• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

double stroller needed?

jillianjigs7

DVC Member
I am due to have baby #2 in June and we are going back to Disney the first week of December. DD will be 3.5 years at that time, and of course the little guy will be 6 months. Do you think I will need a double stroller? DD loves to walk but Disney does wear her out and she likes to relax while we stroll.

We venture to Disney many times a year so if we purchased a double I know it would get use - but probably mostly while on vacations.

Thoughts?

I am due to have baby #2 in June and we are going back to Disney the first week of December. DD will be 3.5 years at that time, and of course the little guy will be 6 months. Do you think I will need a double stroller? DD loves to walk but Disney does wear her out and she likes to relax while we stroll.

We venture to Disney many times a year so if we purchased a double I know it would get use - but probably mostly while on vacations.

Thoughts?

IMO, YES!! You are going to want to be able to let the 3.5 year old sit. She will get tired walking and I, personally, wouldn't want to wear the baby so she could sit in the stroller. (Which would be the only other option I can think of). My kids at 3 all still used the stroller at WDW/DL even though we didn't use it much at home. The reality is it is a lot of walking around and it is hot and kids get tired. Also, I don't know if your DD still naps (ours didn't much by then but Disney always made them so tired that they fell asleep every day in the stroller!). It is nice to have for other reasons too. It makes it easier to get in and out of the park having them contained, especially if it is really busy. It is also great to store stuff in. Ours was a pack mule! You can rent them if you do not plan on buying one and renting them isn't bad in price. Lastly, I think it will be hard to say to your DD at 3 that she couldn't sit in the stroller and be pushed when the baby is. It might not be a big deal to her, but it may be too. If she has her own side, she can get in and out whenever she wants. Good luck!

I would just get a single. If you think she'll walk the majority of the time, there's no need for a double. A 6 month old is small enough to wear most of the time, so I would rent a single and invest in a good carrier (I love my beco). Much easier than pushing around a big double, plus a carrier makes it more convenient to walk and nurse. :thumbsup2

You will definitely want a stroller for both kids. We've brought our own and rented. When our oldest were younger we just brought two from home and that was fine. It was nice for one of us to be hands free when we starting renting doubles. That being said, it might be hard to find a double rental that you can use for an infant and toddler. I know some of them rent a car seat attachment piece for the doubles. The Citi Mini GT is an awesome double stroller, but if the only way you can use it for an infant is with a car seat you might want to rethink it because if you plan to use Disney buses you have to fold up the stroller and car seats aren't allowed.

Unless you plan on wearing your little one you will definitely need a double stroller.

I do think the 3.5 year old will need a stroller but since I *hate* giant strollers, I would wear the baby (which I prefer at that age anyway) and skip the double stroller.

I would take a small stroller for the older child and rent a double city mini ..then you can decide each day what works. I wore my kids a lot but all day long it gets hard.

I would. My kids are 3:5 years apart. My DD hasn't used a stroller since she was about 2 so I only have a single. She quit napping at 3. The only place she rides in a stroller and takes a nap is Disneyland and that's only 1 day for us. We went in February and I just took my single stroller. In the afternoon DS fell asleep in my ergo so DD hopped in the stroller and fell asleep herself. It worked out ok, but we will be in WDW for 4 days, so I rented a double stroller for that trip.

Great, thanks for your opinions! We have a single City Mini so I'm thinking I'll invest in the City Mini double. DD does still nap, especially in Disney.

I'd def take a stroller. We have a city mini double and love it. We were gonna brings ours for this trip, but I'm just gonna rent one for $37 for 7 days!!
Applestrollers.com
There is an entire thread on it an its legit. I'll try to find it-

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3068059

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

A stroller for sure!

wearing a baby that long and walking yourself while wearing = not great on the back unless you are in awesome shape (I am not and could never baby wear that long, etc).

my twins were just under 3 on our last trip and would have never survived without a stroller for each of them to sit in the whole time ---- we had a ride on board for my older son who turned 5 on the trip - thinking he'd want to ride on a lot --well, he wanted to SIT a lot in the stroller and actually passed out EVERY day of our trip in the stroller (at home he had not been napping for many months, and had not been in a stroller for years).... so yeah- you'll want a double!

We rented a city mini double while there- but this time we're bringing our own that we purchased used from a friend for cheaper than a rental costs. I think it's the best Disney stroller - i have owned 15 strollers over the past 6 years and thing the city mini is by far the best for Disney.

We are going in Sept with a 4 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old and I have a double stroller already rented but now I'm wondering if we'd be better with 2 singles. What do you think?

Unless you wear the baby, I would say you would need a stroller. I've been twice in the last year with a 4,4, and 2 year old. We roll with a double and a single :cool1:

Doubles are obviously wider, but unless you are going during the super busy time of year that isn't an issue at Disney. Doubles can give you the opportunity for one parent to have their hands free, which is always a plus. If you buy a double like a MacLaren Twin Triumph, it folds like a single umbrella stroller and does not take up any more room than two regular umbrella strollers. IMO, a single stroller can occasionally be pushed one handed, a double usually cannot (unless you are really coordinated and have strong forearms (DH can do it, I can't)).

I would get a double. We recently went with a 3.5 year old. They're definitely capable of walking on their own, but there is so much walking at Disney that they get tired and need some time to rest in the stroller.

If you don't want to buy one, you could always rent one. We found both Orlando Stroller Rental and Kingdom Strollers to be extremely convenient and the pricing was reasonable.

One nice thing about singles is you can divide and conquer, we have found that taking 2 singles allows us more flexibility for bathroom breaks, food, etc. And also allows one parent to park in place for nap time while the other still gets to enjoy stroller with the non napping child.

Thoughts?

Absolutely! My kids get a stroller at Disney up through age 5, and they never use them at home past about 2 and are both pretty active kids, but Disney is totally different and there's no way I'm carrying one of them around or listening to a cranky kid because they want to sit.

Yes! It is just so much more walking than they would normally do. DD3.5 (will be 4 in Oct) was napping it the stroller (she doesn't nap at home). We have a front and back stroller and in the future we would use a side by side becuase when the front child is laid back to nap then the back seat is useless.

One nice thing about singles is you can divide and conquer, we have found that taking 2 singles allows us more flexibility for bathroom breaks, food, etc. And also allows one parent to park in place for nap time while the other still gets to enjoy stroller with the non napping child.

This is a good idea-you can get clips that will attach the two as well

Thoughts?

I highly recommend it. We bought our double stroller back in 2010 when are girls were 1 and 4. Now they are 7 (almost 8) and 5 and we still use the double stroller. First of all it's nice for me as the parent to have them contained because of the crowds, and I don't have to listen to whining about not wanting to walk, which means we can stay in the park longer :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter