• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Don't want to wait in lines? Follow us! 10 day Picture Tutorial.

OK, the fam gave me the scoop. On Toy Story Mania I rode with Jack-Jack, Donald rode with McQueen and Boo, Mulan rode with Ariel and the others are photographed. Buzz & Suzy and Charming and Milo.

Whew.

Great writing!!:thumbsup2 I was wondering how much it ran you a night for the Windsor House? If I intruding please excuse me! I looked on line and I didn't see price quotes only email respons. Love you TR we are going in April with 14 people. 5 adults and 9 kids it is going to be intresting but at least the youngest will be 4. So no real babies. Look forward to reading more.popcorn::

Great writing!!:thumbsup2 I was wondering how much it ran you a night for the Windsor House? If I intruding please excuse me! I looked on line and I didn't see price quotes only email respons. Love you TR we are going in April with 14 people. 5 adults and 9 kids it is going to be intresting but at least the youngest will be 4. So no real babies. Look forward to reading more.popcorn::

Hi & thanks! It was around $2100-2200 for the 10 days. That included pool heat & taxes. For our half it worked out to about $110 per night. If we had stayed on site we would have gotten three rooms for the 11 of us. Charming, Buzz, Mulan, and Ariel would have had a room between us, connecting to Suzy & Milo more than likely. Or one of us would have gotten the All Star Music suite. No matter which onsite choice we made, Windsor Hills was cheaper. Throw in Charming getting his own room, an extra play room for the kids, a kitchen, a private pool, and a private laundry and I think it is a bargain.

We spent more on this trip than we normally do. We flew ($800.00 for the 5 of us from Ohio on Airtran), rented a van ($330.00 for the 10 days on Hotwire), got a nice house really close ($1100.00), got water parks & more and hoppers ($1200), and bought any groceries and food we wanted ($700- our $400 rewards card= $300) All told we spent around $4000.00 for our family of five. That includes $84.00 of parking. It's not too bad. And Suzy and Milo spent almost $5000.00 as they didn't have a rewards card and they had an extra airline ticket/park ticket to buy. And extra souveniers.

But I can do it for $2500.00. Drive 14 hours ($250 for gas and Priceline hotel), stay further away towards Clermont ($700.00), no hoppers, no water parks ($800.00), make more meals at home and don't eat any character meals or sit down places ($500.00.)

I will be honest, the extra $1500.00 to fly and hop and be close seemed worth it to me.

I'll also say that last year we went just our family of five and stayed at All Star Sports with free dining and water parks but no hoppers. We did fly but we didn't rent a car. We spent around $3500.00 for that. It was 10 days too. But now that the baby is going to turn two and then three before we go back our options keep getting smaller for cheap on site deals.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you with figures. We are definitely not the luxury types. We always choose quantity of vacations over quality. But we also are getting too old to enjoy as budget as we used to.

Delicious coffee in hand and the children's bellies no longer grumbling, we went to ride the Backlot tour. But when we got there, as previously mentioned, it was closed. We had always known we would split this day as there are a lot of boy things & girl things here that our families needed to do separately. The two things on our list were Little Mermaid and the Animations Studio.

We were to meet back at lunch at the Sci-Fi Dine-In.

So, coffee still in hand, we pushed past Pixar Place. For those of you reading who have not enjoyed going to DHS post Toy Story Mania I just want to remphasize Pixar Place and the horror that it is. Especially trying to push a stroller AND drink coffee at the same time. I nearly spilled my coffee over and over. And the thing that is so crazy is there were no people anywhere else at this point. The streets of New York had been completely empty. But add a Potato Head and carnival games and you have, well, a carnival.

But we did make it through and I didn't spill coffee. It probably wouldn't have mattered anyway as we were all in black shirts.

To the animation studio! I haven't been here since it truly was an animation studio and they were drawing Mulan. I figured once it wasn't an active studio it was pretty boring. And you don't hear very much about it, so if no one is doing it it probably is boring. Wrong. We had such a good time here that when we asked the girls what they wanted to do on their last day at Disney, they chose the Animation Studio. No joke.

The first thing we did was go in and watch the little schpiel. It was an amusing little movie with two big screens and Mushu as your director plus a live CM who talks to Mushu. But I didn't really enjoy it. Because the CM's microphone only worked half the time. Which made watching it rather like trying to hear someone on a cell phone that is losing signal.

"I can hear you loud and clear."
"Oops, can you repeat that? You cut out."
"What did you say?"
"Oh, ok I've got you back."

The children did not seem the least bothered by this and were really into learning about movies. But I was totally and utterly caught up in the CM desperately trying to get his mike to work. It's all I could watch. And, obviously, all I really remember.

But I believe under normal circumstances, this is a cool thing to do. And there is no line at all.

Here he is still blissfully thinking his mike will work:
CIMG3533.jpg

And here he is talking to Mushu with no amplification:
CIMG3534.jpg

And here we are after the movie wandering through the animation hallways and spying our favorite cat:
CIMG3535.jpg

And a super cool look at an animator's desk:
CIMG3536.jpg

And then it was time. The time Mulan had been waiting for. Art class! After the hallway there is a huge open area where you can meet characters. As you are leaving this giant area there is a little seating area on the left that has a screen displaying different characters being drawn and you try to guess which character it is before you can see the whole thing. If you go sit here and wait 5-20 minutes you can go into a classroom that looks like this:
CIMG3537.jpg

We enjoyed guessing the characters and we loved going into the classroom. Donald had volunteered, because he is the best dad/husband EVER!, to take Boo in the Ergo and wait in line to meet Bolt while we took the class. So I LOVED this class as I learned to draw Mickey Mouse with no baby anywhere near me.

Here is our instructor:
CIMG3538.jpg

Yeah, it's a bad photo of her. If I knew her, I wouldn't have posted it cause it's just not nice to post bad photos of people. But I don't know her and it's the only one I have.

So. You sit down at a Mickey shaped drawing table that is lit from the bottom and there is a big piece of paper and a very sharp pencil awaiting you. Then she tells you there are no erasers as we don't have time to erase and you should start by drawing light lines and then darken them once you like them.

Then she starts drawing on her giant board. And taking you through drawing Mickey step by step. This lady was SOOOOO amazing. In addition to teaching us to draw she talked the whole time about the history of Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney and his dreams and life. She talked about the Disney movies she had worked on and what that was like. She told us that when she draws Mickey she talks to herself and says things like, "I am a happy Mickey, a joyful Mickey. So silly. And friendly." Nice things. And when she is assigned to villains she uses words like, "Ugly and hateful. I am angry, I hate my life. I hate you." And that just like acting, animators gear themselves up to be the character and it comes out onto the paper.

I loved her. And I loved my Mickey that I drew. I still have the papers but they are in my scrapbooking room far away and I don't want to get up and photo them & upload them. Maybe later.

Bottom line, if you like to draw, this is awesome.

As we were leaving my phone rang. Donald was three people from the front. Yippee! By the time we got there we simply hopped under the rope around the actual characters and received our hugs.

Wanna know how I felt about this? :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I'm not normally a dog person but I absolutely fell in love with this giant Bolt. He was INCREDIBLY fluffy. I mean, really, really fluffy. I had to keep reminding myself it was a person as I just wanted to take this giant, fluffy dog home with me. But his family probably would have missed him.

Here I am:
image263.jpg

And here is how Boo felt about the giant dog:
image245.jpg

Yeah, she's sobbing.

And here are the girls receiving love from a not so fluffy but very cute Mittens:
image249.jpg

And their turn with my friend:
CIMG3542.jpg

And all of us together:
CIMG3545.jpg

See how Bolt and I bonded? Yup. We're best friends now. Hopefully you readers have seen this movie. You have, right? It's great. Really great. I thought it would be a dog movie which I dislike. But it was a travelling across the US movie. Which I love. And an action flick which isn't too shabby either.

And I love Bolt. The real, fluffy Bolt who lives at DHS.

And then, it was time to eat lunch. Just like that. We went out to the strollers and I had to use the potty. And I dumped the rest of my coffee as it was now gross and cold (yes, I did TRY to have a drink.) And we happily wandered off to the Sci-Fi.

But for that, you will have to wait. As Suzy is going to tell you how her hour away from us went and what they ended up doing. And you really need that before we're all back together, ya know?

Could your TR be any better? I think not. Lovin' every minute. Keep up the good work!

You are getting so close to your trip, how excited are you? Maybe I'll be done by the time you leave & I can live vicariously through you guys for a month or two as you write your TR!

I'm so excited for our trip (11 days!!), I can't get off these boards! My tush is starting to go numb... :rotfl:

Went to Target today and got a park-perfect little sling backpack (no more big-a$$ diaper bag for me, youngest is now 4!) and a few other trip essentials (pop-up hamper, over-door organizer, Lysol, etc.). I'm in that phase where I'm panicking a little bit and going over and over my best-laid plans and 2nd guessing everything. Like I'm now trying to figure out how I can fit in that cool Animation classroom @ DHS! I have to remember to go with the flow! OMG, I feel my heart rate rising. Anyone have a brown paper bag I can breathe into? :lmao:

I am looking forward to tackling my first-ever TR when I return! I don't want yours to end, it's too fun... :goodvibes

I'm loving your trip report! LOVING IT! I eagerly await each new installment.

What a cute bunch you all are :lovestruc

I'm so excited for our trip (11 days!!), I can't get off these boards! My tush is starting to go numb... :rotfl:

Went to Target today and got a park-perfect little sling backpack (no more big-a$$ diaper bag for me, youngest is now 4!) and a few other trip essentials (pop-up hamper, over-door organizer, Lysol, etc.). I'm in that phase where I'm panicking a little bit and going over and over my best-laid plans and 2nd guessing everything. Like I'm now trying to figure out how I can fit in that cool Animation classroom @ DHS! I have to remember to go with the flow! OMG, I feel my heart rate rising. Anyone have a brown paper bag I can breathe into? :lmao:

I am looking forward to tackling my first-ever TR when I return! I don't want yours to end, it's too fun... :goodvibes

I can't wait to read the rest of your TR. I am counting down the days til our trip!

You lucky ducks who will be leaving soon! When I am packing and preparing I always wonder if it will be worth all the bother that it is to get a family ready to vacation. But it always is worth it.

I'll try to get a bunch more done before you leave!

I'm loving your trip report! LOVING IT! I eagerly await each new installment.

What a cute bunch you all are :lovestruc

Thanks! We try to be cute but we don't always pull it off.

Suzy & I are officially getting back onto our WW points counting tomorrow so we will be working especially hard at getting cuter. But be prepared. I may be grumpy! :lmao:

When we all went to the Backlot Tour and found it still not running it was between 10 and 10:30am. The next thing we had on our "must do" list was Indiana Jones. McQueen is a HUGE Indy fan so he had been waiting for this for months. But, being the true Disney type A planner that I am, I convinced my family that we could squeeze in The Great Movie Ride before 11:00.:upsidedow So we dashed over there trying not to plow too many people over with our strollers;). There was quite a line but it moves quickly and my kids are huge movie lovers so they enjoyed the old trailers.

On a side note I was uneasy in this line because the last time we were there a little boy had vomited standing in line behind us and later that night Charming got the 24hr stomach bug:sad1: So I was praying the whole time that no one would be sick that night.

Finally we got loaded onto the ride and took off. I had warned McQueen that we would be hijacked and the guns were not real so he was on the look out. I was disappointed with our CM. She was on the montone side so it wasn't my favorite time riding but the kids liked it. About half way through the ride I started to realize that we may not make the 11:00 Indiana Jones show. I kept checking my watch, wondering how many more rooms we had to go through and let me tell you, this ride is LONG when you're in a hurry.:confused3

We stepped off our ride at exactly 11:00am:sad2: Earlier Perla hinted at McQueen's anger issues and I was dreading telling him we'd have to go to Plan B. True to form he melted down:mad: . I assured him that we would go to the very next showing which was at 2:00pm. This would be perfect because we had ADRs at Sci-Fi at 12:20 and that was right across the street and on and on I explained. Well, when McQueen has a fit there is too much smoke coming out of his ears so he can't hear too well. I had to think of something quick. So we decided to go to the Bug's Life playground while we regrouped. The kids had a blast here. Sometimes we Type A planners hate to "waste time" doing stuff like this but I always learn that it really is good for the kids to just have some time to play every once in a while.
100_0202.jpg

100_0205-1.jpg

100_0201.jpg

Don't they look like they're having fun? Jack Jack especially liked to be able to run around. This was the first day he was feeling like his normal self after his illness. One note of caution though, I spent all my time looking for my kids. For some reason the lay out of this place makes it impossible to keep track of them. Of course, I do have 4 little boys running around and they were all wearing black which made them just magically vanish among the oversized grass and canisters of film.:laughing: Oh well, fortunately there's only one exit so I decided it I would just stand around there to make sure no one escaped. We played here for about 30 to 40 minutes until it was time to check back in with the rest of the group and meet up at Sci-Fi.

Perla can start us off with our Drive-in experience.......

subbing.... actually I subbed in three days ago, but having two little darling boys of my own it took me this long to catch up ;)

LOVING this TR. You both are so funny and clever.

I want to know more about the school bread... I know out of all the wonderful things you talked about I'm asking about school bread. Well I'm asking because I read about it in a ptr and have no clue what it is really or where to find it.

btw, your kids are just darling

New subscriber here! I've been reading your TR for a couple of days and finally caught up. Really enjoying it, and looking forward to more!

subbing.... actually I subbed in three days ago, but having two little darling boys of my own it took me this long to catch up ;)

LOVING this TR. You both are so funny and clever.

I want to know more about the school bread... I know out of all the wonderful things you talked about I'm asking about school bread. Well I'm asking because I read about it in a ptr and have no clue what it is really or where to find it.

btw, your kids are just darling

I :love: being called Clever. Love it. How old are your boys?

Ah, school bread. The breakfast of champions, the snack of the smart. It is in Norway in the bakery called Kringla something. In there it is spelled Skool Bread I believe. Last year when I ordered it I asked the girl how you say it in Norwegian and she said, "School Bread." :rotfl:

What it is, is a donut type dough, a little sweet but mostly fluffy. It's filled with a Bavarian Cream type of filling and topped with sweetened coconut. I discovered it last year on someone else's TR and HAD to have some. One bite and I was hooked for life. They changed it a little this year but it was equally delish.

Hold on, let me find a photo from last year...

OK, here it is but it is a terrible photo:

This year I believe the frosting stuff was a little less confectionary sugary and more custardy and there was a little less of it. I've heard people complaining about it but I liked this year's better because it was a bit less sweet. I didn't take a photo though. I mean really, do I need a photo of a coconut donut? Obviously I should have since I had to go back to last year to pull a photo! :lmao:

Norway. Be there or be square.

On a total side note... I got a 40% off code for Disney today. My heart was ripped to bits since we aren't going this year.

Donald & I already had a discussion about combining a beach trip with a 5 day Disney trip which we could buy Deluxe Dining. But then he brought me to my senses. "No!" says he, "Remember? We want to sit on a beach and have drinks with umbrellas in them brought to us! We shall have drinks on the beach!" OK, well he doesn't really talk like that, but you get the idea.

Still.... 40% off. Maybe I could try out the Music Suites. Or, shocking to even SAY this out loud, Animal Kingdom Lodge. Or Wilderness Lodge. 40% off. We could drive through the night and just do 5 days and still have 7 at the beach.

Oh dear. Those Disney advertising people know what they are doing.

So, we were to meet at the Sci-Fi for lunch. We were really looking forward to eating here, especially Suzy as she had had a reservation on a previous trip and when she went to check-in they had no recollection of her and she had no ressie number. So they didn’t get eat here. Talk about disappointment.

So we checked in. The actual check-in people here were a bit snooty :snooty: and irritated me. But the servers and other workers here were great. Here is pin trading:

CIMG3546.jpg

We sat outside while we waited for our tables. I think it was about 15 minutes of waiting. I went to the restroom again. Yes, I KNOW I had already gone at the Animation Studios but I had to go again. OK? Nosy people. I went after my meal too, just FYI. I guess the coffee and water I was sucking down just went right through me. And one of these times I change the baby. The bathroom here is shared with a CS place next door and it was a tiny bit weird.

So we sat right outside and amused ourselves by taking photos of the kids. My favorite is our classic OHIO pose. If you live in OHIO you should do this on every vacation at least once. It is an important photo.

100_0207.jpg

And then we got taken to our cars. We had two cars and you can pull highchairs right up to them. I was very glad as I had been nervous that we would be banished to the back even though the CM had assured me when I made my ADR that we could have a car.

The theming of this restaurant is top notch and I loved it. They were very thorough in designing it.

Car & highchair:
100_0222.jpg

Facing the screen:
100_0221.jpg

CIMG3547.jpg

See Boo's little head? Yeah, that's where she sat. NOT in her highchair.
CIMG3549.jpg

I had read on here that you should stick to burgers here and have a milkshake for sure. So I told Donald this and we both ordered burgers and he also got an Oreo milkshake. He loved his milkshake and was happily enjoying it while watching the fun B movies.

CIMG3554.jpg

It was at this point that Boo was having an absolute fit. So I took the tray off her highchair and tried to sit it on our very narrow table while I dealt with her majesty Queen Squirms-a-lot. Guess what? This was a horrible plan as at some point during the struggle the tray hit Donald’s milkshake and dumped it all over him.

So now let’s talk about maturity. Donald, like McQueen, in the past has had anger management issues and can both blow up and be passive aggressive. Especially when wet while in normal clothing. Especially on vacation. So I was SUPER nervous about him being not only wet, but also sticky. Our day most certainly was ruined.

He couldn’t leap up as he was stuck in a car. So we slid through the mess. Then he went to the bathroom and cleaned himself up while the server cleaned the car and Boo ran around like some kind of maniac.

He came back, slid in, put Boo between us and continued our dinner. In silence. Oh dear. So I asked him, “Are you going to be cranky?” And he grudgingly said, “No.” Our food arrived and he didn’t like his burger and said it was dry. And Boo was jumping on the seat between us and causing total mayhem. I loved my meal. And loved the atmosphere and movies. And just tried to ignore everything to the right of me. Please don’t let this ruin our day.

Here is what was able to distract us:
CIMG3552.jpg

Fortunately, Donald is now a mature adult. And once we were out of the situation, (and he had dried out) he was completely fine and in no way cranky. Thank goodness.

Here is Donald's burger. It arrived while he was trying to get unsticky in the bathroom. You can see his now empty milkshake glass in the background.
CIMG3556.jpg

But we need to try out this place again once Boo is older. This is a great place for kids. But babies…. Not so sure. It is good because no one even noticed the commotion we were causing as it is large and noisy. And they are all watching TV. But unless you have a baby who likes to just sit and eat quietly, they will be all over you in a tiny little booth. With a tiny, little table.

So, we paid, everyone used the facilities, and we were off.

We broke into groups. McQueen and his group went to see the 2:00 Indiana Jones. Boo & I broke off by ourselves. And Donald took Mulan and Ariel.

Donald and the big girls went to the Backlot Tour which was now open. There was no line at all, they just quickly walked through the props and walked straight on a waiting tram. It was Mulan’s first time as she had gone with me to Playhouse Disney the year before and she loved it. Ariel was on the get soaked side and got soaked. So then she and Donald matched. And always they love the props room afterwards.

DSCN2995.jpg

DSCN2997.jpg

They then went to the Little Mermaid. It truly is Mulan’s favorite thing. She just loves it. Ariel is her favorite princess and to see the show just is so wonderful. So on this trip she got to meet her first thing and then see the show. She says that Ariel just lights up the stage. Too cute. They didn’t have to wait for this either as the doors had just opened as they walked in so they were thrilled.

As they were doing those two things, I was taking Boo to Playhouse Disney. The show didn’t start for awhile and though lots of people were already in line, I knew I had plenty of time. So I stood in line to meet the Little Einsteins. Yes, I realize Boo hates the characters. But she LOVES the Little Einsteins and she kept pointing and yelping and wanting to go over there. So I thought this might be the time when her desire to love the characters was stronger than her fear.

We stood in line for about 10 minutes and the entire time she was pointing and dancing and sooooo excited.

We didn't get to meet these characters as they were just leaving. But Boo got to wave to them:

CIMG3557.jpg

I got out all my stuff, the Photopass card, etc. The photographer thought her excitement was so cute he took a photo while we were still in line.

image268.jpg

I then picked up Boo and prepared myself for whatever was about to happen.

June approached first. She smiled and gave a shy wave. I took a slow step forward. June took my book and started to sign it. Boo was still really excited.
image271.jpg

Then Quincy took a slow step forward. He signed the book. So far, so good. And then, it happened. Quincy touched her. That giant, giant Einstein TOUCHED her! It was all over. You can kind of see her crying in this photo. She went all the way crazy and they threw the autograph book and Photopass card at me and we quickly escaped. I think Boo may have traumatized Quincy. See him biting his finger?

image272.jpg

OK, I’ll leave you there before the actual show as I need to start my day and I think that might be my photo limit per post.

I’ll post again today as it is a snow day today so I have no excuse for not at least finishing this one day!

I loved my lunch at Sci-Fi. I had a Reuben sandwich and it was probably my favorite meal of the week. The kids loved their milkshakes. But Milo was disappointed with his burger. So between Donald and Milo I would say be wary of the hamburgers.

After lunch we ran over to Indiana Jones. McQueen was not disappointed and for the rest of the day he and Buzz were exchanging "stunt" punches and kicks :) After the show we went to the Backlot Tour and rode. No pictures of either of these though - sorry :sad1:

Then we were to meet back with all groups to use our FP's for Toy Story.

So Perla, how did that work out??????

Hey- I would be scared if that giant guy tried to touch me too!

Maybe he put his finger in his mouth because Boo bit him!:lmao: ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter