• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

door locks

nanb189

Earning My Ears
My son and his family will be traveling with us in August and he is concerned that his 8 year old will be able to open the cabin door and go exploring on his own.

Is there an extra lock high enough on the door that he will not be able to access or has anyone had any experience with portable travel door locks?

Thanks!
Nancy

If I am recalling correctly, the locks are similar to those in a regular hotel room. They are not high on the door. I don't have any experience with portable locks. If you have a veranda, that lock is up higher.

There isn't any special child-proof lock on the cabin door. However the cabin is pretty small and its pretty easy to monitor a child so that they wouldn't go off without you.

And the door will close loudly if you don't stop it, so I would think you would be quickly alerted if a child went out alone.

If the child is a night-time wanderer, maybe they could put some suitcases and such in the way. It's a fairly narrow space at the door and anything in the way would need to be moved to open the door. Hopefully what would wake the parents to alert them to the situation before he got out. But keep in mind that you are also hindering your own exit in the case of emergency (not that it's likely - wandering kid is more likely than middle-of-the-night evacuation).

Enjoy your cruise!

We worried about it with our daughter. We actually moved the small table or whatever it is in the spot by the bed so she would have to crawl over the bed to get to the door. You could leave the closet and bathroom doors open and that way you would be alerted by those before he got to the outside door. He would have to shut them o open the stateroom door.

There are a number of portable door alarms available for purchase (under $20). Just do an internet search; it may be worth buying one for peace of mind.

There are a number of portable door alarms available for purchase (under $20). Just do an internet search; it may be worth buying one for peace of mind.

$1 in dollar tree.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter