• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Downtown Disney - what's there to do?

scubamouse

Mouseketeer<br><font color=blue>My shoes match. I
aside from shopping? :rotfl2:

is it worth spending some time there after naps instead of hitting the parks one afternoon? what are the must sees?

and where's the best place to find a toy monorail set - that's about the last thing i need to get for my DS!

My kids love playing at the Lego Play area in DTD. We spend quite a bit of time there, and then maybe hit McDonalds for lunch. There is a carousel and a train ride there for the kids also.

I saw a toy monorail at The Contemporary, and it was really cool. I haven't seen them anywhere else, but I haven't been looking, KWIM? I'm sure they sell them at other shops.

DTD has a toy store (can't remember the name, I just woke up. LOL) that sells the monorail. It's a really neat toy store with all kinds of toys hanging from the ceilings. Even the monorail is set up to travel around the ceilings.

I think the water fountain thingie that the kids can run through re-opened, that's another thing to do there. It's a lot of fun just to walk through the stores and see the different things for sale. It's a must stop place on every one of my trips. :)

Our little ones preferred that water play area over all the other options, including the water parks and Stormalong Bay! :LOL:

there's also Disney Quest if your kids are old enough for video games. I don't know the admission price, we had it included in our tickets. World of Disney store has alot of stuff to look at and there's an under $10 store for kids next to the pet store. If you're staying at POR or POFQ you can take the boat to DTD. You can also take a boat from one side of DTD to the other. If you're going during a time when the parks close early you might want to do this at night instead of using time you could be in a park. Oh, there's also Ghiradelli's ice-cream! Sign up at their site less then a month before you go and they'll send you an email for buy-1-get-1-free sundae's.

We love DTD and never miss it. There is plenty of things the kids can enjoy. Stop by World of Disney. It is a truly amazing toy store. You'll spend tons of time just looking. We also like Ghiradelli's ice cream. There are plenty of eating places also that offer a good experience like House of Blues and so on! SPend a little time there. Hopefully, you will like it as well as we do!

:wave2: Is great way to spend afternoon,you have DQ and a host of other things to do.Several great play area's for the young and young at heart. :goodvibes :wizard:

stm61 said:
Oh, there's also Ghiradelli's ice-cream! Sign up at their site less then a month before you go and they'll send you an email for buy-1-get-1-free sundae's.

No way! I never knew that!! I love going to DTD to visit Ghiradelli's!! I'll have to do that in a few weeks before my January trip, thanks for the advice!!

We just love DTD. DS keeps asking if he can go play at the Lego store. We just enjoy the atmosphere and spend way too much money. Not sure when the OP is going, but Santa is there over the holidays. Had DS's picture taken there a couple of years ago and they turned out well.

The World of Disney store is my absolute fav! I can spend hours in there just looking around...I need someone to hold on to my credit cards though because its the perfect souvenier store to max them out! :goodvibes

MareSINY said:
No way! I never knew that!! I love going to DTD to visit Ghiradelli's!! I'll have to do that in a few weeks before my January trip, thanks for the advice!!

Just an FYI: Make sure that you click on 'Ghirardelli G-mail' at the bottom of the page. Fill out the form but for your birthday, put in a date right around now. And then ... VERY important ... click off YES where it asks if you live within 50 miles.
In a couple of days you should receive an email coupon for a buy one get one free sundae - YUM!!! They will send you 2 coupons for BOGO Free - one for joining and one for your birthday. I received mine the next day.

Welcome to Ghirardelli!

My kids spent forever in the toy store playing at the Mr. Potato Head display. They also have a computer you can design your own MPH and print it out. Rainforest Cafe is a neat place to look at even if you don't eat there. They also really enjoyed Goofy's Candy Co. where you can design and order your own special treat. You can watch them make it and then enjoy it. We found it to be a nice change of pace from the theme parks and ended up going there 2 different evenings.

About how long would it take a family with two kids to go through the stores at the Marketplace section of DTD?

DTD is an attraction! To us anyways! We love the leisurely atmosphere, the shops restaurants and the lake surrounding it.

Sometimes there's entertainment and music. Everyone is happy and there is no car traffic! I love sitting at a table near the water and have a soda while watching people come and go. It really is worth going to. We go at least 2 times during our trips.

I would allow at least a couple of hours. There is a lot to look at. DH and our 2 boys spent forever at the Lego place building race cars. We rented a stroller the 2nd night which made it a little easier (and faster) to maneuver with our 2yo.

I don't know the age of the OP's kids - but my DS12 LOVED DTD!! We went three different times on our 7 day trip - and if we had time, would have spent more time. It's the place my son is looking forward to returning to the most! It's totally different during the day than at night - so much fun, atmosphere, and being on the water adds a whole other dimension at night!

The shopping was great...and when we went the first time, we entered through the market place, and when I found the pooh store (not the real name of course!) I thought I had entered heaven! It was sooooo wonderful. THe Lego store, and all the shops are wonderful. Disney Quest is fun for the whole family, and you can spend hours and hours in there as well!

If time were an issue - I think my son would rather spend time at DTD than a park!

MareSINY said:
DTD has a toy store (can't remember the name, I just woke up. LOL) that sells the monorail. It's a really neat toy store with all kinds of toys hanging from the ceilings. Even the monorail is set up to travel around the ceilings.

I think the water fountain thingie that the kids can run through re-opened, that's another thing to do there. It's a lot of fun just to walk through the stores and see the different things for sale. It's a must stop place on every one of my trips. :)

Does this toy store sell toys that aren't Disney related? I'm sure my boys will have an excellent time, but they're not really into Disney stuff.

GammaPro said:
Does this toy store sell toys that aren't Disney related? I'm sure my boys will have an excellent time, but they're not really into Disney stuff.

We love DTD! The Disney toy stores sell exclusively Disney stuff, I'm pretty sure, but there are other options. The gift shop at Rainforest Cafe has mostly if not all non-Disney stuff. Lots of cool rainforesty-kind of things, plus stuffed animals, and other neat things.

Of course, the Lego store sells lego stuff, not Disney. And if you go to the other end of DTD -- West Side (I think that's what it's called) -- there is a HUUUUGE Virgin Records store.

Have fun!

I bought the monorail last night at World Of Disney!

There is a cool store on the west side that has Star Memorbila, I like going in there and browsing around just looking at the different things. DS likes the train and carorsel and of course him and Daddy take boat rides around the lake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter