Downsizing resort or plans re: economic fears?

franw

DIS Veteran
We were giving some thought to downsizing from the BWI to the CBR with all the economic news being so frightening. Part of me says we need to keep the economy going and another side of me says to save, save, save. I can't imagine cancelling the trip but was surprised when I checked and there was availability at the CBR for our entire length of stay. I was wondering if lots of folks were cancelling their reservations.

Granted my trip isn't until 2010, and who knows what the economy will bring by then, however, as of now... we are planning a poly trip in summer season, cash paid, no credit cards involved with the exception of holding reservations. I would not be surprised if people are cancelling, with the shear amount of job losses lately, many people are being affected and some of them probally had plans of Disney. If my job was up for even possibly being on the chopping block, I would also cancel, because as great as a week at Disney is, my family can't eat it once it is over.

We haven't actually booked our trip yet, but were planning to stay at the Poly, like we did on our last trip. However, we have now decided that we should stay at the WL (which I have always wanted to try) instead - in order to save some money. We could pay for all of our plane tickets and still have money left over with the savings.

I understand completely as my sister, who is going with us, just found out today that the job she has had for 22 years will go away in January. She hasn't calmed down enough to even bring up the subject with her. I would rather stay in a less expensive place if she wants to go as the resorts, as great as they might be, don't make the trip.

We downgraded about 2 months ago, before it got as bad as it is now. We went from WL to PO-R at a savings of about $800. As much as I consider myself a "deluxe resort person" (I know, it's snobby), I also consider myself a bit on the cheap side... I like to get the best bang for my buck. After I talked it over with my H, we decided it would be best to downgrade our resort and not have to worry about food and purchases. Plus, we've decided to upgrade to APs so we can go back to DW 2x next year. I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing that if we'd stayed at WL.

In January, we are staying at AKL, but only for 3 days (will be at the beach the rest of the week), and just because I got a good AAA rate of $208.50 for pool view.

For FW next year, the tenative plan is to stay at BC/YC, but if things continue to get worse financially, we may be downgrading to CSR. We'll see how things are next summer.

I understand what you're saying as I've just done the same thing.

Granted I'm still staying at a deluxe (YC) but instead of staying CL (which was riduculously expensive), I'm now staying in a standard room but with the deluxe dining plan, it's worked out a lot cheaper and I'm getting more for my money. I don't have to worry about finding extra money for food, tickets, etc., as it's all included in my package.

If it comes down to it I will 'downgrade' even more, perhaps staying at WL or AKL, or even down to a moderate. I'm also prepared to cancel my trip.

We just returned from 8 wonderful days at the World. We told ourselves that we wanted to make this a vacation to remember for us and we were not going to worry about money. We are by no means wealthy. This was our first true vacation in 7 years.

We have not (and will not) added up the entire trip for a "total cost." We booked each piece knowing what we could (or were willing to) afford and just went with it. We made choices and were selective about certain things to do or not do (i.e. private tours, etc...), but held true to our promise to each other to have a trip we will enjoy and not over-worry about the money once we agreed to the trip.

Is one resort over another going to make or break your economic situation? If so... maybe you should not take the trip. (And by "you" I do not mean anyone in specific.) Is one ADR over another going to cause economic crisis for your family? If so, perhaps it's not the right time for a vacation. We waited for years to take this trip, watching others go (including those that go every year), waiting until we knew we could do it without worrying about every cent. Little did we know what the economy would do literally while we were gone.

We were there while the stock market was going insane and everything was changing daily. We agreed not to read about anything money-related as we couldn't change it, we had made vacation decisions, and we vowed to just enjoy. And we did.... and we are okay, with amazing memories. Now it's back to work.

I guess our thoughts are - if you are going to do anything in life, enjoy it. If you can't (or shouldn't afford it), know well enough not to do it - it's just not worth it.

Note to the PP: You mentioned that you are at the YC and might "downgrade to AKL." We did a split stay between AKL and YC. YC was gorgeous, classy, and the lagoon view was absolutely breath-taking. The AKL was simply special. How often can you look out your bedroom window and see a zebra? We left AKL mid-stay wanting to stay longer. And all DH kept saying while at YC was, "And to think that AKL is less expensive." I would STRONGLY consider staying at AKL if you are interested (regardless of money or not). It is a very special place with an amazing feel, excellent staff, and wonderful offerings.

- Dreams

We have reservations at the Poly next month. I'm trying to convince my husband that we should change to Pop or Port Orleans and save $1,500 to $2,000.

We were at Disney in July. We did a split stay between BC club level and Poly club level. We had the best room locations and o.k. service at BC and outstanding at the Poly. For our upcoming trip in Nov I was going to do Poly club level but than I decided to stay at POR instead. Although the economy hasn't impacted me yet I fingure I should count my blessing and save some $$ just in case. I'm also going to make a larger than usual donation to our local food panty this year--there are so many people who can't even afford to eat. Those of us who CAN still go to Disney, be it deluxe or value are truely lucky.

We are at WL (hopefully) over Christmas. I actually called but the package I have now wasnt available for those dates at POR or POFQ they were less than $100 less than WL. So I'm keeping what I have for now, and looking for more deals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter