Doorway to Dreams - NY - worth a visit?

Dreaming of Main St

Earning My Ears
We are seriously thinking about buying BLT points. We are likely to buy resale, but we're looking at direct incentives too. We were hoping to take a trip to Disney to stay at BLT to check it out in person in the next couple of months, but it looks like that might not work out now. We've done the DVC tour (with the AKV model) before and stayed at BCV. We could drive to the Doorway to Dreams store in NY instead - it would take about 5 hours, but we'd stay overnight near NYC and maybe do a little sightseeing too. Do you think it would be worth the drive to see the BLT model in person?

Thanks!

There are plenty of pictures online. DVCnews.com did a post about a visit to the Schaumburg, IL Doorway to Dreams store.

The article is here.

5 hours each way seems like an awful long way to go, but seeing as how expensive DVC is, it's not a bad idea. That's how we bought into DVC, but it's a heck of a lot closer for us (30 minute drive).

We purchased BLT sight unseen from the Doorway to Dreams store in Schaumburg, IL over the phone. However we had been to WDW many times and stayed in all of the hotel sides of the DVCs (never OKW or SSR) as well as the other deluxe resorts so we really knew the areas and what we liked about each one. We chose BLT because of the monorail access and the longer contract. As ChiSoxKeith mentioned we just looked at the rooms on line as well as other areas of the resort. Although not our personal style we do like the modern decor of BLT. Many do not. 5 hours is a long way to go, however I think that you should be 100% comfortable with your descison. It is a lot of money and a long term commitment not to be sure. If looking at pictures just doesn't do it for you then I say take the drive. It does have a different vibe in person. Although we liked the pictures for us we liked it even more in person and that was good because we had already bought in!

Good Luck with your decision! :goodvibes

Thanks for the link! The pictures I've seen of BLT may end up being enough for me. I do feel confident that we'll like it. I think my nerves are getting the best of me because I felt so confident that we'd like BCV and we didn't.

We have been to the Doorway to Dreams in Roosevelt Field several times. We only live 15 minutes away and it gives us our little Disney fix between trips. It is exactly like being in the BLT rooms and the cast members are very nice. I don't know if I would drive 5 hours though unless you planned on some sightseeing in the city.

We have been to the Doorway to Dreams in Roosevelt Field several times. We only live 15 minutes away and it gives us our little Disney fix between trips. It is exactly like being in the BLT rooms and the cast members are very nice. I don't know if I would drive 5 hours though unless you planned on some sightseeing in the city.

I could have written this myself except I am maybe 5 minutes away, not 15. I stop in often for my Disney fix and to trade pins.
If you can plan a trip to NYC or the LI beaches, then I would stop by if it would make you more confident, however, I wouldn't make a trip just for that.

I don't know if they are still doing it, but occasionally they have special offers at DTD store in Roosevelt Field. A 5 hour drive to come for a weekend would be nice, and possibly save you some money. You can always go see a Disney show on Broadway to get your fix. There is Museum Row on Long Island which is about 5 minutes from Roosevelt Field. Plenty of great restaurants around. I would think it could be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter