Door Magnets

LA PIG

Mouseketeer
I just finished making quite a few magnets for our stateroom doors on the Fantasy. Now, I'm wondering how strong of a magnet I need. If they stick to my refrigerator at home, will they stick to the doors on the Fantasy?
TIA

I just finished making quite a few magnets for our stateroom doors on the Fantasy. Now, I'm wondering how strong of a magnet I need. If they stick to my refrigerator at home, will they stick to the doors on the Fantasy?
TIA

Maybe. If you're asking about Concierge doors, you need stronger than the typical fridge magnet. That's because the concierge doors, while still metal and able to attract magnets, have a wood veneer over it.

For the regular doors, I think the regular fridge type magnet will be fine.

I put 2" magnets in each corner of my photos for them to stick to the doors. Some still fell off or slid down the door. My photos were about 4 x 6 for reference.

Thanks for the replies. They are the doors to the concierge rooms. I used the Staples brand magnetic printer paper. Does anyone have any experience with this and the concierge doors. I guess I can glue magnets to the back, but I'm afraid, as PP said, they will slid down the door.

We used that specific magnetic paper. They didn't stick to the concierge doors at all, we put them on our connecting door for that voyage.

You'll need something stronger. If your door is anywhere near the exterior doors you'll probably have issues with them sliding.

That's what I was afraid of. Any suggestions on what type of magnet will work on those doors? Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm not exactly sure if the rooms are located by exterior doors. The cabin numbers are 12504 and 12522.
Thanks for all the help!

The doors (except concierge) are metal but with a coat of paint. As the ship gets older, the door is painted over and over.

You should be fine with Avery magnetic paper to print your magnets. They won't stick as good as on a fridge, but they'll still stick.

The classic ships is another story as they have more coats of paints. In fact, I expect that after the Magic goes thru it's dry dock (and next year the wonder), you won't be able to use magnets. This past Feb. on the wonder, the magnets barely held, whereas last year on the Dream, they did a good job holding.

Unless DCL starts using paint with metal shavings on it, or do an actual paint stripping job, we won't be able to use magnets in the coming years.

That's what I was afraid of. Any suggestions on what type of magnet will work on those doors? Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm not exactly sure if the rooms are located by exterior doors. The cabin numbers are 12504 and 12522.
Thanks for all the help!

The magnets I bought were neodymium magnets, they are small but really strong. You can get them on Amazon. I printed my designs on the magnetic paper and then just put 3-4 of the strong magnets on the door and placed my paper magnetic over them. That worked fine. Make sure you buy enough to cover the ends of your design so that they don't fall off or get knocked off. Also be careful packing them in your luggage, make sure they are not near anything electronic. I think that is why they pack them in these tubes so that they reduce the effect they can have on things around them. Also, if they are really strong and get stuck together they are really hard to pry apart.

Susan

Well 12504 is all the way at the other end of the hallway from the exterior doors. 12522 is in the "maybe" zone for wind/sliding.

We now have some of those neodymium magnets and used them on our last Wonder voyage. Not my favorite look but they stuck. :confused3

Depends on the door. On the Magic in Feb our door had a plastic shrink wrap type covering on it? They must have got tired of repainting. The magnetic paper stick ok, but they did slide and fall off occasionally.

Thanks for all the help!

I know that this is a UK site - Link - but something like these would be suitable, they're of the neodymium type mentioned above

We just use magnetic tape, it's always been fine. We have a strip across the top and bottom then a little extra in the middle of each laminated sheet. We get it from EBay.

They need to be strong magnets. We were on deck 11 last year on Fantasy and those are the same doors you will have in deck 12. There is a wood-looking laminate on those doors and magnetic tape won't work. I had heard about this before going and carried some larger magnets I got at a hobby store. They were about the size of a quarter and about 1/4 inch thick. I think they came in a pack of 16. They had peel and stick backing, so I peeled about 3 or 4 for each decoration and stuck them to the back if the decorations and they stuck to the doors. The concierge team kept coming by and showing them to people because they said so many other people could not get their magnets to stay on the concierge doors.

It would be helpful that any future replies on this thread realize we are discussing the concierge doors. The veneer over the metal door means you need much stronger magnets than the standard doors.

I had about 20 on our last cruise and left sticky notes also with magnets on them with a pen got alot of nice notes left for us really sweet. I used a roll of magnets I got at a hobby store like Michaels and they worked great. Left no marks. In the end I traded some and left them for others by sticking them to thier doors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter