• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

downtown disney?

marymaya

Mouseketeer
Is there anything affordable and entertaining for a 3 and 5 year old in downtown disney? We planned on using our last day as a flex day, to catch up on unfished touring at a park. This won't be a full day so now I feel like it's a waste. And we're going to be tired and hot, starting our 15 hour drive home. Maybe we should spend a few hours in downtown disney, then head half way home after a late lunch. I won't take my kids to BBB in downtown, especially after spending a fortune one this wonderful vacation. I'm looking for super affordable, fun and relaxing before a looooong drive home.

Disney Quest? We got a voucher or something when we booked. Is it just one voucher? There are four of us! Mini golf? Do any restaurants take the meal plan? Thanks for the ideas!!

Is there anything affordable and entertaining for a 3 and 5 year old in downtown disney? We planned on using our last day as a flex day, to catch up on unfished touring at a park. This won't be a full day so now I feel like it's a waste. And we're going to be tired and hot, starting our 15 hour drive home. Maybe we should spend a few hours in downtown disney, then head half way home after a late lunch. I won't take my kids to BBB in downtown, especially after spending a fortune one this wonderful vacation. I'm looking for super affordable, fun and relaxing before a looooong drive home.

Disney Quest? We got a voucher or something when we booked. Is it just one voucher? There are four of us! Mini golf? Do any restaurants take the meal plan? Thanks for the ideas!!

The packages include two admissions to Disney Quest.

I'm personally not a fan of DisneyQuest. But, that doesn't mean its bad, just not my cup of tea. And if you have the tickets anyway, why not use them?

I find DTD to be a little fun...we wander into the World of Disney store, have a snack at Ghiradelli, stop by the Lego store, and see if there any activities going on and check them out - often you'll find some interactive mini shows or at least some interactive CMs.

On one of our first trips several years ago, we tried to just do Downtown Disney on our last day before heading to the airport (we had a later flight). The kids were bored after a short time and really wanted to head to MK one last time, so we did! Depending on how many days you already have on your tickets, it's really just a small amount to add one more day, so to me it's totally worth it! Going from a 7 day to an 8 day ticket only adds around $10 more. It was even less back then, but I would still do it! Just another option!

We love DTD! My son is an awesome window shopper (he's almost 5) so we go through all the stores. Spend a lot of time at the Lego store where there's an outdoor area to build and race lego cars. There are a couple of small water area's for the kids to play in.

I have been to disney quest before, but I wouldn't take my 5 year old. I don't feel like there'd be enough for him to do there (but I was there many years ago so things may have changed).

We also save a lot of our buying for our last day at DTD, too. Kids are less likely to get bored if they're getting presents, I find, lol.

On one of our first trips several years ago, we tried to just do Downtown Disney on our last day before heading to the airport (we had a later flight). The kids were bored after a short time and really wanted to head to MK one last time, so we did! Depending on how many days you already have on your tickets, it's really just a small amount to add one more day, so to me it's totally worth it! Going from a 7 day to an 8 day ticket only adds around $10 more. It was even less back then, but I would still do it! Just another option!

That's good to know. I rememeber going as a teenager and having the last day of tickets, and not using them. My mom still has them over 20 years later. We set aside 2 days at MK and Epcot, and 1 day for HS and AK. my travel agent is going to review my itinerary and let me know if I am managing my time correctly, but my kids can still be a a little unpredictable at times. Thanks for the info.:)

In case you do decide to do DTD, yes, there are some restaurants that take the meal plan. TRex and Wolfgang Pucks are two that I know of for sure. Have fun!

Jumping in with a question about this - we have 6 day tickets. If I decide I want to go to 7 day, can I do that on day 7? Or would that be too late?
Thanks!

That's good to know. I rememeber going as a teenager and having the last day of tickets, and not using them. My mom still has them over 20 years later. We set aside 2 days at MK and Epcot, and 1 day for HS and AK. my travel agent is going to review my itinerary and let me know if I am managing my time correctly, but my kids can still be a a little unpredictable at times. Thanks for the info.:)

I have the same plan as you! We have 6 day tickets, and we're planningo n 2 MK, 2 epcot, 1 AK, 1 HS. Our two travel days I'm not planning to go to parks - just swim at the resort and maybe do downtown disney or the movie night at Wilderness Camp. Can't wait! :banana:

Jumping in with a question about this - we have 6 day tickets. If I decide I want to go to 7 day, can I do that on day 7? Or would that be too late?
Thanks!

You can do it before you leave on your last day--Day 6 in your case--but not after. It also must be within 14 days of first use.

We haven't done Disney Quest, so I can't help with that. We did mini golf at WinterSummerland last year and the kids LOVED it! The winter course was pretty easy, although our kids were 10 and 8 at the time. I would think younger kids would still enjoy it. It is a very interactive course.

As far as DTD, our kids like the Lego store and World of Disney, but after that they are bored. There are some things you could pay extra for, like a little (and I mean little) train ride, but if we were going to do something like that we'd pay the extra to add a day to the parks. There really isn't any entertainment in the morning at DTD.

If I were you, I'd add the extra park day and plan in some down time in the middle of your trip. Maybe check out DTD and have a meal there that day. Yes, many of the DTD restaurants take the dining plan.

Or, what we like to do on our last day is a nice breakfast, character meal or not. We love Boma and Cape May Cafe for breakfast buffets. We take our time packing up, enjoy a nice meal, then head out. You could add it a stop at DTD for an hour.

Thanks!

Are you staying at a WDW Resort?

It makes a difference.

If you are a guest at a WDW Resort and your tickets are "on" your resort
key-card, they will have your name printed on them (by Disney.)

If that's the case, you can upgrade your tickets at any time during the 14 days-from-first-use
window, regardless of whether you have already "used up" all of the ticket assets, or not.

(All you need is a photo ID.)

Are you staying at a WDW Resort?

It makes a difference.

If you are a guest at a WDW Resort and your tickets are "on" your resort
key-card, they will have your name printed on them (by Disney.)

If that's the case, you can upgrade your tickets at any time during the 14 days-from-first-use
window, regardless of whether you have already "used up" all of the ticket assets, or not.

(All you need is a photo ID.)

Yes, we will be staying at Art of Animation. This is great info, thank you!!

You might consider just asking for late checkout and hanging around at the resort for the last morning. I think it's the Unofficial Guide that says a large percentage of kids remember swimming at the hotel pool more than visiting the parks!

Unless it has changed recently, Disney Quest doesn't even open until about 11 or 11:30AM. That won't give you much time if you plan on eating lunch before leaving to head home. You will find almost nothing for little kids at DQ.

Otherwise, DTD is basically just a shopping center.

You could stop by the Winterland Summerland miniature golf course by Blizzard Beach. That's always fun for the family, even littler kids.

There is no way I would do Disney Quest with little ones - not much there for them and it doesn't open til late morning anyway as PP said.

If you go DTD I would finish any shopping,let the kids play at the Lego store and if I was headed out after lunch for a long drive I would let them play in the Splash Pad over by Earl of Sandwich for a bit (to let them theink they got to do something fun and wear them out). I would have one of us go get lunch at Earl of Sandwich and just eat it outside or near the splash pad.

It's a doable morning.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter