Downtown Disney in Afternoon or Evening?

AnneK

Mouseketeer
I haven't been to Downtown Disney since 2006, and my Fiance and I are heading to Disney World for 6 days for our Honeymoon at the beginning of May. :) I have a "recovery" day planned for the middle of our week, and figured this would be a good time to shop around and have a meal at Downtown Disney. Would you guys recommend going in the afternoon or the evening? Is there much of a difference?

Thanks!

I like your idea of a planned recovery day in the middle of your week. The evenings in DTD are a bit more lively, crowded and possibly cooler than going during the day. I also like the entertainment/performers in the evening more so in the evening than during the day.

both times there will be crowds that did not exist in 2006.

the parking situation can get to you - although think they are expanding it. if you are staying at OKW, SS or PO - take the boat, bus.

My husband and I did the same thing two years ago for our honeymoon (also in early May). We went to Downtown Disney on a whim a couple of evenings, and it was super crowded (like only being able to shuffle through some areas in the Marketplace because of the number of people). We couldn't get into any sit-down restaurants, but the quick-service places and the stores themselves weren't bad at all. We had fun, just wish I had been able to set my expectations better on dealing with the size of the crowd.

We were there May 2014. Downtown Disney is under construction so some places do seem crowded because of the bottlenecks created by the construction walls. The road/traffic pattern has changed. Still a nice walk in the early afternoon or early evening but would stay away on the weekend if possible or take the Disney bus and let them do the driving.

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like early afternoon might be the way to go, then just go back to the hotel and chill out. :)

I haven't been to Downtown Disney since 2006, and my Fiance and I are heading to Disney World for 6 days for our Honeymoon at the beginning of May. :) I have a "recovery" day planned for the middle of our week, and figured this would be a good time to shop around and have a meal at Downtown Disney. Would you guys recommend going in the afternoon or the evening? Is there much of a difference?

Thanks!

Hello Anne

I know that in a way this isnt answering your question, but I too am going after many years and I will be staying at my old haunt - POFQ. I always love the ferry ride to DTD. But my answer is BOTH. There is nothing like an afternoon stroll at DTD and then at night - Ugh!... SO ALIVE. I don't plan to miss my day or my night visit to DTD... and even an early morning VISIT for a light breakfast! Just love DTD!

So my answer is BOTH! (*_*)

Thanks for the tips! We're counting down the days to our honeymoon! 5 weeks!

Definitely afternoon!! Between construction, crowds, and parking? You're better off LEAVING DTD in the evening.

Both are great and nightime is excellent when I do my drinking through DD annual tour... But honestly early afternoon for some shopping and a nice lunch at Raglan Road would be my advice to ya

I plan on going on a Sunday in May (17). Typically I'd stay away from there on a weekend due to locals crowding the place up too. However, I'd think that the construction and parking nightmare would keep them away since they have to drive. I'll be taking a Disney bus so won't have to worry about that. I can definitely change up my days if someone can tell me that it is crowded on Sunday?? I'm going in the day time, not night. Just doing some shopping, eat at Earl of Sandwich and check out the new construction.

Thanks!

It would depend on what you mean by recovery day. Are you looking to recover from drinking and such or are you looking to recover as in get some rest?

I love Downtown in the evening, but I like the afternoon a great deal too.

If you are looking to recover from drinking in EPCOT, dinners, other parks, etc, I would suggest an afternoon, but if you are looking for rest, I would suggest sleeping in late and going very late afternoon/early evening/evening.

I plan on going on a Sunday in May (17). Typically I'd stay away from there on a weekend due to locals crowding the place up too. However, I'd think that the construction and parking nightmare would keep them away since they have to drive. I'll be taking a Disney bus so won't have to worry about that. I can definitely change up my days if someone can tell me that it is crowded on Sunday?? I'm going in the day time, not night. Just doing some shopping, eat at Earl of Sandwich and check out the new construction.

YES! THAT!!!! LOL

Lots of variables to consider, where are you staying? If you can take a boat, I would, every time I've taken a bus, no matter where I was staying the wait for the bus at DTD was about 30 min to a hour and the trip back to the resort made the whole thing no less than a hour trip. I prefer early mornings there, it's not as crowded and a little more relaxing. More often than not, if I'm going to a relaxing day, I do some resort hopping and skip DTD, so maybe hop over to OKW or SS or one of the other resorts that has boat service and take a boat to DTD and pray for a decent bus wait back to your resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter