Down Town Disney Strategy

yankeepenny

DVC owner at Saratoga Springs Resort
we saw a lot last year as first timers, but this year (2 adults) will spend time at DTD. Having never been, I do have a map and wanted to hear from others which side you start on, should i go for like 3 or 4 pm and plan a TS there, or any suggestions/comments would be helpfull
Did I mention I like to shop? :rolleyes1

any restaurant advice too would be appreciated.
I just realized.....212 days to go....!:lmao:

I usually don't travel down to West Side because there are not many Disney themed stores down there. Virgin's Mega Store is there, and many restaurants. I only do Pleasure Island at night, because we go to the Adventuers's Club, which I highly recommend for some great laughs. That place is a HOOT!
You cannot beat World of Disney for shopping. My traveling companions usually leave me in the store and go outside for some people watching. I probably make my rounds in that store 6 or 7 times at least before checking out. I am like a kid in a candy store in there.
There are some other great speciailty shops at DTD also that are worth checking out. The Christmas Store is wonderful.
As for restaurants, we don't usually eat a TS there. I have been to Rain Forest Cafe which is has a great atmposhere. My mom and I always stop at Giradellia's(i know I spelled that wrong) to share an ice cream sundae.
Hope this helps with your planning. DTD is a great place, but beware, you will probably spend a lot of money.

I have a question about DTD: I have been told that there is a scrapbooking store in DTD...can someone tell me what it is called??

i didn't head down to the west side at all on my last trip. i did go to the world of disney store and LOVED it. they have tons of adorable stuff in there but be prepared to spend a few bucks:)

the christmas store is also cute!

They also have a pooh store, which i LOVED since pooh is my #1 favorite character! And if you have any pets you should chek out the pet supply shop they have!

They also have a 'pick a pearl' station which was located near rainforest cafe if i remember right. Be prepared to spend at least 30 bucks if you want anything after getting the pearl itself! All i did was get a pearl and have it mounted for a necklace and it was about 37 bucks ( i cant remember EXACTLY but that sounds about right).

HAVE FUN though!!! I liked downtown disney, and went there often since i was staying at SSR!!!

As far as restaurants are concerned: We were less than impressed with Cap'n Jacks for TS, but I strongly recommend Wolfgang Puck's Express for a Counter Service meal - two thumbs up for the Rotisserie Chicken and the Creme Brulée.

We usually stay in the Market Place, and Pleasure Island. If you like to shop don't miss The Art of Disney. I think if you visit The Art of Disney and walk through to the other end of the store there is a Scrap Booking store. We enjoy eating at Fulton Crab House, Cap't Jack's and The Earl of Sandwich.

We usually set aside a day or two half days/evenings to go to DTD. I am not happy until I have been through all the stores twice :rolleyes1 have to make sure I didn't miss anything. We like the Rainforest cafe or Earl of sandwich and we never miss a sundae at Ghirardelli 's. :teeth:

I always make time for DTD -- it feeds both my Disney and shopping addictions at once!

The Earl of Sandwich is a really great value for a counter service meal.

Enjoy!!

We are all over DTD.
There are a variety of places to eat, and we just go with whatever strikes our fancy.
Saturday evenings we like to sit through a few Comedy Warehouse shows. :banana: :lmao:
You could easily make an evening of DTD by arriving at 3 - 4 p.m. and staying until midnight or so.
I think the stores close at 11:00 p.m.

DTD gets pretty crowded in the evening. We enjoy taking a day off from the parks and heading down there in the daytime. Rainforest is easier to get into at lunch, we also really like Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich. The stores are a little less packed and easier to browse. If you have a car, I recommend driving to DTD, the bus service can be slow. If we have a bad weather day, we enjoy heading to West Side and taking in a movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter