• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Downs Syndrome question

every child is different, but I see no reason this will not be okay. May take slightly longer till s/he uses it , but that is no biggie as far as I know. :confused3

I agree with SingleDad. I can't think of any reason why that isn't an appropriate gift, even if it isn't used as soon as it might be with a 'typical' kid. Plus the parents are likely to be inundated with people now who feel like they must give something that's specific to a kid with 'special needs' that getting something that is something you'd give for any kid will be a nice break for them.

My daughter has Down Syndrome and she would have used that at about 18 - 20 months old. Gross Motor is actually one her strengths. She took her first steps at 18 months and was independently walking at 2 years old. It just depends. On average, most kids with Down Syndrome walk anywhere from 18-36 months old. If you've already bought it, I'd say it's fine. If not, Lily really liked the toys that you lay under and look at. We used to try to get her to reach for them. But even then that was about 6 or 7 months old. All she did for the first 4 months is sleep. Then she had heart surgery and woke up a different baby. It was amazing! Honestly more than anything you can buy is just support and acceptance that it will all be okay.

Thanks to all for the responses. I wanted to be sure that giving them a gift that the baby might not use for a couple of years would be okay. Maybe I'll also give them a toy that she can lie under and look at, like Lilyzmom suggested. That way they'll have something they can use right away and something they can use later.

personally, i loved getting gifts that i could save for later. esp clothing! *everyone* gives you stuff for that first few months, but after that your on your own. was nice to be able to pull something out of the closet that was new. :thumbsup2

my little brother and sister both have ds. well they not so little now they 24 and 19.

my mam adopted them when they were just little and she was told not to have high expectations. she ignored this advice and treated them the same as she had treated us, encouraging them all the way. my sister is just about to finish college and is looking to see where she can work and my brother works in a garden centre.

my tip is treat the kid as you would any other, yes they may take longer to get there but they do get there in the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter