• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Downtown Memphis

Claw

Earning My Ears
Planning a quick trip for a Grizzlies game with Ds 12.Does anyone have experience with the area. must dos or avoid in weekend trip? I've heard it can be dangerous. Using common sense travel smarts, should we be worried? My Dh isn't going so I am wondering if I should rethink the trip.

Planning a quick trip for a Grizzlies game with Ds 12.Does anyone have experience with the area. must dos or avoid in weekend trip? I've heard it can be dangerous. Using common sense travel smarts, should we be worried? My Dh isn't going so I am wondering if I should rethink the trip.

Not sure but my brother's family is currently on a plane from Japan flying to Memphis moving there for his new job. I am sure it has it's good and bad areas.

Any restaurant or must see things in the area. I think they are supposed to have a nice zoo. Of course I know Graceland and Sun studios tours are there but haven't decided what we should do there.

Memphis has great BBQ. I've eaten at the Rendezvous. It's quite good. Also there is a place called Mud Island that you might want to check out.
Memphis is like any large city. It has it's safe and not so safe places. Stick to the touristy areas and you should be fine.

I wish I had glowing things to say about Memphis, but unfortunately, I don't. I live about an hour away and we travel to Memphis several times a month for shopping, flying, etc...

Like all cities, it has its bad parts and its good parts, although admittedly, the bad parts of Memphis are growing while the good parts seem to be shrinking. Germantown and Collierville are still decent, but many people have migrated out to Olive Branch, MS or farther east on I40.

You'll probably be OK staying downtown near the Forum, and Beale Street is fine, but I would highly avoid ANYWHERE near the airport or the Mid-South Coliseum, and anywhere North. Overton Park and the Zoo area is hit or miss for crime as well. You'll also probably be OK if you stay further out east, around the Wolfchase Mall area.

1) Downtown is safe due to its visitor status.
2) As for attractions
. . . the "Beale Street" area used to be good, but is now just a tourist trap to do for a SHORT time
. . . The "Pink Palace Museum" is a must-see
. . . for great pizza, do "Rendezvous"
. . . the "Peabody Hotel" has the famous ducks marching in morning and afternoon
. . . the Memphis Zoo is decent, but not overwhelming
. . . the "Graceland" property is interesting (kind of like Mecca for Elvis fans)

NOTE: I used to live in Germantown and would entertain business folks downtown.

Agreed about Beale Street - it's more of a tourist trap now days.

I'm actually a big fan of the Memphis zoo; it's comparable to zoos in larger cities.

Speaking of tourist traps, Rendezvous is a TOTAL tourist trap! For good, authentic Memphis style BBQ, I highly recommend Central BBQ. Avoid the one on Central Ave, as it's near Orange Mound (Google it). Stick to the one on Summer Ave.

As for Graceland, keep in mind that it's located in a horrible part of the city (near the airport). The property itself is fine, but it's surrounded by neighborhoods that you really want to avoid... as much as "Elvis Presley Blvd" sounds like a road, it's not. Just trust me :)

We go through the industrial area when we drive to Florida from kansas, mapquest takes us that way, it downright scary

Took a trip with my DD about 5 years ago, when she was 11, just her and I, drove from Wisconsin. We had so much fun in Memphis, even though it was one of the hottest few days ever!

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Downtown, loved it there, got a free upgrade to a river view room! We felt safe the whole time in Memphis and everyone was very friendly.

We rode the trolley from near our hotel to Beale street. But, we mainly went to see the pandas at the zoo. We also went to Graceland, it was ok. I highly recommend the Civil Rights Museum, that was very informative and moving.

Hope this helps. Have a fun trip! :)

Thanks for the advice. We are staying at the Hampton near the forum and Peabody downtown. I think we will go to the zoo on our way in or out of town. We want to try local bbq. I guess at this point I will search gps routes and whether they are going to steer me thru not so desirable areas.

We went to Graceland last year on our way back from Disney. My boys thought it was neat and enjoyed it but it was way overpriced IMHO. We've done it and I can't imagine I would go back at those prices. We ate on property while waiting on our tour time and the food was horribly overpriced and not that delightful.
The area surronding Graceland is pretty rough but we felt safe enough while there.

Lived in Memphis for a couple of years, actually, in downtown, on Mud Island. I think Memphis looks pretty scary, but it's not that dangerous.

I would highly recommend Mud Island if you would like to hang out in a nice residential area - it's really beautiful down there. Also, that's probably still the only place to go to a grocery store downtown, and the store is small and kind of expensive. We used to drive to Arkansas to shop for food. Downtown and less savory areas around it are mostly known for property crime - car break ins in particular. If you park in a garage, you are pretty much fine.

All other nice areas are way out in Germantown, Cordova, and Collierville. The Graceland is a bit kitschy, but nothing spectacular, in my opinion. It is also in a sketchy part of town.

Non-tourist trap restaurants.
The Butcher Shop - unfortunately, relocated from downtown way out in the boonies - http://thebutchershop.com/
Boscos Squared in Midtown.

It's a good town to visit, but a bit tough to live in, IMHO.

Thanks for the advice. We are staying at the Hampton near the forum and Peabody downtown. I think we will go to the zoo on our way in or out of town. We want to try local bbq. I guess at this point I will search gps routes and whether they are going to steer me thru not so desirable areas.

Corky's is pretty popular. They used to have a location downtown, but not anymore. Interstate barbecue has acclaim (I did not care much for their food, though) - I would go to Southeaven location since it was in a "normal" area (the other one seems sketchy to me). http://www.interstatebarbecue.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter