Down Power Line

Callie

Always Dreaming of Disney Magic
We came home from running errands last night to our neighbors tree having fallen finally (it's been dead for a long time). It came down right on the power line, and snapped the street sign post holding it.

Its now laying across our drive. I have no way to get out and drive back to my home about 3 hours away.

I assume the power company has been called to remove the tree, and fix the line? I am confused, You said you came home to find the tree down, so why would you need to get out and drive back home- you don't live there?

We've called. We were in my moms car, mine is still stuck in the driveway, and I have to drive 3 hours home. I can't take my moms.

ah...now I get it..well you just have a little longer time to visit with your Mom! Hope they get the line fixed soon for you!

Thanks, I've already extended the visit by a day. I have to be back home tonight.

It's on your property, it's your responsibility; hire some one to remove it.

LOL You think someone is going to come and move a possibly live power line? She did the right thing by calling the power company. No other company would dare come out to move it. Geez.....

I hate dog pilling but seriously you don't do a damn thing with downed power lines except call the POCO immediately......I'm holding out hope you were acctually talking about the tree removal, which I have no inclination to care one way or the other who's removing that.

Last edited:
Call the power company and stay the heck away from it. The going home details can be worked out later. Those things can kill you.

If a neighbor's healthy tree falls on your property, it is your responsibility to have it removed. I know the power company will come and fix the line, but they may not remove the whole tree from your property.

We had this exact scenario happen during a hurricane. Our next door neighbor's giant oak tree fell from her yard, broke our fence, and 90% of it was in our yard. The power company handled the downed line and took the part of the tree that was in the road. They left the rest of the tree.

After talking with our state farm agent, we had to pay to remove the part of the tree from our yard.

If the tree had been diseased, and we had sent a warning letter with picture to our neighbor and insurance agent, we might could've made our neighbor pay for the whole tree. Of course we had done none of these things because the tree was healthy and was brought down by a weather event.

That is the law in Georgia.

It doesn't really matter who or what made the line come down, it needs to be handled by the power company.

Yes the power company is the only one that will deal with the down power line but I don't think they will do anything with the tree. It does matter what made the line come down. If a person has a dead tree in their yard and it comes down in your yard you shouldn't have to pay to get the tree cleared out of your yard.

Yes the power company is the only one that will deal with the down power line but I don't think they will do anything with the tree. It does matter what made the line come down. If a person has a dead tree in their yard and it comes down in your yard you shouldn't have to pay to get the tree cleared out of your yard.
First, the tree isn't causing the OP to become "stranded" at her mom's house which is what this thread is about. Second, I'm pretty sure the law says barring any kind of property damage, the homeowner of the land where the branch fell is responsible for cleanup.

First, the tree isn't causing the OP to become "stranded" at her mom's house which is what this thread is about. Second, I'm pretty sure the law says barring any kind of property damage, the homeowner of the land where the branch fell is responsible for cleanup.

Not if the tree is dead. Like the op said. Might be kind of hard to prove and probably cheaper to pay to have the tree removed yourself. If the neighbor is decent they will volunteer to pay for the clean up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter