Don't want to be the packhorse - Will I regret it?

Eeyore1925

Mouseketeer
I will be traveling in March with DH, DD(17), and DS(14). In previous years I have been the packhorse carrying all the family supplies in a backpack. DH will only carry his camera.

This year I think I'm going to revolt and carry only a small baggallini with room for my PDA, some cash and my tickets. Nothing else. We are staying on site so I figure we can apply the sunscreen before we head out in the AM and if it rains, we just get wet.

Am I nuts? Will I regret this decision?

:scared1:

We shed our backpack three years ago and have never regretted it. I carry my pouch but that is it! :)

It looks like your kids are old enough to carry around their own stuff if they need it.

I go with no bag any time I can. Unless I'm carrying my camera or rain gear, I usually wear cargo jeans (much more comfortable pocket for the wallet) and go bag free. It also makes getting into the park simpler, since you don't have to go through bag check. I usually put a couple band-aids, hand wash towelettes, and an insect repellent towelette in the other cargo pocket and I'm all set.

You never know until you try. I think you're making a wise choice.

I plan on going lighter this year, too, and I have a 3 and 4 year old.

I would say that all you need to worry about is your own stuff. The kids can carry their own stuff and make sure they lnow that before you leave. if they want to carry a backpack, let them, but tell them you aren't going to take over if they get tired.

We are, unfortunately, taking way too much stuff that we will not need and put it all in the stroller.

I only carry a tiny bag with emergency meds in case DS has a reaction to something and the camera. Your kids are old enough to carry their own stuff if they want it!

BTW....DH was making fun of me last night, because as much as I avoid having to carry stuff around the parks, you should see the suitcase situation:lmao:

Well, you could always take a duffle with jackets, umbrellas, sunscreen, hats etc, and stuff it in a locker. That's what we're going to do on our first ever trip this weekend. I'm NOT a fan of carrying a bunch of stuff so I bought myself a little mini ameribag (looks like a Healthy Back bag, but smaller like a fanny pack that can be worn either way). I put my little card wallet in it along with a few wet wipes and a foldable hairbrush. My mom has one just like it she'll carry the camera. The rest will all be stored in a locker. I hope it works well for us. Anyway, your teenagers, and mine, are plenty old enough to carry their own stuff. We did our service as pack mules when they were little. Huh? My only concern now is if they'll be responsible enough to keep track of their Key to the World cards!

MOM is not a synonym for PACK MULE!

I say the load should be split 4 ways. In my family, everyone carries their own cell phone, jacket, $1 poncho and water bottle.

DW or I will carry the camera and a small first aid kit.

OT, but, we always keep the phones and camera in ziplock bags.

My take - you said your husband will only carry his camera. So let him. The "kids" are old enough to know what they need to the day.

this might be cruel but do you go off to your husband's work everyday or follow your kids to school every day? They take care of themselves then, why should a vacation be any different? YOU are on vacation too.

I used to pack for everyone in the family. That ended when I asked my husband son for their bathing suits since I didn't know where they kept them. I never got them, they never got packed and I was blamed. Next trip and every other trip since then - "here's your suitcase, pack it". If they forget it, they only have themselves to blame.

Take a break from the guilt.

For all those packing first aid kits and bandaids: you can get those for free in any park at the first aid centers. Bandaids, tylenol, whatever. Don't carry those around.

In fact, try to carry little to nothing, only what will fit in a pocket or around your neck (camera). I swear that is probably one of the best things we ever did was stop carrying a bunch of stuff. You are not going on an expedition to Siberia! :lmao:

Be happy, travel light! :banana:

Please remember that sun screen needs to be reapplied during the day, even the waterproof stuff!

Skin cancer is not the best souvenir from a vacation!

Beth

Once the kids are over 13, everyone carries their own stuff, period. Of course this means you have to check that they have what they need and I think it's fine for one person to carry the snacks. However, everyone needs to carry their own extra clothing, drinks, camera's, money, ipod, etc etc etc.

I've snow skiied since I was a ankle biter and always ski with a backpack. I just love carrying what I need (tools, water, extra clothes, survival pack)and being used to it, I don't even feel it anymore. However, over the years, friends and family began to use me as a storage locker. It's too hot, can you carry this? It's too cold I need my gloves. I'm thirsty I need my water bottle. About ten years ago, I closed the locker to all but me.

My days are much more enjoyable now as;

-I carry less so my back doesn't hurt.
-I don't spend half the time fishing something out of the backpack.
-I don't worry about losing or breaking someone's something or other. (Biggie)

Of course what you'll realize is that everyone will figure out how to carry their own stuff once they have to. They may complain half way throught the day as they lug their extra sweater or whatever but the next day they probably won't make that mistake. And there will always be exceptions but as soon as they're teens, they carry their own stuff.

DD10 has been carrying at least some of her stuff since our first WDW trip when she was 5. I carry the money, tickets, camera, sunscreen (we both burn easily, so re-application isn't optional, lol), and maybe a few other things, depending on the day. She carries her stuff - small snack, autograph book and pen, her spending money, pin lanyard, bottle of water, and whatever else she wants to jam into her small backpack. If she chooses to carry nothing, that's fine, but her stuff doesn't get added to my load.

At 5, she felt all grown up being "allowed" to carry her own things. :laughing: Now, it's just normal for her. :thumbsup2

You bring what you want to carry. Everyone else can do the same. Your name isn't spelled P-A-C-K-M-U-L-E ;)

Been bagless for a few years now and it is so great. DH carries the camera in his pocket, I carry cell phone, chapstick and meds (advil and goody powders). DH has all room keys in his wallet, we are covered. I have even stopped carrying the Palm Pilot (getting a Palm Cntro for late Christmas present). I love not having to wait in the bag check line!

I LOVE sailing into the parks with nothing on me except sunglasses on my head and a coin purse (not even my whole wallet) in my pocket.

I have shorts with a zippered pocket to make sure it doesn't fall out.

I bought the coin purse in Japan at Epcot from Mitsukoshi, and it has a few bills in cash for snack carts, my driver's license, my annual pass, and my room key. Oh, and a few Ibuprofen and Rolaids rolled up in a ziplock but that's really for Joe so I think I'll make him carry it, LOL!

If I need something, I either go back to our room or I buy it. I'm on vacation! Our running collection of rain ponchos has become a favorite family joke. Who wants to carry them all day? Not I!

In March the weather should be ok. I think all you would need is a bottle of water to carry and a camera. I don't even carry a purse; I put my credit card in my pocket.

We also went bagless on our last trip in 2006. It was so nice! Of course if we needed a camera etc. DH just put it in his cargo shorts and we were in! Our kids are older so a change of clothes etc. was not needed. It just makes the day go easier when we aren't packed down and worrying about stuff getting lost or left behind.

Each time we've gone, we've limited ourselves to whatever would fit in two mini kid backpacks... we're talking tiny. Just enough room for a water bottle and the camera and it's packed. Of course, we squeezed in mini bottles of sunscreen and hand sanitizer, coins for the coin souvenirs, etc... small stuff.

By day 3, we decide we don't need two bags, one will do.

By the time we leave, we're down to the camera in the pocket and no bags.

Mom does not, and honestly should not, be the family pack mule. The only reason to pack a bagful of stuff is if you have a baby or toddler who needs special supplies. (Or someone with a medical condition, but that's another whole horse too.)

You may feel naked the first couple of days, but you'll adjust quickly. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter