Dork doesn't want to get wet on Splash!

I don't wear a poncho on Splash Mountain, but I do for Kali, because you can definitely get drenched on that one. I've seen comments on other threads from people who don't understand why someone would want to get on a ride where you can get wet but then wear a poncho, but the way I look at it is I think it's fun to get wet on the ride but then get off, take off the poncho and be totally dry. ;)

even with a poncho on Kali, I still get soaked!!! :lmao: seems to go under my poncho and onto my shorts.. my top stays dry, but not my bottom on there!!! :scared1: it never fails!

Can I hijack the thread and ask about Kali River Rapids? I've never rode it, for fear of being soaked, because I too, hate to walk around wet all day. How does everyone feel about Kali? Is it worth it to get soaked? Do you avoid it all together, or do you wear the dreaded poncho?

Now that one has gotten me big time. My clothing dried fairly quickly, but I couldn't figure out why they had the foot rest on it. Now I know. If you don't your shoes will get soaked as well. The cloth dries fast but the shoes squish all day long.

Oh, snap... I forgot all about the shoes... and the camera, and the bag... I may have to think about this. :) Thanks!

I usually carry plastic baggies in my bag to hold my items that cannot get wet. I carry a nylon backpack as well (to dry fast). I put my phone, camera, room keys, credit card and money into the baggies. I double the baggies on the camera and phone's.. this usually works well. I have never had them wet..

Love both Splash and Kali, but no one in my family wants to sit next to me as I am the water magnet! Wear a poncho on both rides, and put your feet up on Kali.

To the OP: For Splash Mountain, wrap the poncho around your waist. You should be fine for the most part. To battle the rash/chafing, I apply some Gold Bond powder generously before heading out to the park. Works like a charm.

For Kali River Rapids, however, I recommend ... a complete change of clothes. I'd literally change into a swimsuit or very light shorts and shirt for the ride, then change when you get off. Best of both worlds. And yes, don't bring ANYTHING onto the ride that you care about. Personally, I keep all my electronics in a ziplock bag as well, since you can't really trust the humidity either, but bringing them on a ride known to drench EVERYTHING is just asking for trouble.

I like to ride in the rain, then it just dosen't matter if you get sparyed, splashed or drenched.:laughing:

Funny story ... my first trip to WDW with my ex, we were wandering around Hollywood Studios when there was a little cloudburst. Everyone starts running for awnings, buying ponchos like they were being rationed, generally acting kind of crazy. We were from Seattle, so we just traipsed down the middle of the street laughing at the fools. What's a little rain?

What everyone knew that we didn't is that because of the humidity, you may only get a little wet, but you will NEVER dry out. We were soggy the rest of the day. Lesson learned. :)

I am that nerd that refuses to walk around with a wet backside all day. Love Splash, cool with the plunge and fine with the small waterfall at the end...The one that always seems to get me!!! But the canons that shoot you just as you are going up the hill, when the other logs are taking the plunge, those kill me! Not to mention how badly they soak the logs. So pleasant for when you first sit down, right? We are going to WDW in early November, and I was wondering if anyone knew when they turn those awful canons off on Splash. Is it a time of year? Is it a certain temp? My family refuses to go on with me if I'm wearing a poncho :confused3

I rode Splash Mountain several times in July and I was surprised they didn't have the water cannons going. My husband is like you and doesn't like walking around wet all day but Splash is one of his favorite rides...he was very happy the cannons were off. I would imagine that if they didn't have them running in July they probably wouldn't be on in November...you should be safe.

Oh, snap... I forgot all about the shoes... and the camera, and the bag... I may have to think about this. :) Thanks!

I bring a white kitchen garbage bag and toss everything in. I even bring a pair of cheapo flip flops to put on my feet while riding.

And if you want to stay dry, don't ride with me. My husband and son rode Splash Mountain 3 times in a row and neither of them got more than a few drips. I ride with my son and the whole log gets soaked. Ooops.

Make Kali River Rapids your last ride of the day, then you can go back to the resort and change into dry clothes.

I cannot count the number of times I have ridden Splash Mtn. Really, it has been a lot. I have never had more than 7 or 8 drops of water on my shirt and never a wet backside, ever after the ride. What are you folks doing? Jumping out of the log?:confused3
The past 2 times Ive ridden Splash Mountain, I've gotten fairly wet. Not as wet as on Kali, but wet. Ive tsken to bringing a change of clothes sometimes for Kali- i just tough it out for Splash.

I bring a white kitchen garbage bag and toss everything in. I even bring a pair of cheapo flip flops to put on my feet while riding.

And if you want to stay dry, don't ride with me. My husband and son rode Splash Mountain 3 times in a row and neither of them got more than a few drips. I ride with my son and the whole log gets soaked. Ooops.

I am also cursed on Splash. I only go on it if it is the last thing we are doing because I get soaked every time. I have read if you sit on the left in the back you won't get as wet. I GOT SOOOO WET! As for Kali I rode it 2 times and I will never ride it again. 2nd time I was with girls who had never been before and I wasn't gonna go but they begged me. Should have stood my ground.:laughing:

I remember back when the water cannon was on, I practically never got wet, only a couple of "unlucky" times when we the cannon did hit us.

On this past visit, the cannon was off of course, but my wife and I got soaked at the end of the big drop every single time! I don't remember ever getting wet in the big drop before...maybe we had just been lucky though. :confused3

I am that nerd that refuses to walk around with a wet backside all day. ....

My family refuses to go on with me if I'm wearing a poncho :confused3

Well, I find the backside to be the most difficult to keep dry, even with a poncho. It takes care and grace to get into the log AND keep the poncho securely on your rear. If you put the poncho on while on the ride, forget that part.

Silly family.

I cannot count the number of times I have ridden Splash Mtn. Really, it has been a lot. I have never had more than 7 or 8 drops of water on my shirt and never a wet backside, ever after the ride. What are you folks doing? Jumping out of the log?:confused3

That was my cousin and her husband, too. Until they rode with us. DRENCHED!

Can I hijack the thread and ask about Kali River Rapids? I've never rode it, for fear of being soaked, because I too, hate to walk around wet all day. How does everyone feel about Kali? Is it worth it to get soaked? Do you avoid it all together, or do you wear the dreaded poncho?

Love the poncho for Kali (and it's longer CA counterpart Grizzly). The underside of the legs can get wet though, b/c of splashing up. (this is also a problem I found on Splash as well, when there is water in the log sloshing around) We got really good ponchos, ones to keep made of nylon from the travel store at ricksteves.com, and those were AWESOME for Kali.

...the way I look at it is I think it's fun to get wet on the ride but then get off, take off the poncho and be totally dry. ;)

That's how I feel, too. All the anticipation of getting hit with water, the coldness of it as well (especially with our nice nylon ponchos vs thick plastic that insulate you a bit better), but none of the longlasting ramifications.

Except for the parts that accidentally got uncovered, LOL. On Kali's counterpart in CA, water tends to go straight down my shirt, which is quite shocking when not expecting it!

To the OP: For Splash Mountain, wrap the poncho around your waist. You should be fine for the most part. To battle the rash/chafing, I apply some Gold Bond powder generously before heading out to the park. Works like a charm.

:)

My DH single handedly supports the Gold Bond Corporation. :laughing:

I suggest wearing the poncho and bring a hand towel in your backpack to wipe any wet parts of you after the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter