Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde visit WDW: A horrifying Sept 11' TR: Final Update 10/11 #137

crostorfer

Gryffindor Gal
"For there never was such a tale of woe, as of Juliet and her Romeo"--William Shakespere.

"You know this is hell on earth for me, right?"--My Husband, (aka Mr. Hyde at that point), within the first hour of arriving at WDW.

Apparently, Billy Shakespere never tried to take a non-Disney lover to WDW.

You know those glowing, happy trip reports? The ones that are all sunshine and lollipops and are full of magical moments and pixie dust, and families that skip happily together hand in hand through the World basking in the magic? Yeah, this isn't one of those. Not by a long shot. That said, this TR is not for the faint of heart, but I will do my best to at least make it entertaining for anyone who ventures past this first spiel. And I promise, there is light at the end of the tunnel here, it's just that in order to get to the light, at certain points it's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally dark.

First things first, let's get the introductions out of the way. I, your narrator for this disjointed anti-fairy tale, am Casey. Fun loving, Disney addict, and x-ray tech extraordinare. This was my 4th trip to WDW, the third in 12 months. (Did I mention I'm an addict?)

caseykassidyPoly.jpg

With me in both the above and below pic is my partner in crime and fellow Disney traveler, my daughter Kassidy. This was also her third trip in 12 months. She loves WDW just as much as I do and considers herself an expert. Someday she wants to be a Disney CM.

Now, this is Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. My husband, Aaron. This was his first time to ANYTHING Disney. In fact, he's never even been to the Disney Store, or even a Disney movie with us before now that I think about it.

bcfd0a5a.jpg

Yeah. That pic pretty much sums up the trip at that point.

Now, let me explain some things before I begin. I am not delusional. I never suspected that WDW would be a place that Dr. Jekyll/Hyde would enjoy. The man won't wait for a table at the cafe down the street for more than 5 minutes before getting frustrated and walking out. Literally, 5 minutes and then he throws a stomping fit and leaves. That alone should tell you something. I never harbored the delusion that his nature would somehow change upon arrival to a place where crowds and lines are a way of life. Add to that screaming children and intense heat coupled with lovebugs and you have a recipe for virtual disaster. It was, in part, for this reason that Kassidy and I went alone the last two trips. And then, the planning for this trip began...

This was originally supposed to a Mommy-Daughter weekend. Quick trip, stay at a value, see our favorites, go to MNSSHP, that's it. I told my husband my plans early last June and after some inital grumbling that included the word, "again", he stayed quiet about the subject. Imagine my surprise when the first of August, after I had the hotel/dining and airfare booked, Dr. Jekyll came home and announced, "Surprise! I took leave, I'm coming with you!"

Grrrrrrr....Great honey. That's great. At that point I took a deep breath and prayed for patience, because I knew I was going to need it. The pit started in the stomach at that point.

Of course, there were some speedbumps that came along with this sudden announcement, including several resort changes, refiguring all our ADR's, and buying a roundtrip ticket for Dr. Jekyll that cost as much as BOTH my daughter's and mine combined.

As anyone with a non-Disney loving spouse can sympathize with, I tried. I did. I tried hard. Not make him fall in love with everything, but just to try to educate Dr. Jekyll on what a WDW vacation is. It's like nothing he's ever seen or done before. You say, "theme park", to a novice and they think something along the scale of Six Flags. I tried to have conversations, I drew maps, I got out all my old guidebooks and begged him to look at them. I tried everything possible to try to explain to the man what he was in for. It all fell on deaf ears, with a lot of "yes dear" type responses. I TRIED! He imagined a large theme park with one central area surrounded by a bunch of hotels, and you could walk to everything. And so, imagine his surprise when we drove under the Disney World arch when you enter property and he saw..............nothing. At that point it finally dawned on him that this was a lot bigger than anything he had in mind and that getting places was going to take some time. But I am getting ahead of myself, I'll get to all of that soon.

All that said, as I mentioned before, it wasn't ALL bad. There are peaks along with the valleys, but you, dear reader, are going to have to wait for them. Gotta stick with the bad to get to the good you know.

And so our trip begins, on a balmy Seattle morning at 5am, where we head on a harrowing journey towards Orlando for better or for worse...

I am so excited that you are doing a trip report.:thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear about your experience at MNSSHP. I haven't seen many good things mentioned about the party this year.

I did see your pictures on the MNSSHP pictures thread and Kassidy looked so pretty.:lovestruc

I am so excited that you are doing a trip report.:thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear about your experience at MNSSHP. I haven't seen many good things mentioned about the party this year.

I did see your pictures on the MNSSHP pictures thread and Kassidy looked so pretty.:lovestruc

Hi Diane!!! We had fun at the party, but not quite as much fun as last year. There were twice as many people there this year and I really noticed how much more crowded it felt with Toontown gone. I think we were just there on a fluke week though, lots of people in town for the marathon and the 40th. I think the parties will calm down for the next couple of weeks, it should be less crowded for you guys in a couple weeks. :thumbsup2

OK, you got me hooked, I'm in for the ride. popcorn::

Marita

Welcome!!! You are in for a ride on my emotional roller coaster, LOL.

This looks like it's going to be good!

Hello! Parts of it are good. Other parts....ehhhh....not so much. ;)

*Note to readers: I apologize ahead of time if references to wanting to throw toddlers out emergency exit doors on an airplane offends you. Trust me though, if you were on that flight with me, you'd understand the desire.*

*No pictures were taken the first 12 hours of our trip. Cue the foreboding music.*

Dr. Jekyll didn't sleep well. That was how the day began. We grumped around the hotel at 5am getting our stuff together to meet the airport shuttle, and there was already tension in the air. At that point, I chalked it all up to exhaustion, but I should have known better.

We had a Southwest Airlines flight and I smiled at my own airport prowess, when Dr. Jekyll saw the line at the counter and groaned. I quickly whisked us outside to curbside check in, and in 5 minutes we were on our way to security. I even got a "Wow, you know what you are doing here don't you?". Score 1 for Team Casey. :woohoo:

My excitement quickly waned when we got to security, however, and found the line to be nearly 45 minutes long at that point. Once again the air was let out of my balloon when with a groan and a roll of the eyes Dr. Jekyll muttered, "I guess I better get used to waiting in lines." Score 1 for Team Negativity.

We discovered a secret though, families traveling with children under a certain age don't have to wait in the regular line, there is a seperate, much shorter line, and when we discovered that, we went right through with no problems.

At this point I should mention that all we had donuts, coffee and juice in the hotel room before we left. That was breakfast. That was all we had in our tummies for the morning, save airplane peanuts and pretzels. We had planned on grabbing something quick for lunch before our connecting flight in Chicago. This is important to note, because it becomes a major factor later.

The flight from Seattle to Chicago was uneventful. It was clear out so we got a view of all the mountains and the sunrise and the Sound, and it was gorgeous.

It also left about 20 minutes late...we had a 35 minute connection time...and we arrived with 15 minutes to connect. We had to run from one gate to the other with no time to grab food. Score 2 for Team Negativity. We hadn't eaten since 5am, it was now 1:45, and we wouldn't actually get a chance to eat a meal until after 6pm. Did I mention Dr. Jekyll turns into Mr. Hyde on an empty stomach? :furious:

As soon as the cabin doors closed and locked, with us seated right over the wing, a child in the back of the plane started to scream. Hysterically. This isn't all that abnormal, so I didn't think much of it at the start. *dramatic pause* That kid DID NOT STOP SCREAMING FOR 3.5 HOURS. I'm not exaggerating. The only time he stopped was to take a deep breath so that he could start again. I'm talking bloodcurdling, full on fit mode wailing. I have no idea how the kid didn't go hoarse. At one point I walked Kassidy back to the bathroom and got a glimpse of the kid, being held by both parents, stiff as a board, head thrown back, in the middle of a full on meltdown. It was a little boy, I'm thinking somewhere close to 2ish.

After a half hour of "the screamer"...

Dr. Jekyll: "Wow, I feel sorry for anyone near that kid."

After one hour...

Jekyll/Hyde: "That kid isn't going to stop is he?"

After 1.5 hours...

Mr. Hyde: "Where is the flight attendant, I need a beer."

After two hours...

Mr. Hyde (and the random grandparents sitting next to us): "I am ready to throw that kid out the emergency exit."

At that point, I kind of agreed with him. I needed everything to go right in order to maintain peace. Southwest Airlines and that kid were ruining my peace. Score 3 for Team Negativity.

We finally landed and once again, I puffed up my chest and grinned at my airport prowess as I guided us to baggage claim to pick up our bags and meet our towncar I reserved. We waited for our bags. And waited. And waited...

Did I mention we were starving? At least "the screamer" didn't show up at baggage claim. I was glad we hadn't done ME this time.

I booked us at the Shades of Green for our first night because Coronado Springs was sold out for Saturday night. It was supposed to work out well because we needed to purchase our park tickets from there anyway, and it's right across from the Polynesian so we could just walk over at meet the monorail to the MK the next morning.

As soon as we got in the towncar:

Mr. Hyde: "Where are we going?"
Me: "Disney property, to our hotel"
Mr. Hyde: "How far is the hotel?"
Me: "It's about 20 minutes to Disney World."
Mr. Hyde: "But where is our hotel?"
Me: "Very close to the Magic Kingdom."
Mr. Hyde: "Is that at Disney World?"

Insert the smilie banging his head against the wall right here.

As previously mentioned it was when we drove under the WDW arch and Kassidy and I cheered that we were here at WDW that it dawned on Mr. Hyde that he had no idea what he was doing. Kass and I started pointing out busses and various points of interest. Mr. Hyde was looking around wide eyed thinking that he would be seeing hotels or rides, or ANYTHING. When he asked me how big this place was and I answered around 150 square miles, he blanched. When Mr. Hyde gets confused, he gets angry. When he gets hungry, he gets angry. So at that point, he was like a volcano about to blow.

Finally, after a tense ride, we arrived at Shades of Green and checked in quickly and easily. I had hoped to arrive in time to hit the ticket office before it closed so that we didn't have to wait in line in the morning, as the line can be ridiculous. No dice, Mr. Hyde wasn't having it. He practically dragged us up to the room, threw our stuff down, and demanded food. He was in jeans still, I asked him if he wanted to change as it was 110384328520 million degrees outside, but he said no, he just wanted to eat. NOW.

Well, ooooooooooooooooookay there Mr. Hyde.

One other side note about Jekyll/Hyde. He's incredibly picky. Like, ridiculously picky. I decided we should go over to the Boardwalk to eat at the ESPN Club. He'd like food, beer and football. That should help reign in some of the negativity, right? Right???

WRONG.

He complained about the cab fare, he complained about the 10 minute ride over there, he complained about the heat, he complained that he had to weave through people...

Upon sight of the ESPN club, he perked up a bit, as I thought, this was the perfect place to make him happy.

That is, until we saw the line out the door spilling on to the Boardwalk and were told it would be about a 45 minute wait.

Score 100 for Team Negativity.

Mr. Hyde: "Is it going to be like this everywhere we go, the whole time?"
Me: "Well..I can't say no. We have reservations at places for the rest of the trip so it won't be a wait like this, but I can't guarantee that we won't have like 15 minute waits at places even with a reservation."
Mr. Hyde: *crickets*
Mr. Hyde: "You realize that this is hell on earth for me, right?"

We had been at Disney World maybe 45 minutes total at that point.

I got the silent treatment except for a lot of heavy sighs and grunts for about the next 30 minutes. I BEGGED him to just go on the bar side, where there was no wait and grab a beer.

Mr Hyde: *snarling* "I don't need beer Casey, I need FOOD".

Ooooooooooooooooooookay.

Me: "So go order yourself an app, we'll wait out here. Please, go."

Mr. Hyde: "No. I'm going to stay out here and make you as miserable as I am."

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Finally, we got in. We sat. We ate. Mostly in a lot of silence. After he got some food in his belly his mood improved marginally, which lowered the tension meter to tolerable.

There was thunder and lightnihg and light rain when we left the Boardwalk, which I should have taken as an omen for the next day. Kass wanted to swim, but the lightning meant that we were kind of stuck in the room. It was 9:30 ish, so it was too late for Wishes, so the Poly beach was out. I was exhausted and kind of mentally beaten down at that point, so we just went back to Shades and immediately went to bed, saying prayers that tomorrow would be a better day and that things would turn around.

Unfortunately, even at WDW not all dreams come true...

*Cue ominous music again*

I think this is the first trip report I've ever read that starts with a Shakespeare quote :). So of course I'm in! Hoping your DH starts to enjoy himself at least a LITTLE more by the end....maybe purgatory on earth instead of hell?

:wave: Casey, I am In! I have to go back and read your first day post but after reading your post #1 I just know this is going to be a great TR. Why?
Because you see our first trip to WDW started off with me booking a trip for just Myself and my two DS's only to have DH who was the one who did not ever want to go back to FL again after visiting the state with friends in this teen years come home from work to tell me he had the time off and was coming with us. Sound familar? :rotfl2:
Going back to finish reading now.

I know it has to get better the next day as long as you feed your DH early. Mine also does not like lines or the heat and is picky beyound belief when it comes to what he will eat. He does like ESPN we have gone there twice. He likes beer, loves the Biergarten we found out on our last trip, I am wondering now if you went there maybe?
To get mine out of the a/c at the resort I have to lure him with the offer of food and sometimes that does not even work like on our last trip he had to take a nap after our long flight of 2 hours :rotfl:
One thing you did right is go at a low crowd time......I took my DH Easter Week :lmao:

My DH puts on his stupid hat at the airport and since the lines frustrate him also we normally get into a slight arguement, but thank heavens we have never been on a flight with a non-stop crying child
Can't wait to read more.

Oh my goodness!!!! I'm in!

I've been to WDW numerous times and our trip last December was pretty much terrible because of certain family members!

I'm soooo sorry your DH was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde!!! I have to ask, when he said "You know this is hell on earth for me" where you at all tempted to say "Umm, you wanted to come so shut up!" I would have ;)

Love it!!! If I hadn't seen the picture of your Dr. Hyde I'd swear we were married to the same man.

:wave: Casey! I'm here too! :yay:

Saw your link on the RC thread and you do not give yourself enough credit - this is going to be a fun ride (for those of us who did not have to live through it! ;) ) :eek:

Casey,
I am loving your TR! No, I'm not taking delight in your misery but I am trying to pick up tips on how to respond when one of your travel companions decides to morph into something less than desirable. :lmao: So far (I hope I am not jinxing myself), our trips have been pretty good with only small bits of Dr. Hyde behavior. It might help that I am the Disney nut in our family and DW and our adult children know better than to spoil it for me! :rotfl2:

I love your writing style. Look forward to the rest of your TR.

Yikes, sounds like a bad day for you. I was thinking not so nice things about your dear hubby, LOL

You are a great writer, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the story

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter