• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Downside of FP+

The creed of super-users everywhere!

2f42bfb9-85be-4272-bf7d-b7063d78ca7b_zpsde24d3a9.jpg

Fair point. I am going in November and have been revamping my plans in anticipation of having to make FP+ selections. On previous trips, we'd spend at least two days at DHS, hitting it at RD and breaking in the afternoon then returning in the evening, just to make sure we rode TSM twice (stand by at RD then with FP). If I am able to get FP+ times for TSM in the evening, we won't feel the need to be at DHS at rope drop. Come to think of it, we may even sleep in more often if we're able to get FP+ attractions in the evening. So it will impact how we tour the parks.

Ok, here is another concern I personally have with FP+. I agree that some people are oblivious to the current (super cool) FP system in place, but I see the argument that since that is currently the case, that there will plenty of FP+ (it's seriously hard to put a + behind that) during the day.

Let's say I spent anywhere from 1 billion to 2 billion or more on this system that includes FP+. Would you, as a Corporation, make sure this "perk" is shoved down the throat of every person who swings by the website, reads a blog, the previously clueless guest at check in and maybe even a squirrel that happens to run through the lobby? This will be everywhere. Everyone will made fully aware of it as a "perk" of being allowed to be a part of their Magical experience. Do the math, people.

Which brings me to this....

fd4e2dcd-dcaf-43f7-b898-9bd59191ff77_zps00b2ca16.jpg

Mad Hattered said:
Ok, here is another concern I personally have with FP+. I agree that some people are oblivious to the current (super cool) FP system in place, but I see the argument that since that is currently the case, that there will plenty of FP+ (it's seriously hard to put a + behind that) during the day.

Let's say I spent anywhere from 1 billion to 2 billion or more on this system that includes FP+. Would you, as a Corporation, make sure this "perk" is shoved down the throat of every person who swings by the website, reads a blog, the previously clueless guest at check in and maybe even a squirrel that happens to run through the lobby? This will be everywhere. Everyone will made fully aware of it as a "perk" of being allowed to be a part of their Magical experience. Do the math, people.

Bingo! That's precisely how i expect it to roll out..... On every planning dvd, every TA will be trained to help, every piece of Mickey Mail will be saturated with this info. The expected increase in the # of users leads to the necessity of limiting the total # of FP+ opportunities per person. JMHO.

DD & were discussing this this morning on the way to school.

Then we discussed all the other things OUTSIDE of FL & the conversation went on & on with endless possibilities.

Indeed -- everyone should see Yellowstone before the supervolcano brings it to your doorstep.

What are the real numbers? Can anyone tell me the following:

1. What percentage of guests book a package that includes their park tickets 60+ days from their vacation?
2. What percentage of guests buy tickets 60+ days in advance?

In order to do any true calculations, one would have to be privy to actual numbers that are in play.

I keep hearing about the numbers of people that buy tickets when they arrive at Disney and how they will have problems securing same day FP+s as one of the major drawbacks of the FP+ system. Again, that raises the questions of what percentage of guests do people think this is? And will the 60 day advance FP+ ressie system make these guests change their behavior? If so, what percentage will make advance ticket purchases more than 60+ days out. Not to mention what the percentage of guests make last minute trips under the 60 day window.

Given the above, there will always be a percentage of guests that will not be making FP+ ressie 60 days out. And yes, there will be a tremendous marketing campaign and most likely guests with packages may be given quick FP+ picks. But even with that marketing push, there will still not be 100% guest buy-in and participation in the 60 day advance reservations of FP+s.

What we are left with then is a percentage of guests that will make FP+ ressies at 60 days out. The question will be what percentage of guests and will that percentage be great enough to overwhelm the system and deplete the available FP+s for any given day. You would also have to factor in the time of year and park attendance.

I havent seen where people are are saying that there will be an abundance of same day FP+s available for any given day. Again, I believe there will be same day FP+s available for some attractions and of course it will vary based on time of year.

It will be interesting to see if the FP+ system will make a significant change in guest behavior when it comes to when they buy tickets.

We've had a couple of days this trip where I booked FP+ on a "rest" day. We'd sleep in, eat lunch, swim, then head to a park, hit the 3 reserved rides, then leave, or sandwich a dinner ADR with the FP+ rides.

While it worked well on a "rest" day, I'd hate for our entire WDW vacation to consist of days like that.

I will rd in the morning and fp+ my late afternoon/evening. There is too much for me to do on property to even think about leaving for the darkside, the fishy side or any shopping other than DTD. This Disney gal is sticking to the Motherland!! We can make our FP+ work anyway we want.

Another concern I have about the new FP is phone envy. Someone's phone is going to be cooler than another phone. Then the next thing Dad knows, his "vacation" just turned into a 2 year contract. With an average of 46 thousand people per day in just MK alone, I believe that scenario will have an impact on a lot of dads.

Trained CM's and TA's. . .that'll save everything. LOL

But seriously, you are dead on, this is going to be a huge marketing roll out. . .which leads me to. . .

What are the real numbers? Can anyone tell me the following:

1. What percentage of guests book a package that includes their park tickets 60+ days from their vacation?
2. What percentage of guests buy tickets 60+ days in advance?

The Tarheel brings up some good questions. I have noticed that over the last few years, it has seemed that the lines at the ticket counters have shrunken. No scientific data to back this, just my personal observation. Like everything thing else, tickets seem to be getting purchased online more and more frequently. If more people are buying online, either from Disney directly or from other ticketing sources, will there be more knowledge for the changes to go along with that.

And, as I brought up, I think the real big headache will be from the people who don't know about the changes. . .the kiosks will be a real nightmare. And not with Jack and Sally either. If you don't have a smartphone, get one.

Another concern I have about the new FP is phone envy. Someone's phone is going to be cooler than another phone. Then the next thing Dad knows, his "vacation" just turned into a 2 year contract. With an average of 46 thousand people per day in just MK alone, I believe that scenario will have an impact on a lot of dads.

So how long before we see cell phone kiosks on Main Street near Starbucks?

:lmao:

We've had a couple of days this trip where I booked FP+ on a "rest" day. We'd sleep in, eat lunch, swim, then head to a park, hit the 3 reserved rides, then leave, or sandwich a dinner ADR with the FP+ rides.

While it worked well on a "rest" day, I'd hate for our entire WDW vacation to consist of days like that.

That pretty much sums up the new system.

"WDW........ where every day is a rest day".

Now, for some, that will actually be a draw. But for us? Not on a bet. But it does sum it all up nicely.

I see new sponsorship potential....:lmao:

Nice to hear-that will work great for us, especially fishing and golf days.

Did you ever do this but rope drop another park first?

Could you have still done some SB those evenings? Phil, POTC etc.

Would that be your plan if this rolls out this way?

What did you do on arrival and departure days? Seems perfect for those days.

DD & were discussing this this morning on the way to school.

We easily came up with a dozen other things we'd like to see/do in FL that we never make time for because once we commit to a Disney vacation we pretty much immerse ourselves in it. Off the top of my head:

Sleeping in, pool time & then themed dinners like Arabian Nights, Medieval Times, etc
Sea World/Discovery Cove
Universal/IoA
Busch Gardens/Tampa
Kennedy Space Center
St Augustine
the FL Keys
Waterparks - Wet & Wild, etc.
Outlet shopping

Then we discussed all the other things OUTSIDE of FL & the conversation went on & on with endless possibilities. I could see us phasing out Disney altogether as we slow-step away a little more each year. :confused3

We actually took a couple trips that were not Disney trips so that we could do things in Orlando that we always missed because we didn't leave property. We had a great time doing Seaworld, US/IOA, waterparks, and eating at places other than Disney (though we did do 'Ohana, an DTD).

Nice to hear-that will work great for us, especially fishing and golf days.

Did you ever do this but rope drop another park first?

Could you have still done some SB those evenings? Phil, POTC etc.

Would that be your plan if this rolls out this way?

What did you do on arrival and departure days? Seems perfect for those days.

But I really can't imagine a large percentage of WDW visitors are looking forward to paying almost $100 a day per family member so they can spend 3 or 4 hours a day in the park, and get 3 rides.

But Disney is quite happy you think it's a good day, I'm sure.

Jason

But I really can't imagine a large percentage of WDW visitors are looking forward to paying almost $100 a day per family member so they can spend 3 or 4 hours a day in the park, and get 3 rides.

But Disney is quite happy you think it's a good day, I'm sure.

Jason

Who are you to define what "I think" is a good day is for my family?

Andl talking money is somebody's idea of value. I'm sorry your insecure about vacation costs. Money is part of it for us-but we would pay more money to do what we want. EX here is an additional $20 so I can avoid the rope drop stampede and drink my coffee and watch the sun rise.

Fishing is $250 so not exactly cheap-and it is one of our highlights of the week by far. Don't get me started with golf and dining-but they crush riding TSM any amount of times in a row. As do the night shows. We still like headliners-just have no shot at a reasonable wait when we arrive at the parks. FP+ cures that at no additional charge. You don't even want to know what I would have been willing to pay for it.

But once you get it in your head that some people do visit WDW for these attractions-just maybe you will understand what a huge improvement FP+ is on those days.

Some of us get one week a year from work, I am lucky and can afford what we prefer-but its still 80 hour weeks virtually all year. And believe me when I say-its not for commando days at WDW theme parks. Its for the weather, Deluxe resorts, DVC, fishing, golf, dining, drinks, ambiance, night shows, and if possible some headliners as well as some reasonable SB attractions.

Lastly-what about arrival and departure day? Are you saying FP+ won't work well for those? Or are those days to short to go into a park as well, even if you have an AP or long enough hopper.

That's what the dining plan and DME are for, as least regarding those who stay at Disney resorts. (They aren't really going to mind if you decide to hang around your Disney resort instead of going right to the park, or if you buy some Disney golf time or a Disney fishing excursion.)

No car? You may be less inclined to leave Disney property.

You've prepaid all your meals at Disney restaurants, so that's where you are going to eat.

As for Fastpass Plus they must not think it's that big a problem as long as they can get the guests into the park at some point in the day. Disney guests who don't have annuals or seasonals are probably less likely to drop into a park in the evening just to do three rides anyway. Yes, I would do it. I often go to a park, do one ride, and leave. But I have an annual. Guests who buy single or multiday tickets paid money for the tickets, and most will want to get the most out of them. Sure, there will be some who use a day's ticket for only a half day or a few hours in a park once in awhile. They won't do it every day.

I don't think I'm talking about repeat Disney guests like the ones on this board who are saying "I don't like the changes Disney is making, so I think I'll go stay at Universal." They're interested in catering to guests who want to devote at least a week to WDW and only WDW. The more days' worth of Disney tickets you buy, the cheaper they get, for example. Has the effect of making those buying tickets think how much cheaper it would be to add on another Disney day than to start over at Universal.

I don't even know yet if FP+ at 60 days will be available only to guests who buy packages with tickets. The ones it would probably affect most are the guests who book last minute, not those who don't book packages.

I'm guessing that it may encourage more park hopping thus buying more hoppers. We tend to do RD so we don't really need FP that early so I would save the FP+ for the second park or just later in the day.

This.:thumbsup2

And now that I can schedule nightly FP+ to headliners for my family, I might even (GASP!) skip a Park the next morning and play a round of golf and/or my wife might go to the spa.

FP+ gives planners more options and frees up time.

That free time will lead to more consumer spending.

Disney is banking on FP+ leading to more consumer spending at mostly Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter