Double Stroller and bus question

newestkg06

DIS Veteran
We'll be renting a car because we are going to Legoland and SeaWorld too. We plan on driving to AK, DHS, and EP. I'm just at a loss of what to do for MK. We will be going during low crowds and have 8AM ADR's for both MK days that open at 9AM. Would you drive and have to ride the resort monorail over (hoping that that all goes well) or should we take the resort bus? One of the days, we'll be doing Wishes, so I think that day we'll try to valet at the Contemporary and walk over to avoid the clusterF of leaving with everyone else. My boys would love to ride the monorail (I'm guessing here). Just curious what other people thought. Is it a bigger hassle to have a large stroller folded up on the bus (and waiting for the bus), or is it more of a hassle to deal with the monorail/ferry?

Its not really that big of a hassle to fold up the stroller. We don't overpack it (we have a back pack rule. If it doesn't fit in the one back pack we bring, we don't bring it). While on line for the bus we put anything that may have come out of the back pack during the day back in. Then when we are close to the front, fold the stroller and go. I usually grab the kids, dh stands toward the back with the stroller. Its seriously no big deal if you spend a couple minutes organizing yourself.

I have had worse experiences with the monorail because even though you don't have to fold it up, you have to find a spot big enough for the stroller and at peak times that alone can be an issue. Then you are packed in there.

If you want the most hassle free, then I would just stay at the Contemporary and walk. Or valet at the CR as you indicated, hopefully you won't have a long wait at night when you're waiting for them to fetch your car.

We never had any problems with our double stroller on resort buses when we stayed at the CR and Poly. It was fine when there were both parents. On the day I went to AK alone and DH went golfing, I just didn't bring the stroller. I think if you have very young kids and only one parent that is the only opportunity for struggle.

We've never taken the ferry so I can't comment on ferry vs monorail. We've only gone at low crowd times and never had a problem finding a monorail spot for our double stroller.

We don't overpack it (we have a back pack rule. If it doesn't fit in the one back pack we bring, we don't bring it). While on line for the bus we put anything that may have come out of the back pack during the day back in. Then when we are close to the front, fold the stroller and go. I usually grab the kids, dh stands toward the back with the stroller. Its seriously no big deal if you spend a couple minutes organizing yourself.

Thanks, this is really good advice. I definitely don't want to be that annoying person who has 10 million bags underneath and waits until the last possible moment to start organizing things to fold up the stroller with 20 impatient people behind me. That is part of reason I want to drive.

It will be both me and my husband with 7 & 4 yo, so at least I'll have help! It would be nice to not have to fold on the monorail. I'm thinking with the early ADR's that the buses should be pretty quiet at least going there in the morning.

Did your kids really love riding the monorail or was it no big deal and they just wanted to get there quickly?

My kids could careless about the monorail. They loved the MK steam train though.

We take the bus. Nothing's hanging or underneath the stroller. I have 1 double stroller and a backpack. If I go by myself with the kids, they know that they listen or else we go straight back to the room. I typically sit with my 2yo on my lap, 5yr in the next seat and folded city mini in front of us.

Have you considered taking a single stroller? The double is a PIA when you go on the steam train. Unless you are going a full loop, you'll want to take it with you. And there's not much room for it.

Have you considered taking a single stroller? The double is a PIA when you go on the steam train. Unless you are going a full loop, you'll want to take it with you. And there's not much room for it.

I have thought about the single, but my 7yo is a big whiner about walking. I know that they could trade off, so maybe that is something we should reconsider. I think we'll be doing the full loop on the train. the 4yo is super into Thomas, so I know that'll be high on his list. Thanks for the advice!

My kids could careless about the monorail.

Good to hear this too!

My kids are the same age and we do the buses every day with a double stroller. We do the 1 backpack thing, too. I grab the backpack and the kids, dh folds the stroller and holds it in front of him on the bus. Just have a plan ahead of time and you'll be fine!

My kids also don't really care about the monorail. They choose to stay in the stroller and not look out the windows or anything. Maybe the stroller is TOO comfortable, haha.

We prefer the monorail over the bus only because we don't have to fold the stroller when getting on the monorail. We also found that when using the water transportation from POR in 2013 we had to take the kids out of the stroller but could park it unfolded in a special area. That was easy and cool. Kids loved the boats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter