy!), I find it much easier to say no to my plan than to not have a plan in the first place! If that makes any sense?

Exactly!

Easier to say no to the plan than to not have a plan, that is it in a nutshell. It also, for reasons that entirely escape me, makes it easier to come up with an alternative plan that suits everyone because you can understand why the original plan won't work. Whereas in the absence of a plan there is no frame of reference.

I'm still 10 pages behind, but I really enjoyed your MK update. The boys looks so fab with their new haircuts and you look like you had a great couple of hours in MK, despite the numerous bio breaks (which I can relate to since I am on a mission to visit every BR in WDW).

Oh well - gotta get ready for work now. I will try to catch up later today!!!!!!

Love it that you finally made it to a park and I can't wait to see your rooms!

A cliffhanger! You tease! :laughing:

I say you went for it - there is always The Mara over at AKL if Saana won't let you in!! I hope you went for it....you can always blame Disney bus transportation. ;)

And the big questions is...did the ride(s) wake the kids up like they said? Or were they falling asleep during dinner?

I'm still 10 pages behind, but I really enjoyed your MK update. The boys looks so fab with their new haircuts and you look like you had a great couple of hours in MK, despite the numerous bio breaks (which I can relate to since I am on a mission to visit every BR in WDW).

Oh well - gotta get ready for work now. I will try to catch up later today!!!!!!

Love it that you finally made it to a park and I can't wait to see your rooms!

Welcome back! We did have a great couple of hours in MK, a perfect start to the trip.

I needed the bio breaks too so it worked out just fine, and you're not all that far behind really, we are still on the same day!

psst...
I think you need a new ticker......:goodvibes

A cliffhanger! You tease! :laughing:

who me? :rotfl:

I say you went for it - there is always The Mara over at AKL if Saana won't let you in!! I hope you went for it....you can always blame Disney bus transportation. ;)

I considered Mara as a fall back option

And the big questions is...did the ride(s) wake the kids up like they said? Or were they falling asleep during dinner?

yes, that's a much bigger question isn't it!

I say you went for it too!!!

interesting

Just to be different I'm going to say you don't ride Everest. That hungry bellies and the thought of missing supper win out :confused3

You are brave and intrepid vacationers, that's all I have to say. :lmao:

I can't wait to see what happens next. :thumbsup2

glad i can get my vote in before you reveal...im saying you left the park and went to dinner.

I love your room location and I remember staring at the part of the building on several occasions. I love the first official drink on the balcony and I just want you to know that I am seriously packing rum for our May trip. And a bottle of wine, so tell me what you like cause they will be packed!!!!! :rotfl:

Ok, I am still updates behind but I am getting closer. I really hope you made it to Sanaa because that meal was sooooooo good! Loved it!

Man.. it takes me a few days to get caught up after a weekend. Once I'm all caught up it is the weekend again. :eek:

I guess the late flight was getting to you guys. I give you a lot of credit through... you were pressing on and not letting a little tiredness ruin your fun! :lmao:

I don't know what it is but I really could care less about Dinosaur.:confused3 I think I like the que and preshow better than I like the actual ride. :rotfl:

I'm thinking you did ride EE... you were already over there. :yes:

Great updates Cynthia!

Love the room view! Your travel agent did good. Except that she didn't. Apparently. The afternoon cool down sounded great. As to your evening, I'm thinking you went for it. Because once a feller unleashes the inner park beast there is no stopping it.

I crave Salisbury Steak.

With smashed taters and gravy.

And I don’t know why.

That is the key right there! :lmao:

Isn't it though!

glad i can get my vote in before you reveal...im saying you left the park and went to dinner.

One more dissenter from the masses!

I love your room location and I remember staring at the part of the building on several occasions. I love the first official drink on the balcony and I just want you to know that I am seriously packing rum for our May trip. And a bottle of wine, so tell me what you like cause they will be packed!!!!! :rotfl:

:thumbsup2 for rum AND wine! I'm an equal opportunity drinker. Ok, not really. Wine chat for sure!

I can't thank you enough for the idea, it was fabulous! It really was a great part of the building, though quite the trek from the lobby, surprisingly. Thankfully there were great shortcuts to the pool and RF.

Ok, I am still updates behind but I am getting closer. I really hope you made it to Sanaa because that meal was sooooooo good! Loved it!

We shall see!

Man.. it takes me a few days to get caught up after a weekend. Once I'm all caught up it is the weekend again. :eek:

Story of my life!

I guess the late flight was getting to you guys. I give you a lot of credit through... you were pressing on and not letting a little tiredness ruin your fun! :lmao:

We were trying not to for sure, at that moment we were all feeling pretty good. If nothing else, that dinosaur will wake you up.

I don't know what it is but I really could care less about Dinosaur.:confused3 I think I like the que and preshow better than I like the actual ride. :rotfl:

Oh I think a lot of people agree, Taylor actually thinks it's the "stupidest" ride ever

I'm thinking you did ride EE... you were already over there. :yes:
We were over there, it's true

Great updates Cynthia!

Thanks GB!

Love the room view!
we loved it, once I looked at it from the right angle anyway and got over my noise paranoia

Your travel agent did good. Except that she didn't. Apparently.

exactly

The afternoon cool down sounded great.

it was!

As to your evening, I'm
thinking you went for it. Because once a feller unleashes the inner park beast there is no stopping it.

:rotfl:

that assumes we all have an inner park beast.

I crave Salisbury Steak.

With smashed taters and gravy.

And I don’t know why.

oh that sounds GOOD right now. I need to go get lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter