Double Pooh Sized Guest

M. Eisner said:
The term fat is not used anymore. It is obese and morbidly obese. It sounds like your friend is morbidly obese.

Jeez Louise. I liked fat better. It just sounds a whole lot less lethal.

Jennasmomma said:
Thank you everyone for the help. For those few rude people ...its not a friend. Its my sister that has struggled with her weight since she was 11 but thanks for your compassion all the same.

My sister does alot of walking, but has a desk job. Her car is a small one but she has one of those seatbelt expander things. She did read on allearsnet last night about their WDW at large. She thinks she'll be able to do just about everything she wants to.

She's been to disney once. SHe didnt get to do much because her ex bf is a doofus.

JEnnasmomma, I am jealous of your screen name. I am a momma of a Jenna too!

:grouphug:

BurkeTribe said:
Depending on how obese and tall your friend is, many of the coasters may be no-gos.

I saw one park sign last week somewhere that said something like (paraphrasing) "this ride not suitable for extremely overweight people," but I can't remember what ride it was for-- maybe BTMRR or EE or TowerT or TestT or RNR?

Since there is so such info online nowadays about WDW, I would bet there is a page somewhere that breaks it down by girth or width allowed for each ride.

:laughing: I don't think it says that, it says "may not accomodate persons with certain body shapes" :thumbsup2

bengalfreak said:
Jeez Louise. I liked fat better. It just sounds a whole lot less lethal.

Yeah. O.O It's like you go around telling everyone, "Oh, I'm not fat, I'm morbidly obese!"

marivaid said:
And if one was to judge from what you wrote, I guess America is becoming more ignorant too. I gained 100lbs from taking Prednisone for the past 3 years (what can I say, I got used to that whole BREATHING thing) and I probably do more in a day than you do in a week. Think before you open your mouth.
I'd rather be fat than stupid. I may eventually lose the weight,but you'll never grow a brain. And you'll always need to put people down to make yourself feel better.

Thanks you said what I was thinking! :goodvibes

but can't find it...

I am 5'5" and weigh 330. I weighed 10 lbs more last year, and I went on AK Safari, Soarin, RRC, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Space Mountain, Kali River Rapids, Pirates, HM, Pooh, Snow White, Peter Pan, IASW, BTMRR, TofT to name a few.

Don't know what your sister's specs are, but if they are anything like mine, she might be a little snug in some of the rides, but will be fine. I ALWAYS ask a CM before getting on a ride, as they know which cars might be slightly more accomodating.

allears.net will be very helpful.

Hope your trip is fabulous!

:woohoo:

Very nice of you to help your sis research. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit in a Pooh suit but I can ride almost everything at WDW. Someone made the point that it's all about body type and where you carry your weight (and how limber you are) and that is so true.
I agree with the prevailing sentiment that WDW is extremely accessible and she shouldn't have many, if any, problems. If you want to PM me with height/weight/measurements I can see how we compare and how she compares with some other Pooh and Baloo sized people I talked with before I went and can probably give you some more definitive answers.

The allears site is great, they have pictures of the actual ride cars and some testimonials from those who have gone before.

I think the usual hints have been covered but just in case...

Seat belt rides generally have plenty of belt, pull it ALL the way out before you sit down. Sometimes the place to buckle it in may be hard to reach (Soarin') and you might want to grab it and buckle it for her. I've had the CM jump in and help as well. They were always professional about it and it wasn't a big deal.

Many of the turnstiles at MK are a tight fit. I can get through them but it ain't pretty so I avoid them. There's generally a handicap access gate right next to them and if you stand at it and smile questioningly at the CM they're quick to usher you through. If she finds that the turnstile may be a problem she only needs to be especially aware at Haunted Mansion and Country bears. The handicapped access is at a different point and when you get to the turnstiles there's no where to go but through them. (or, over them as I did at the HM last month much to the amusement of the 11 year old in our party - I don't recommen this approach) :)
As the refurb rides they are improving this situation.

Many rides at WDW are designed to hold two people in a seat. Unless she has a small child or a really skinny minnie to ride with she'll probably be more comfortable with a seat to herself. We were always an odd numbered party so this worked out great for us. If you are an even numbered party you might want to think about who is sitting with who ahead of time or ride as a party of 3 and a party of 3 instead of a party of 6.

I'm not terribly shy and usually just asked the first CM I came to if my going on the ride was a realistic possibility. They see all shapes and sizes go through there every day and probably have the best take on it.

Even if there is a ride or two (most likely Space Mountain) that she can't do there will be many many (practically everything) more she can go on.

Again, please PM me if you're still looking for more info. I stressed A LOT about this before I went and talked to a lot of people.

shellybaxter said:
And rude people can make insensitive replies to posts that ask for important information.

Sorry - just calling a spade a spade

And busy bodies can chime in on posts that have nothing to do with them.

Sorry- just calling a spade a spade

goodfaerie said:
but can't find it...

I am 5'5" and weigh 330. I weighed 10 lbs more last year, and I went on AK Safari, Soarin, RRC, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Space Mountain, Kali River Rapids, Pirates, HM, Pooh, Snow White, Peter Pan, IASW, BTMRR, TofT to name a few.

Don't know what your sister's specs are, but if they are anything like mine, she might be a little snug in some of the rides, but will be fine. I ALWAYS ask a CM before getting on a ride, as they know which cars might be slightly more accomodating.

allears.net will be very helpful.

Hope your trip is fabulous!

:woohoo:

Congrats on your weight loss, keep up the good work! :thumbsup2

SplshMtnLvr28 said:
:laughing: I don't think it says that, it says "may not accomodate persons with certain body shapes" :thumbsup2

Disneycorp definitely is good at not offending people in the slightest, but still getting their intended message across :smooth: ...
I essentially remembered what the sign meant, rather than what it stated :)

IrishWake said:
And busy bodies can chime in on posts that have nothing to do with them.

Sorry- just calling a spade a spade

How do you know that this thread has nothing to do with me?? Maybe I'm double pooh sized? Maybe I'm not but I'm tired of large people being the last group of people it is okay to discriminate against and make fun of in America. Maybe I'm the OP sister - you have no idea

PS - I'm pretty sure that you can't be a busy body on a public discussion board

I am fat, obese, morbidly obese, whatever. It is a fact of life. It is not that I like being so, I fight it each and every day in spite of being on prednisone and several other medications that make it even more difficult to trim down. I exercise, I watch what I eat, most of the time and I have lost 90 pounds.

I also have a nice smile, am kind to people, volunteer to teach children to read, have a strange sense of humor, can work well with power tools, read a book most every day, grow great veggies, love to help people plan trips to DW, am always available to any of my grandchildren or any other child who is in need of attention and very likely to give a big hug to any obnoxious people I meet because I believe they need it more than most as they must be very miserable. I figure it might help and if it does not help them it helps me. Of course if a really obnoxious person did something mean to a child I might hug them for a really, really long time and forget to let go until they fell lifeless at my feet. Love fixes all things. :rotfl2:

Slightly Goofy

Slightly Goofy said:
I am fat, obese, morbidly obese, whatever. It is a fact of life. It is not that I like being so, I fight it each and every day in spite of being on prednisone and several other medications that make it even more difficult to trim down. I exercise, I watch what I eat, most of the time and I have lost 90 pounds.

I also have a nice smile, am kind to people, volunteer to teach children to read, have a strange sense of humor, can work well with power tools, read a book most every day, grow great veggies, love to help people plan trips to DW, am always available to any of my grandchildren or any other child who is in need of attention and very likely to give a big hug to any obnoxious people I meet because I believe they need it more than most as they must be very miserable. I figure it might help and if it does not help them it helps me. Of course if a really obnoxious person did something mean to a child I might hug them for a really, really long time and forget to let go until they fell lifeless at my feet. Love fixes all things. :rotfl2:

Slightly Goofy

Lol i love this post.. u rock slightlygoofy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter