Dont you hate it when...

I don't have kids, but I consider it my personal mission to pass Disney on to my 3 nieces and my nephew so they are properly Disney-fied and that they all believe in pixie dust and magic. I have taken them each on their own trip to Disney with Auntie Lisa and Christmas and birthday gifts always include something Disney. My one nieces is currently VERY into the fairies and my older niece loves Disney and of course Hannah Montana. My nephew is five and LOVES Mickey and has a big time crush on Ariel. In October I am taking them all to Disney again together. I can't even imagine it any other way. :goodvibes

What an interesting topic! Be sure to post it.

I would, but its gonna be 3000 words long. Who really wants to read 3000 words on Disboards!! :rotfl:

If there is popular demand (and i get a high enough grade, im not showing you guys any trash!) i will figure out a way of posting it.

I don't have kids, but I consider it my personal mission to pass Disney on to my 3 nieces and my nephew so they are properly Disney-fied and that they all believe in pixie dust and magic. I have taken them each on their own trip to Disney with Auntie Lisa and Christmas and birthday gifts always include something Disney. My one nieces is currently VERY into the fairies and my older niece loves Disney and of course Hannah Montana. My nephew is five and LOVES Mickey and has a big time crush on Ariel. In October I am taking them all to Disney again together. I can't even imagine it any other way. :goodvibes

That's me with my goddaughter. I personally gave her my VHS tapes of Toy Story and anything else I could spare her. She even took my Little Mermaid for months before it was on DVD. Later she asked me "Do you have this movie?" I replied, "yea, baby, you have mine." "oh." I consider myself that child's cultural director (I even got her to enjoy Yellow Submarine! I do good work!)

I KNOW, I KNOW!!! I totally agree! What can I say? I am certain they must know of Mickey, but he never caught on with them I guess? Not to mention that there are, what---1,000 other Disney characters to enjoy if Mickey ain't connecting w/ ya? She said her kids would be more into Universal characters but not Disney characters...at all. Thanks for posting---they are really missing out, huh! I can't imagine raising kids without Disney!!!!!!
Thank you! I've said similar things on another Disney board and I basically got jumped on! I think I'll stick to Disboards, personally!

And I'm sorry, if you're kid prefers Universal characters to Disney.........you've failed as a parent. My uncle can't stand Disney really, but he'll go for my goddaughter.

I am so glad to learn I am not alone. My SIL jumped on my last nerve yesterday so I finally told her to pi$$ off. I for the first time laid her out. So now I feel better and hopefully have put all this behind us. She said she gets sick and doesnt like amusement parks. I told her it means more to us than just rides and we love spending time there. I also reminded her that her nephew (our son) is here because of a particular Disney trip when we decided to have a child after 12 years of marriage and swearing we were not having kids. Disney changed our minds and I guess the heavens and earth aligned and I came home pregnant. So that only sealed our bond with the mouse. Now she gets my end and I guess I will have to respect her end. :rotfl: Even if I dont understand people like her.

My SIL jumped on my last nerve yesterday so I finally told her to pi$$ off.

Congratulations on putting her in her place. It's a shame that it sometimes has to come to that to shut these ignorant morons up.

I'm still working on a snappy response to the stupid questions. For now, all I can do is try to avoid them altogether...

When someone asks me what we're doing for vacation, I tell them "We're staying with some friends in Florida" That's usually enough.

When someone asks me what we're doing for vacation, I tell them "We're staying with some friends in Florida" That's usually enough.

Haha, we might have to make some friends in Florida so that we can use this excuse too ;) We get this all the time from people when we go to the DLR and when we say we are dreaming of going back to WDW- they think we are nuts!

We have even considered not telling my husband's family when we go, but then we might come home to police cars and missing posters around town :rotfl:

They went with us on our last trip to the DLR, and we were hoping that they would see why we love it so much, but no such luck.

I had a friend who said that her three young kids would never enjoy Disney because they simply don't know who Mickey Mouse is and that they prefer the "newer, more moderrn characters" and then she said, "We just wouldn't 'get it' at all and my family would be totally bored" was her statement.:confused3

Wow, how sad their kids don't know Mickey. I guess my response to people who go to the beach and lay around would have to be "We just wouldn't 'get it' at all and my family would be totally bored" :laughing:

hi everyone, I'm still reading all the posts but wanted to say, I have the same issue! There are two things I love in this world, disney, and hockey...and whenever I talk about either I get the polite smiles......but I have slowly been turning others into believers! :lmao:

my buddy John has never been to anything disney!! (including his wife and kids!)...but we decided to take a spur of the moment 4 day trip to DL next week! I CANT WAIT! He is excited, but not sure what to expect....I know two weeks from now he will be planning his return visit!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

my buddy John has never been to anything disney!! (including his wife and kids!)...but we decided to take a spur of the moment 4 day trip to DL next week! I CANT WAIT! He is excited, but not sure what to expect....I know two weeks from now he will be planning his return visit!

My cousin has been dying to go to Disney for years, but they don't have children and her husband, who is 15 years older than she is, has never been to Disney, said he's never wanted to go and said he never would. I wish I could describe him, he's an orthodontist and a bit odd...not in a bad way, but just, I don't know, sort of quiet, sort of into himself and rather old fashioned. She finally, finally talked him into it and they went with another couple, long time friends of theirs. They stayed at Grand Floridian and went in early March and HE is already asking her when they are going back!!! He had a fantastic time and loved it. I saw actual pictures of him smiling with Mickey, Donald, Rafiki and Goofy! I seriously couldn't believe it. So believe me, if this guy can be turned into a Disney lover, it can happen to absolutely ANYONE.

You tell someone you are going on vacation and they give you a lecture about wasting your money going to Disney AGAIN.

I am so sick of it that I have literally stopped telling my SIL's that we are going again. I always get the lecture. We are not in debt and can afford a vacation. This is the only vacation we take every year short of going to our beachouse during the summer. I have come to the point of not even telling them but it always slips out in conversation and then I get the lecture.

Does this happen to anyone else? I for the life of me cant understand why they care where we go. I dont even know how to respond anymore with out getting a little snarky back. How would you respond to the lecture?

Sorry to hear that they are making you feel bad about it. Probably more about them than you! I've found that some people are jealous cause they can't talk their families and such into going. That's been my problem as my wife's family now has a family trip every other year...I'm 2 for 2 in selling Disney..I figure, if I gotta be saddled with these people it mind as well be at a place I like to go! :rotfl2:

Really though, my guess is that some of their lecture comes from jealousy, do what makes you happy, they'll get it eventually!

hi everyone, I'm still reading all the posts but wanted to say, I have the same issue! There are two things I love in this world, disney, and hockey...and whenever I talk about either I get the polite smiles......but I have slowly been turning others into believers! :lmao:

Disney and hockey? I think we may be long, lost relatives! I do believe that's the first time I've ever seen that combo together when I didn't write it.

I honestly think it's the state of the world...

People are just so cynical nowadays as a whole, that the magic and pure innocent happiness of Disney just makes people wonder where the catch is or where is the moment where people are brainwashing children with something innappropriate or naughty. I get that from people about Mr. Rodgers, like it has subliminal messages.

That's what bothers me. Why does growing up mean having to prove that what you loved as a child is really some sham?

The one thing I hate is when they say "your going to disney AGAIN????"

like one time is ever enough???

bunch of butts!!!

I also reminded her that her nephew (our son) is here because of a particular Disney trip when we decided to have a child after 12 years of marriage and swearing we were not having kids. Disney changed our minds and I guess the heavens and earth aligned and I came home pregnant.

AWE!!:lovestruc

Everyone I work with and a few of my friends and family do not understand my need to go to Disney so much. Some of my friends just ask me out right when is my next trip.

I spend my own money. I have never charged a penny for my trips. I don't buy fancy clothes or drive a fancy car, just let me have my Disney Vacations.

Sorry to hear that they are making you feel bad about it. Probably more about them than you! I've found that some people are jealous cause they can't talk their families and such into going. That's been my problem as my wife's family now has a family trip every other year...I'm 2 for 2 in selling Disney..I figure, if I gotta be saddled with these people it mind as well be at a place I like to go! :rotfl2:

Really though, my guess is that some of their lecture comes from jealousy, do what makes you happy, they'll get it eventually!

Stroller Boy I have to agree, I think it's more jealousy than anything else.

So many people ask me how can you afford a trip to Orlando every year (or 2x a year). It's honestly not that expensive! (My opinion, if you know how to shop the systems it can be super cheap!)

We don't do a lot of stuff on the weekends. No small weekend trips. Those little 2-3 day get aways can easily cost $500. Skip doing those and you can go some place nice!

My one friend is planning a trip to Disney next year and they are planning on driving down for a 5 night stay at the All Stars. He told me this vacation is going to cost more than all the vacations he's taken, since his honeymoon, combined. Somewhere in the 5k range. I told him, he's doing something wrong, we are planning a 9 night stay at a 2 bedroom villa at OKW, DDP, then a 3 night stay at RPR. That's going to be less than $5k for our half, with airline and spending cash (splitting the OKW stay with inlaws).

So, there's definately some misconceptions about pricing out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter