• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Double Umbrella Stroller Recs Needed - 4 & 5 year-olds

MrsMeow

Earning My Ears
After going back and forth, we decided that instead of bringing my son's wheelchair to Disney that we'd purchase a double-umbrella stroller instead. My son (will be almost 6 by the time of the trip) is long/tall for his age when he wears his prostheses (bilateral below knee amputee), and that will be the vast majority of the trip, but we need to minimize his walking down as much as possible.

I envision his younger brother (will be 4.5 at the time of the trip) will want to ride if his brother is. He's shorter for his age. Both boys are right at 40 pounds.

I realize that 6 is getting up there for needing a stroller, but there is no way my oldest will be able to handle all of the walking, and his brother is a punk and just plain won't want to walk if my oldest isn't. :)

I'd appreciate any stroller recommendations. The cheaper, the better. I was hoping for an umbrella stroller, but I'm worried that my oldest will be too tall when he has his prostheses on.

depending on ride the walk to getting on can be on the long side might want to look at stroller as a wheelchair tag for older boys stroller. that way his stroller can come all the way to ride if not he will have to walk and stand in line a strollers are not allowed in line. unless you can find a double that works for both boys together younger will have to stand in line and that can cause some problems explaining to younger.

Rather than purchasing one, I would suggest renting from an off-site company. Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 2 is about renting wheelchairs/ECVs/mobility devices. Toward the end of that thread, there is information about renting strollers.

I would suggest checking out some of the strollers that are rented - some of the rental websites have specifications on their websites. If not, you can google the different styles.
You could also find a place that carries some of the styles - like Toys R Us or Kids R Us - so you can actually have him try it out. It sounds like height is going to be an issue much more than weight.
You want to look at the specifications for seat depth and height from knee to footrest. If those are too small, it will put more pressure on his stumps and/or prosthetics.
You might also want to look into renting a special needs stroller for him from one of the off-site companies and just rent a stroller from the parks as needed for the other child.

I don't know why you has decided not to bring his own wheelchair, but just FYI - wheelchairs are carried free of charge by airlines and don't count toward your baggage allowance.

Rather than purchasing one, I would suggest renting from an off-site company. Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 2 is about renting wheelchairs/ECVs/mobility devices. Toward the end of that thread, there is information about renting strollers.

I would suggest checking out some of the strollers that are rented - some of the rental websites have specifications on their websites. If not, you can google the different styles.
You could also find a place that carries some of the styles - like Toys R Us or Kids R Us - so you can actually have him try it out. It sounds like height is going to be an issue much more than weight.
You want to look at the specifications for seat depth and height from knee to footrest. If those are too small, it will put more pressure on his stumps and/or prosthetics.
You might also want to look into renting a special needs stroller for him from one of the off-site companies and just rent a stroller from the parks as needed for the other child.

I don't know why you has decided not to bring his own wheelchair, but just FYI - wheelchairs are carried free of charge by airlines and don't count toward your baggage allowance.

The decision to not bring his wheelchair is two-fold - 1), he rarely uses it now as is and 2) if we brought his wheelchair, we'd also have to do a stroller for his brother. I figure this way we can kill two birds with one stone.

I'll check out the FAQ thread - thanks!

We've rented a double stroller from Magic Strollers several times and really like the City GT Double Stroller. The height limit is 49 inches and the weight limit is 100 pounds (total). By renting, you get to try it out to see if it might be something you'd want to purchase in the long run. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter