Door magnets

DVC_Corrys

DIS Veteran
Hello,

What is the best way to make/print door magnets? I tried some stuff on the last cruise and they wouldn't stay flat.

Thanks

I print out my pics, laminate them since I reuse them each cruise and then buy a roll of magnets and cut them to size and tape them on the back. The self adhesive isn't strong enough. My friend didn't use tape and most of her stuff fell apart when she opened the cabin door and the balcony door was open at the same time....

I also printed, laminated and attached magnets:thumbsup2. My hints (mostly gathered on the DIS) are: cut out your design before laminating, then cut around the design leaving a small clear plastic border; be generous with the magnets (I used 2-4 squares on each design); bring extra magnets and tape or glue "just in case"!:flower3:

Just to clarify....the tape and glue are to be used to attached the magnets to the design...not to attached the design to the door. Only magnets are allowed on the doors....no adhesives of any type can be used to attached your creations to the cabin doors.

MJ

We just buy the magnetic sheets of paper. It is probably a bit more expensive but you just print them and cut them out and they will stand up to many trips! They do print so much more vibrant though on the glossy paper verses the matte or semi-gloss but I suppose that is personal preference :-)

It's easiest to buy the magnet sheets. I got mine from Staples and they have packages of 4
8 1/2X11
sheets for $9.99 right now.

We use magnetic sheets from Office Depot. A little more expensive than printing, laminating, and adding a magnetic strip. But I love the finished look. And the hold up really well. I still use the ones I made from our first cruise in 2010. If you make them the other way, it's important to laminate. I didn't laminate our Mickey ears from our first cruise and the edges "curled" from the humidity.

I also used the magnetic sheets from Staples and printed the images like photos. They came out great. I will post a picture of my door when I return

I printed mine as 5X7's at Costco, cut them out and laminated them on my Purple Cow laminator(also from Costco--$19.99). And then used the business card magnets(a pack at staples) and cut thsoe in half and then stuck it on the back. They worked PERFECT!!

Hello,

What is the best way to make/print door magnets? I tried some stuff on the last cruise and they wouldn't stay flat.

Thanks

Here is what I did, I got the pic printed out on a thick paper, I got the kinkos people to cut and laminate it for me and then I added the adhesive strips on the back. Worked like a wonder.

I bought the magnetic printer paper but my old printer keeps jamming when it first begins to pull it in to print. So I am going with plan B- printing on regular paper, taking to laminate and then attaching magnets on the back. I will just cut up the magnetic paper and attach it to my laminated print outs.

I bought Avery brand magnetic paper from OfficeMax , It WAS NOT strong enough to hold on the outside door on the Wonder in June, they looked great on the back of the door though ( inside the stateroom); however whatever brand I bought 3 years ago for my Mickey ears around the stateroom number DID work. I noticed it was much thicker than what I did this year.
also my ports of call magnets I made with magnets stuck to the back worked most of the trip. a few times we returned with them stuck in our FE, on the same days my parents would come off too :confused3

mainstreet1997 said:
1) Print pictures on card stock
2) Laminate
3) Stick magnets on the back

I like:

1) Upload pics to print at store (we use Target via Shutterfly)

2) Pick up prints at store

3) Stick to magnetic roll (bought with coupon at Michaels

Saves printer ink, VERY cost effective, looks beautiful, holds up on door & all of our magnets are still on our 2nd fridge!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm doing mine in a different, less expensive way. I'm worried the magnets will 'walk away' from our door so I don't want to invest too much money on them.

I'm using old 'ugly' fridge magnets (which I have plenty of). Then using Mod Podge to paste my Disney picture over old magnet. I won't be as upset if they go missing.

An easy idea for anyone who has Mod Podge around and old out dated magnets.

1) Print pictures on card stock
2) Laminate
3) Stick magnets on the back

We did something similar to this. I made medium sized Mickey heads out of colored cardstock and then added stickers to it before I laminated them (before my mom laminated them :)) Added a strip of heavy duty magnet and there ya go. My mom even added some 3D stickers to her MH after she laminated it.

All good info. I'm starting to think abput magnets for August 2013, so this is all good stuff! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter