"Double Dip Delight" Alternate Western 09/27/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Lois here. I was just watching the weather and they are expecting up to 1" of ICE in the next 24 hours. I don't really like snow but I hate ICE. We could use a little pixie dust that we don't lose power. Last time we lost power it was 8 days before we got it back. Not fun. Lois

We spent most of Fri. in the dark a little snow and ice and for some reason everyone aims for a utility pole to slow them down:confused3 :confused3

anyway good luck heres a shot of dust for youpixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: :tinker:

Lois--:wizard: that you do not loose power. We are getting snow today also. It's PRETTY. We have one four wheel drive. Dave called to toell me he will pick up Rio's perscription and be home by 5:00 to transport Marika to karate becuase it is too slick for me to try to go out in the Focus. I'm glad he is wathcing out for us. We do not tend to lose power thank goodness (for us no power means no heat:scared1: ).

Deb--I have no real idea. My kids have MP-3s built into their cell phones which seem to be all they want/need. Good luck figuring out what the best option for your DD really is.

Brandie--No help on travel insurance here. We--ummm--don't buy it. Our health insurance covers overseas and even the evacuation helicopters if needed so we just figure we know we may have to pay for lodging/new airfare, etc in an emergency in the very unlikely event that we need it. A calculated risk on our part (we figure we have saved about $8000 over the past 10 years by not buying a reasonably priced policy for each trip--not likely that what we would have to cover on a trip would add up to more than this anyway).

Erik--are you home yet? How was WDW?

I haven't posted in a really long time, and I actually have not been able to even keep up with all of your posts for the last month or so, so I have no idea what has been going on.:confused3 Any important news or plans I should know about?
We just made the move into our new house and are almost settled in. Now we can put all of our focus onto cruise planning!:) My DD-9 is still hoping to be able to talk to the kids her age on a kids chat, I don't know if one has been started yet or not.
Well, it is freezing here in Oregon, no snow though, which hardly makes the cold worth it! I will be on my way up to Puyallup, WA for my daughters cheer competition on Saturday morning.:cheer2: popcorn:: The hectic and time consuming cheer season has begun :confused: (oh, the things that we do for our children:love: ).
That's all for now, Happy Holidays! :santa:

Arin, I don't believe we've done anything important but socialize.

So here's a laugh for everybody... DH was helping Fiona download her pictures from her camera into her Mac. Fiona did some miracle key combination and the computer started talking (you know, the visually impaired help?). DH 'bout started screeching that wasn't going to work for him. The funny part? Took him a good 5-10 minutes to hit the right control panel, as the computer helpfully (unhelpfully? gloatingly?) let him know every new screen or option! :rotfl: I was dying laughing at his grumbling!!! Too, too funny!

*wave*
Brandie

Greetings all!!

Jason and I back from our trip....a quick HIV conference in Atlanta and then a nice long weekendish trip to WDW. We had a great time....and it was way too short.

There's of course way too much for me to possibly try to catch up with or reply to here......but it's good to see you all kept busy with tons of posting in our absence!!:lmao:

We spent most of Fri. in the dark a little snow and ice and for some reason everyone aims for a utility pole to slow them down:confused3 :confused3

anyway good luck heres a shot of dust for youpixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: :tinker:

Lois--:wizard: that you do not loose power. We are getting snow today also. It's PRETTY. We have one four wheel drive. Dave called to toell me he will pick up Rio's perscription and be home by 5:00 to transport Marika to karate becuase it is too slick for me to try to go out in the Focus. I'm glad he is wathcing out for us. We do not tend to lose power thank goodness (for us no power means no heat:scared1: ).

Thanks for the pixis dust it seemed to help. We got the ice but only lost power for only a few hours. Thanks everyone. Lois

Lois:hug: I am so happy to see a post from you. I was really worrying that you were not able to due to being one of the million people without power. I am so glad to know you and JAnet are okay:)

Erik: Welcome home:) Do you (or ANYONE ELSE) have any bright ideas for activites/crafts for Rio's High School Musical birthday party? It turns out two guests have never seen the movie:eek: (and one is not allwoed to, something about not wanting to give her ideas about boys being so important--odd to me becasue this kid watches and adores Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc all the time and the message about boys in those seems MUCH worse than HSM:confused3 ). Anyway, this means we will not be able to play the HSM charades and guess which character I am games we were thinking of. We are making pennants (red felt and white puffy paint) and having a find the cell phone game (thanks to the Community Board for that idea--I never thought I would start a thread there, but I am desperate). And, instead of cake (Rio loves sweets but doesn't really care fr cake) we are serving cookies and CREME BRULEE:rotfl2: (note: Rio adores Creme Brulee--when it is on the menu is generally the only time he sticks in the dining room through the meal instead of heading to the room to unwide with a Mickey bar from room service). So, anyway if any one has any bright ideas PLEASE share.

Brandie: Fioana totally cracks me up. I am just picturing the agrivated husband and the talking computer:lmao:

Lois:hug: I am so happy to see a post from you. I was really worrying that you were not able to due to being one of the million people without power. I am so glad to know you and JAnet are okay:)

Erik: Welcome home:) Do you (or ANYONE ELSE) have any bright ideas for activites/crafts for Rio's High School Musical birthday party? It turns out two guests have never seen the movie:eek: (and one is not allwoed to, something about not wanting to give her ideas about boys being so important--odd to me becasue this kid watches and adores Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc all the time and the message about boys in those seems MUCH worse than HSM:confused3 ). Anyway, this means we will not be able to play the HSM charades and guess which character I am games we were thinking of. We are making pennants (red felt and white puffy paint) and having a find the cell phone game (thanks to the Community Board for that idea--I never thought I would start a thread there, but I am desperate). And, instead of cake (Rio loves sweets but doesn't really care fr cake) we are serving cookies and CREME BRULEE:rotfl2: (note: Rio adores Creme Brulee--when it is on the menu is generally the only time he sticks in the dining room through the meal instead of heading to the room to unwide with a Mickey bar from room service). So, anyway if any one has any bright ideas PLEASE share.

Brandie: Fioana totally cracks me up. I am just picturing the agrivated husband and the talking computer:lmao:

Thank you for the kind words I am sure it was because of the pixie dust recieved from my fellow DISERS that we only lost power for a few hours.

I can't believe a parent would not allow a child to watch HSM. I remember it showing a strong female who was able to do as she wanted and not rely on a male. Maybe these parents want their child to believe that women need to remain submissive to males and don't want to give her any other ideas. Makes no sense to me. Just how old are these kids?

Hadley----Doesn't sound to me like these parents have ever even watched HSM to be able to criticize its message about boys and girls....because you're right...the messages in the traditional Disney films, I think, are a lot more problematic in terms of how they disempower women. (I actually was just reading a thesis document about that very issue, framed in specific about the message from "The Little Mermaid", that was really interesting). I think you should tie these parents down and force them to watch it!! :thumbsup2

Now in terms of activities or crafts? Making pendants is good....making Tshirts could be fun, too. Or maybe get blank journal books or notebooks at a craft store and have them all decorate their own "HSM Birthday Party Yearbook." I will try to think of some other ideas, too.

I can't believe a parent would not allow a child to watch HSM. I remember it showing a strong female who was able to do as she wanted and not rely on a male. Maybe these parents want their child to believe that women need to remain submissive to males and don't want to give her any other ideas. Makes no sense to me.

I don't let my DS watch HSM, and it certainly has nothing to do with not wanting him to see strong female characters, or to instill the idea that women need to be submissive. I don't let him watch it because he doesn't need to be exposed to the whole "clique" mentality - other people dictating who you can and can't like, separating individuals into labeled categories based on their appearance or talents or whatever. :confused3 As a homeschooling parent, that's exactly what I *DON'T* want to expose him to. Yes, I know, they get together in the end with everyone's blessing, but IMO that's not enough to negate the pervasive exposure throughout the movie.

I have no issue with HSM in and of itself - I love to see G-rated movies become successful. :thumbsup2 My 6yo nephew loves HSM, and my DS has the CD and loves it. But I take strong exception to the assertion that any parent who doesn't allow HSM must be some wacko who doesn't want their kids exposed to strong female characters. :sad2:

Oh my goodness I really did not mean to start a row. Let's all please get along--this has been such a wonderful thread in that regard. I really don't think Lois meant to offend, she was playing off MY having said that the nighbors objection to HSM was the boy/girl thing. AQW I am also a homeschooling mom but persoanlly I see the clique thing handled beautifully in HSM. My kids HAVE seen cliques (they pop up at the dance studio and summer camp and all over the place, and their cousins are very cliquiee). I love that this movie's message (as I see it) is that no one should feel limited by their clique, their parents, their teachers or even their own previous perceptions of themselves. The idea is to be true to yourself and respect others who do the same. What confused me about my neighbor is that the objection she has to HSM (which she has never seen) should apply to so many otehr movies who daughter watches on a regular basis (my DD is her DDs babysitter so I do know a lot of what she watches:laughing: )
Erik you are correct that the neighbors have not seen HSM. SHe told me so and I tried to explain (she and I have very similar values so I keep thinking she will watch it eventually). Basically she sees all these tweens having major crushes on Zac Ephron and figures it must be because his character is pushed as the end all be all (she does also know now though that Marika really dislikes Zac because she "hate that messy hair look":rotfl2: ). She was also assuming lots of kissing/heavy petting/etc. I am tryign to convince her to take hte movie home and watch it while her DD is here at the party. Of course, I told her she is welcome to watch it at any time. Personally I love the messages in the film and am thrilled to see something with so many good values being popular with so many kids.

Erik--I really like the yearbook craft idea. I will have to run that by Rio. HE said he doesn't want to do shirts again this year (we've done that a few times:rotfl: )

We did Blue Gator ade with umbrellas for Sharpay coolers:) when we did our HSM2 party for DD, for the cake we used HSM stickers on toothpicks and put them in the cake. A store around her had HSM cups that we gave as gifts and we got tableclothes, plates, cups etc from Wal Mart. Hope its a GREAT party

Oh my goodness I really did not mean to start a row. Let's all please get along--this has been such a wonderful thread in that regard. I really don't think Lois meant to offend, she was playing off MY having said that the nighbors objection to HSM was the boy/girl thing. AQW I am also a homeschooling mom but persoanlly I see the clique thing handled beautifully in HSM. My kids HAVE seen cliques (they pop up at the dance studio and summer camp and all over the place, and their cousins are very cliquiee). I love that this movie's message (as I see it) is that no one should feel limited by their clique, their parents, their teachers or even their own previous perceptions of themselves. The idea is to be true to yourself and respect others who do the same. What confused me about my neighbor is that the objection she has to HSM (which she has never seen) should apply to so many otehr movies who daughter watches on a regular basis (my DD is her DDs babysitter so I do know a lot of what she watches:laughing: )
Erik you are correct that the neighbors have not seen HSM. SHe told me so and I tried to explain (she and I have very similar values so I keep thinking she will watch it eventually). Basically she sees all these tweens having major crushes on Zac Ephron and figures it must be because his character is pushed as the end all be all (she does also know now though that Marika really dislikes Zac because she "hate that messy hair look":rotfl2: ). She was also assuming lots of kissing/heavy petting/etc. I am tryign to convince her to take hte movie home and watch it while her DD is here at the party. Of course, I told her she is welcome to watch it at any time. Personally I love the messages in the film and am thrilled to see something with so many good values being popular with so many kids.

Amen and beautifully said, Hadley. I couldn't agree with you more or have said it any better!!

Also I forgot to congratulate you officially on hosting your gay friend's wedding at your home. I'm so thrilled (and jealous) that your state has made such a big step in the right direction....and your friends are very lucky to have you. Of course you realize taht this means that once New York State gets their act together....if Jason and I can't afford to get married on a Disney boat then I might commandeer your living room myself!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Also, I know there was discussion about who was going to be at Disney before the cruise....and Hadley and Kimberly were right....Jason and I will be checking into Animal Kingdom Lodge 1 Bedroom Villa (our first time staying there since we bought our AKL contract aboard the Magic in May!) on Friday, September 19th. We're definitely doing the Not So Scary Halloween Party during the week and then just hangin out otherwise....we'll be hanging out with Hadley and Sandi, of course....and if i can coax Rob & Chris to come a few days early, too...then with them....but the more the merrier when at Disney, I always say!! I'd love nothing better than to walk up to the Kiliminjaro Safaris and have the CM say to me, "How Many?" and I respond with...."We're just gonna need a whole truck, thanks!" :rotfl:

Ooooh Denise, the Sharpay coolers are a cute idea. I will float that one by Rio. I do know we will have to have virgin pina coladas available by request of the b-day boy. It has nothing to do with HSM, but that's his favourtie drink:rotfl2:

Erik--maybe you couldn't have said it better, but I am sure you could have TYPED it better. Eeegads the typos:lmao: And if/when you and Jason tie the knot we'll host, we'll take a short cruise (but we'd proably have to do back to backs:rotfl: ), gosh we'd fly to Timbuktu to be a part of that.

Hmmm--Double Dip Delight Animal Kingdom Day. I like the sound of that:rolleyes1

Oh my goodness I really did not mean to start a row. Let's all please get along--this has been such a wonderful thread in that regard. I really don't think Lois meant to offend

:grouphug: Lest I be misunderstood, I am not upset or offended. I said I take exception to the *assertion* that was made, not at all that I feel personally attacked by it or harbor ill will in any way. I'm a debater by nature and by training, so taking things personally isn't my modus operandi. ;) I'm all about having a lively discussion, then shaking hands and having a nice frosty beverage together. :thumbsup2

My point, which wasn't particularly well-made, is that there are many reasons why a parent wouldn't want their child to see HSM, and what may be silly or unreasonable to one family is perfectly valid to another. I try not to be in the business of making myself judge and jury of what's appropriate for another person's family. I'm plenty busy running my own household. ;) :laundy:

I don't let my DS watch HSM, and it certainly has nothing to do with not wanting him to see strong female characters, or to instill the idea that women need to be submissive. I don't let him watch it because he doesn't need to be exposed to the whole "clique" mentality - other people dictating who you can and can't like, separating individuals into labeled categories based on their appearance or talents or whatever. :confused3 As a homeschooling parent, that's exactly what I *DON'T* want to expose him to. Yes, I know, they get together in the end with everyone's blessing, but IMO that's not enough to negate the pervasive exposure throughout the movie.

I have no issue with HSM in and of itself - I love to see G-rated movies become successful. :thumbsup2 My 6yo nephew loves HSM, and my DS has the CD and loves it. But I take strong exception to the assertion that any parent who doesn't allow HSM must be some wacko who doesn't want their kids exposed to strong female characters. :sad2:

:grouphug: Lest I be misunderstood, I am not upset or offended. I said I take exception to the *assertion* that was made, not at all that I feel personally attacked by it or harbor ill will in any way. I'm a debater by nature and by training, so taking things personally isn't my modus operandi. ;) I'm all about having a lively discussion, then shaking hands and having a nice frosty beverage together. :thumbsup2

My point, which wasn't particularly well-made, is that there are many reasons why a parent wouldn't want their child to see HSM, and what may be silly or unreasonable to one family is perfectly valid to another. I try not to be in the business of making myself judge and jury of what's appropriate for another person's family. I'm plenty busy running my own household. ;) :laundy:

I am so sorry I did not mean to offend. Lois

Yeeessh! I go away for a few weeks and this is what I come back to?

Good lord, can we talk about something a little more positive, like maybe what we should all drink at the Sail Away Party?

Incidentally, we spent 10 days in Jamaica at the FDR Pebbles resort from Nov. 24th to Dec. 4th and I have to say that this place was absolutely fantastic! The hotel was built specifically for families with kids and includes a vacation nanny for each family. Loads of fun I tells ya'...

Erik, you and Jason should head up to the Great White North for your nuptials. Sir Elton did it, and he even had the good sense to marry a Canadian ;)

Yeeessh! I go away for a few weeks and this is what I come back to?

Good lord, can we talk about something a little more positive, like maybe what we should all drink at the Sail Away Party?

Incidentally, we spent 10 days in Jamaica at the FDR Pebbles resort from Nov. 24th to Dec. 4th and I have to say that this place was absolutely fantastic! The hotel was built specifically for families with kids and includes a vacation nanny for each family. Loads of fun I tells ya'...

Erik, you and Jason should head up to the Great White North for your nuptials. Sir Elton did it, and he even had the good sense to marry a Canadian ;)

I know we can do it in Toronto....BUT it's not legal in NY State anyway (thanks to DoMA) because we don't legally recognize same-sex legal marriages even from other states (unless you're a state employee and then I think they DID create an exception for it or something)...so we can't run off to Canada and Massachusetts to tie the knot! So we're left to just keep doing lots of political advocacy here at home (which I enjoy, as you might imagine, anyway....:lmao: ) until they support true equality here. I'm optimistic it's not far off, though. The governor introduced a bill to legalize our marriages last session and it passed the State Assembly, but didn't make it to a vote in the Senate in time...so they'll retry it again. If worst comes to worst maybe it'll end up on the ballot sometime soon and there's a lot of data to suggest that if we get to vote on it we might actually pass it...so we'll see!! :thumbsup2

If worst comes to worst maybe it'll end up on the ballot sometime soon and there's a lot of data to suggest that if we get to vote on it we might actually pass it...so we'll see!! :thumbsup2

That would be lovely!

Brandie

Heya, I just pulled up the national news... Who is getting hit by the snowmaker today? Ya'll ready for it? *hope*

I gotta get out in the car this afternoon, and we still have a bit of snow and ice. Nothing like what you guys have, but I still dread it.

*wave*
Catch you guys later.

Brandie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter