• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dr. Doom's Fearfall

dcookies

Mouseketeer
Hi -

Can someone tell me how you sit in this ride? It sounds like the ride is similar to the "Hellevator" we have here at Six Flags NE, but your'e inside rather tahn hanging in a seat outside? I rode the "Hellevator" once, and found it to be too scary to try again , but I love the Tower of Terror at MGM. If the seats on Dr. Doom's are enclosed, i'm willing to give it a try when we go down in August!

No the seats are not enclosed but we rode this for the first time last week. Mum loves the Tower of Terror and she came off this ride and said "Is that it?" She was expecting far more out of it - you do get a good view though.
Wendy

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to take a look first, then decide if I'm brave enough to ride it. I'm really afraid of heights, and at Six Flags the scariest part was going ever so slowly up to the top. I was probably the only one on the ride who couldn't wait for it to drop!

One big difference is that Dr. Doom "launches" you up rather than being raised slowly.

Originally posted by dcookies
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to take a look first, then decide if I'm brave enough to ride it. I'm really afraid of heights, and at Six Flags the scariest part was going ever so slowly up to the top. I was probably the only one on the ride who couldn't wait for it to drop!

I think it looks a lot scarier then it is, so don't look at it too much!~ TOT is much scarier to ride. Sometimes if I keep looking up at it, I freak myself out & won't go on it. When I do finally go on Dr. Doom, I say the same thing as the previous poster "Is that it?"

I rode "Hellivator" and Dr Doom. I thought Hellivator was better. Dr Doom seemed kind of lame compared to Hellivator. Does anyone know the difference between them in the height aspect?

I guess I'll have to be brave and try it out. Thanks to everyone for the great responses!:bounce:

Dr Doom is AWESOMEEEE
We just returned from our 8 day trip and we had a great time. The longest we had to wait between all the parks was 60 min and that was spiderman. The line moved so fast you could not tell if it was 60 or less. The other rides like the hulk was only a 10min wait. Everything else we actually walked on without waiting and this was without fastpass. IOA is really nice and so is the Us. The only downside was while waiting in to go on Earthquake the ride went down so the cm was talking and telling corny jokes which was kind of him btw. After a 15 minute wait another cm came out and said the ride was down completely so we moved on to Jaws and then Back to the Future. We tried to do Terminator but that ended at 9:20 :( MIB was also down so those are rides we will have to do next year. Besides those two we did everything else and we had a great time. The Staff was very friendly and never rude. :D WE were at US/Ioa last week on the 19th which was our first day there and we also went on the 23rd and the 24th. The fireworks are really nice also. The other days we did WDW. I probably got off track here but I just wanted to tell you to definetly try DR Doom. Doom and the Hulk are definitely a must ride. Have fun:p :p

Dr. Doom's Fearfall is basically a themed S&S space shot ride. If you're familiar with the red sides of the Dominator at Dorney Park or Power Tower at Cedar Point, then you know Fearfall. I don't think Fearfall is as tall as the Dominator or Power Tower, though.

Originally posted by Barry Hom
Dr. Doom's Fearfall is basically a themed S&S space shot ride. If you're familiar with the red sides of the Dominator at Dorney Park or Power Tower at Cedar Point, then you know Fearfall. I don't think Fearfall is as tall as the Dominator or Power Tower, though.

That is not correct. Dominator is a standard height S&S tower installation, as is Fearfall. Power Tower is one of only 3 custom/taller towers in the US (the other two being Knotts Berry Farm - 3 turbo drops - and ValleyFair! - 3 towers, turbo drops and space shots). Power Tower has a maximum height of 240 feet. Fearfall is 180.

And to one of the original posters - Hellevator (there is no 'i') was a single tower, standard height Turbo Drop which opened in 1998. It was the exact same height as Fearfall structurally- but being a Turbo Drop - it lifts slowly and launches down where Space Shots use the compressed air to launch up instead. Hellevator, in it's original sense is no longer there. It's now a part of the Scream! complex in the park - which consists of the original Turbo Drop, and two Combo Ride towers which are capable of being run in Space Shot mode, Turbo Drop mode, or Combo mode which starts as a Space Shot and half way through becomes a Turbo Drop. For the record- all three towers of Scream! (Hellevator included) are three of the weakest S&S towers out there.

Does that answer all the questions? If there's anything else S&S related, direct it to me... i'll eventually answer... though for some reason, if I log on with my cable modem (Adelphia) it says my connection is blocked or something like that... so I don't know what the deal is.

-chris

Gosh, Barry... didn't you know that! Welcome back travelin' man!!

Good info Dark-
Thanks!

Jim

Doom is a S&S Space Shot. It's the standard two pulley product, expect for the height. Doom is 199 feet to the top of the spires (tower height plus spire height). Original Space Shots only had a pulley on the top of the tower. Doom has top and bottom pulleys on a requirement from Universal, which S&S now incorporates on their products.

Hellevator, in it's original sense is no longer there. It's now a part of the Scream! complex in the park - which consists of the original Turbo Drop, and two Combo Ride towers which are capable of being run in Space Shot mode, Turbo Drop mode, or Combo mode which starts as a Space Shot and half way through becomes a Turbo Drop. For the record- all three towers of Scream! (Hellevator included) are three of the weakest S&S towers out there.

Thank goodness!!! :rolleyes: I've been on Scream! at 6 Flags NE and I sure didn't remember going up the tower slowly! :confused: I thought I was going crazy reading that's how it is! :rolleyes: Thanks for clarifying it! :)
I'm guessing they changed it when 6 Flags took over Riverside Park...I never went there much until it was 6 flags, and they put in Superman...so I HAD to go! :bounce:
I Love IOA :p but...
I sure miss Superman!!! :(

Thanks for all the info!
Karen :smooth:

Originally posted by Earl
Doom is a S&S Space Shot. It's the standard two pulley product, expect for the height. Doom is 199 feet to the top of the spires (tower height plus spire height). Original Space Shots only had a pulley on the top of the tower. Doom has top and bottom pulleys on a requirement from Universal, which S&S now incorporates on their products.

Actually Earl the structural height *is* standard S&S tower height. Things to remember - Fearfall starts on the second floor- that's where the bulk of the extra height is added. Basically - the tower's footers are higher, and yes, plus cap, but the cap isn't THAT much larger than a standard S&S tower cap.

You may know Universal, Earl... But I know S&S....

I'm not sure why this is going where it's going. What I will say is that the folks that know Doom are either in Orlando or Logan. I am quite comfortable with my technical knowledge of Universal. There's a fairly simple reason for that for which Barry and a few others know.

Make the proclamation if you must, I don't care. Doom is a S&S Spaceshot and that all this thread was ever about. It has some features that are unique to Universal and that's about all there is to it.

The recent rash of one-upmanship in replies is getting crazy. We just finished a whole string on another subject. This site is supposed to be about questions and answers about people who have an interest in Universal Orlando.

Wow, can't believe someone mentioned Dorney Park in a post here. Thats in my backyard Barry. Besides all the technical mumbo jumbo, it is similar to Dr. doom (the launching side that is)

Wow, can't believe someone mentioned Dorney Park in a post here. Thats in my backyard Barry. Besides all the technical mumbo jumbo, it is similar to Dr. doom (the launching side that is)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter