Downtown Disney After Cruise

ntoeman

Earning My Ears
Come April 5, 2015 (Easter Sunday), my then wife and I will be returning to land coming off of a 7-night Caribbean cruise on the Magic for our Honeymoon! We have noticed flights are significantly cheaper on Monday morning and would like to spend a day/night on or near property. Going to the parks isn't a really big deal this time, but if we don't go to the parks, we would still want to wander property or DTD. Any advice on this plan?

I have mostly been looking for off-site hotels and resorts (DTD area) that have shuttles to the parks and/or airport to try to reduce costs there, but with that said, I realize if we just stay at a value resort, we will have all of that transportation included right?

Any and all comments and suggestions will be appreciated!!

We are going to stay at Disney's Art of Animation post-cruise which is cheaper than the more well known resorts but still offers transportation to Downtown Disney, Disney Parks, etc. :)

If you are not renting a car and using Disney Cruise Line transfers, staying at a Disney hotel post-cruise is the best option. You don't need to book the Disney resort hotel through DCL either; just choose a Disney Resort for your return trip when selecting your arrival/departure times within the on-line checkin process.

If you are renting a car, you might want to try the Hilton Downtown Disney. I love this hotel when I'm just doing things at Downtown Disney. You can walk or take their bus. I looked for you, and the AAA Rate for 4/12/2015 is only $94.00 a night (plus applicable taxes). Unfortunately, they charge a "resort fee" and this brings the price to $130.50 (tax included... the "best available" non-AAA rate is $136.13 (tax included).) You may have other discounts through your employer. I'm not plugging the Hilton, but they have 24 hour services and are a full-service hotel.

(I priced the Art of Animation for the same period and the prices started at $158 plus tax.)

As for Transportation, you can take the "Downtown Disney Resort" buses (less frequent), or walk to Downtown Disney and take Disney Transportation. The Hilton Downtown Disney Resort has a special relationship with Disney. They are the only non-Disney hotel, outside Swan and Dolphin and probably the new Four Seasons, that get Extra Magic Hour benefits.

Otherwise, if you want to be immersed in Disney for another day, the Art of Animation would be a great choice.

We have found we don't like parks immediately following cruises. The shift from the relaxation of a cruise to the hustle and bustle of any of the parks is too dramatic.

So putting myself in your shoes and dreaming. . .

I would book the 1 pm Gospel Brunch at House of Blues. Perhaps shop around DTD. Check into the nicest Disney resort that fit the budget. Spend some time at the pool. Then head to Cali Grill for dinner and fireworks. Or Kona Cafe and fireworks on the beach. There's nothing like fireworks to end a Disney vacation!

Please note that free transfers for Disney Resort guests is only to and from the airport from Disney Property. There are no free transfers to or from Port Canaveral. These were at a cost of 35 dollars per person each way when I used them 2011. Of course, the convenience of these transfers made it very much worth the money for me.

Have a great Honeymoon! Congratulations!

I think we are leaning toward staying at a value resort. It's $35 for the ride from DCL to the WDW resorts too right? We are booked for the transfer to MCO as of right now so I would just have that changed. Regardless of whether or not we go to the parks on Easter Sunday (though we do have extra tickets from my fiancée's parents), staying on site will make it easier to resort hop. I'm not a fan of getting a rental car. And at the end of the day it will all still be cheaper than us flying home Sunday!

I'll be staying at Port Orleans Riverside Resort after my cruise. There is a free boat to Downtown Disney which is supposed to be pleasant. Port Orleans French Quarter and Saratoga Springs Resort also have this option.

I think we are leaning toward staying at a value resort. It's $35 for the ride from DCL to the WDW resorts too right? We are booked for the transfer to MCO as of right now so I would just have that changed. Regardless of whether or not we go to the parks on Easter Sunday (though we do have extra tickets from my fiancée's parents), staying on site will make it easier to resort hop. I'm not a fan of getting a rental car. And at the end of the day it will all still be cheaper than us flying home Sunday!
This option is not that bad at all. There was something I didn't think about and that was transportation back to the airport from the Walt Disney World Resort Area. You can pay the additional $35 per person cost for Disney Cruise Line transfers from the Port to a Disney Value Resort and then take Disney's Magical Express back to the airport on your departure. That might just be the least expensive way to enjoy the extra time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter