• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Don't want to dine

NowhereMike

Earning My Ears
My girlfriend and I started to plan our honeymoon for August 2015. We were planning for 6 nights in WDW at the Poly followed right after by a 3-day cruise on the Dream.

I'm not particularly a fan of cruising (especially when those days can be used going on attractions) but we decided what was offered will be fun. But we both have one big sticking point. Dining. Specifically rotational dining.

We are both very picky eaters. She has some allergies in addition to being picky and I have the pallet of a child. Going through the menus of the restaurants on the Dream confirmed that we could barely eat a thing. (Is it hard to serve chicken dishes on a cruise ship or something?)

We both have no problem getting food from the quick service restaurants or room service. We are both usually full on one big meal a day and some snacking. So we would be fine skipping the dining rotation all together but from what I have read it almost seems mandatory. Would we be left out of other activities because we don't show up to dinner? What negative sides are there to not showing up? Do you have to call to cancel dinner every night? Has anyone skipped dinner altogether before?

My girlfriend and I started to plan our honeymoon for August 2015. We were planning for 6 nights in WDW at the Poly followed right after by a 3-day cruise on the Dream.

I'm not particularly a fan of cruising (especially when those days can be used going on attractions) but we decided what was offered will be fun. But we both have one big sticking point. Dining. Specifically rotational dining.

We are both very picky eaters. She has some allergies in addition to being picky and I have the pallet of a child. Going through the menus of the restaurants on the Dream confirmed that we could barely eat a thing. (Is it hard to serve chicken dishes on a cruise ship or something?)

We both have no problem getting food from the quick service restaurants or room service. We are both usually full on one big meal a day and some snacking. So we would be fine skipping the dining rotation all together but from what I have read it almost seems mandatory. Would we be left out of other activities because we don't show up to dinner? What negative sides are there to not showing up? Do you have to call to cancel dinner every night? Has anyone skipped dinner altogether before?

It is not mandatory. When DH and I cruised the first time we had table mates that never showed all three nights. We were cool with that since we really wanted to be alone. I would let them know at guest services, and they can let the dining staff know not to expect you. Just as a courtesy. I get the whole pallet of a child thing, I am the same way...although I was able to find food to eat, one night I had to have the bland steak they serve in all the dining rooms. I agree that I would have been happier with the buffet as far as food goes, but I was glad I made it to the MDR's just for the service and over all themes. Especially Animators Palate...we got to talk to Crush!

Remember, it's your vacation and you know what you want to do.

:welcome: to the DIS and congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

You certainly may opt for quick service dining or Cabanas (which on a 3-night cruise is only offered on the second night).

However, I wouldn't rule out the MDRs. They are quite good with allergies -- you should have those noted on your reservation so DCL can plan. Also you'll speak with the Head Server each evening and if necessary pre-order your meal for the next evening. Most anything can be made "simple" by requesting no sauce or whatever. If you want a basic grilled chicken breast, you may order that. If you like kids menu items, you may order that.

Negatives might be that you would miss the show in Animators Palate. Also that you are essentially paying for those meals in your cruise fare and opting for burgers and pizza every night seems a waste of a nice dinner. Just my opinion there. If you don't plan to attend the MDR dinner, it would be nice to let your servers know so they don't hold up the table and other guests waiting for your arrival.

Even if you do skip the MDRs you should still pay the recommended tips because while not serving you at the MDR those tips cover the work the servers do all day -- whether the MDR for breakfast/lunch, Cabanas, or the quick-service locations -- they work at all of those.

Enjoy your cruise!

Skipping the MDRs definitely won't mean you get left out of anything else. If I were you, I wouldn't skip Animator's Palette, because it's unique and fun-- there's got to be something on there you'll eat, even if it's off the kid's menu or one of the "plain" everyday options that's available. The service is really so good, that I have to imagine your waiter would work with you if you just gave him/her a chance to find something to make you happy. Or if you just want appetizers and desserts, you can do that, too. You can even make a meal out of multiple appetizers (and multiple desserts!).

Disney is wonderful with allergies. Due to my limitations (17 allergies and counting!) the chef was amazing! I ordered many things from the childrens menu to make a meal and they were very accomodating.

You can also visit Cabanas. Ask to speak to a Chef so they can talk you through what is safe and isn't .

A word of advice - if you're not going to the MDR's, the tips from your wait staff is automatically placed onto your bill. You need to go to guest services to have this changed/removed.

Disney is wonderful with allergies. Due to my limitations (17 allergies and counting!) the chef was amazing! I ordered many things from the childrens menu to make a meal and they were very accomodating.

You can also visit Cabanas. Ask to speak to a Chef so they can talk you through what is safe and isn't .

A word of advice - if you're not going to the MDR's, the tips from your wait staff is automatically placed onto your bill. You need to go to guest services to have this changed/removed.

They also DO have chicken or steak each night under "lighter options" or whatever.

As for the tips, it's up to you, but keep in mind that THEY didn't choose to have guests who refuse to eat there, so is it really fair to punish them?? I may be weird, but on my cruise in February when my sister (who was crew on the Dream at the time) got permission to eat with me in the MDRs we were able to get our own table so that a) we could have sister time and b) she could eat without tablemates bombarding her with questions as she had to wear her whites. That put us in a different section with different servers (head was the same). I opted to keep the original team's tips on my account and give the equivalent in cash to the team that actually served us because I didn't think it was right to punish my original team who were expecting a certain number of people in their group. Maybe the tips from one or two people don't make that much difference, but I don't like to punish someone financially because of a choice I made when I knew how things usually work.

I wasn't suggesting they should or shouldn't remove the tips, just a heads up if they choose to. Many first time cruisers won't realise they tips are added automatically onto their bill.

They also DO have chicken or steak each night under "lighter options" or whatever.

As for the tips, it's up to you, but keep in mind that THEY didn't choose to have guests who refuse to eat there, so is it really fair to punish them?? I may be weird, but on my cruise in February when my sister (who was crew on the Dream at the time) got permission to eat with me in the MDRs we were able to get our own table so that a) we could have sister time and b) she could eat without tablemates bombarding her with questions as she had to wear her whites. That put us in a different section with different servers (head was the same). I opted to keep the original team's tips on my account and give the equivalent in cash to the team that actually served us because I didn't think it was right to punish my original team who were expecting a certain number of people in their group. Maybe the tips from one or two people don't make that much difference, but I don't like to punish someone financially because of a choice I made when I knew how things usually work.

If you don't want to go to the dining room, it makes no difference at all, but since those same servers will be manning the buffet and the quick service you should still tip them.

You will have no problem in the main dining rooms...even with allergies and "child-like" palates. They are used to all of it. You can get plain chicken, steak or salmon every night of the cruise and they can work with you if that doesn't appeal to you. They have dealt with every kind of food allergy as well, and will cook things that your fiance can eat.

That said, if you still choose not to go to the MDRs it's no problem. Eat where you want to. Please do keep the tips on your account though. Although they go to your MDR serving team they cover all of your meals on board. Each cruiser simply tips his/her serving team instead of each server they have on board.

Have a great cruise!

As others have said it is not a big deal if you choose to skip the MDR. Actually you will have more opportunities for activities if you skip the dinners. You can choose whichever show suits you best that day. You may also spend that time using the on deck facilities such as pools & Aquaduck when they are less crowded.

While others may feel that it is a waste, it is what makes you happy that counts. Do be aware of what hours foods are served where. IIRC on Fantasy the majority of the on deck quick service closed by 6 and after that only pizza was available. Cabannas is available on the 2nd night of your cruise, but the menus are going to be very similar to what you see in the MDR and in my experience they have less ability to go off menu than the MDRs. Of course room service is offered each day until around midnight the night before demembarkation (please don't quote me on that timing for the last night). If you ask my husband what foods he looks forward to most on a cruise it is most often foods from the room service menu.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials & enjoy your honeymoon.

FWIW, the MDRs offer chicken items every night.

I have seen them go get a hamburger and chicken strips from Flo's for a person at a table near us. My son ate the chicken many nights.

Everyone else has addressed the Dining ... First hand knowledge - DCL Does a GREAT job finding you foods to eat that work with your particular food allergies. You will have to check the Navigator - but most nights of the Cruise, Cabanas (the buffet) is open .. I've never eaten there in the evenings, but others have said its good (and it might not be a buffet)

I used to be like you ... why eat (or do anything else) when you are at the World and could be riding rides or going to the shows. Our mantra USED TO BE "If we are in Florida, we WILL go to the parks!" No Debates, No Questions Asked!!! Then we took our first cruise in conjunction with WDW and SeaWorld. Great Cruise ... Gotta do this again.

Next cruise, few days at WDW, then off to the cruise. Hey, 7 nights on the ship is really awesome ... lets do it again!

The next trip was another 7 nighter and we did NOT go to the World (not enough vacation) and That was Really Hard. Before going to the airport we drove up to the parking lot at the Magic Kingdom - just to look and then drove past EPCOT to see the "Ball".

Next Cruise we actually went to Disneyland, PC Cruise then the World. WOW - that was Simply Awesome!! ::yes:: Next cruise was in the Med - so no WDW - and we didn't go to Paris :(.​

By this time our "When in Florida ..." Mantra had changed from "going to WDW" TO "We are going on a DCL Cruise!!::yes::"

Feel free to order Chicken Strips and Mickey Bars every-night, even if it's not on the menu. i'd simply point out that I find dining in the MDR to be 'fun' and possibly more special than quick service. It's your honeymoon, make it special. Dress up a tiny bit and enjoy being doted on, and each other's company.

You can also order off the kids menu, which includes many items that are available at the quick service locations such as the chicken strips. You can eat as little or as much as you wish. Dining in the MDR with food allergies would actually be easier than at quick service since your head server would be aware of this and able to arrange for anything special you would like. They show you the menu the night before so you can place your request ahead of time. They can't really offer anything different/special at the quick service locations.

If you're dealing with allergies, those are going to be much more easily accommodated in the MDRs. For example, there is nothing they can guarantee is gluten free on the room service menu. They are really good with food issues. They have a "simple" menu every night. And you can just not eat portions of things served alongside if you don't like it. Plus you can order off of the kids menu. I looked at the animator's dream menu, on the "lighter" section they have steak, chicken, and salmon. All fairly plain or lightly seasoned. Served with veggies and baked potato or rice. Fairly plain there. The kids menu has chicken noodle soup, baked cod, chicken strips, mac and cheese, pasta alfredo, etc.

Someone mentioned going to the buffet for dinner. Cabanas is not a buffet for dinner. It has several selected items from the main dining room menus. If you are trying to get food that is different from the MDR's, Cabanas won't work.

NowhereMike ~ Have you looked at the kids menus? A lot of adults order from them, so you won't be the only one. But I agree with other posters, you can get pretty much anything you want, if you just ask for it. Would you eat a roasted chicken breast? That's always on the menu, as is a grilled steak.

Check out the kid's menus http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

If it's getting dressed up that you are worried about, no worries. From what I can tell based on a recent cruise, you can wear whatever you want. Some people dressed like PIGS! I wear nicer clothes to watch my teenage son mow the lawn.

One guy wore a cowboy hat to dinner every night. He never took it off. Others wore hats for their favorite Nascar drivers.

Enjoy your cruise! :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone for the advice. The kids menu might be a good option. Didn't realize you could order just a chicken breast or something plainer not on the menu.

As for the tipping, i'm usually a pretty generous tipper. I guess I'll have to look up a tipping guide for the cruise line because forgetting to tip someone will give me anxiety forever.

Looks like I'll be booking the cruise (after the site is done with maintenance) just needed some extra assurance and I definitely got that. Thank you all.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The kids menu might be a good option. Didn't realize you could order just a chicken breast or something plainer not on the menu.

As for the tipping, i'm usually a pretty generous tipper. I guess I'll have to look up a tipping guide for the cruise line because forgetting to tip someone will give me anxiety forever.

Looks like I'll be booking the cruise (after the site is done with maintenance) just needed some extra assurance and I definitely got that. Thank you all.

Another item that isn't on the menu (but I've ordered on every cruise) is a Caesar Salad. If none of the other options (appetizers or soup) on the menu sound good, that is my standby :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter