Don't understand the dining arrangements

mum

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

Could someone explain how dining on the cruise works?
1.When you book are you automatically assigned to early or late sitting or do you choose?
2.What does the rotational dining mean? Are you automatically assigned to restaurants or do you choose?
3.Can you change any of the above assignments?
4.Are you assigned to specific restaurants for breakfast and lunch also?
5. Do you share your table with other diners at all times? We would be a family of 5.

As you've gathered I have never cruised anywhere before and haven't got a clue how it all works and it seems very confusing. But I felt exactly the same way when I was at the planning stage for our first ever trip to WDW 2 years ago and thanks to the invaluable advice I received on Disboards we've had 2 wonderful holidays at WDW since , so I know that experienced Disney cruisers will be able to help me out this time round.
Thanks in advance.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:

Hi everyone,

1.When you book are you automatically assigned to early or late sitting or do you choose?
2.What does the rotational dining mean? Are you automatically assigned to restaurants or do you choose?
5. Do you share your table with other diners at all times? We would be a family of 5.

As you've gathered I have never cruised anywhere before and haven't got a clue how it all works and it seems very confusing. But I felt exactly the same way when I was at the planning stage for our first ever trip to WDW 2 years ago and thanks to the invaluable advice I received on Disboards we've had 2 wonderful holidays at WDW since , so I know that experienced Disney cruisers will be able to help me out this time round.

When you book you can chose early or late IF both are still available. Sometimes early is booked and then you would be assigned late (and can be added to a waitlist if you really want early).

Rotation dining means that 1/3 of the ship will each start off in one of the 3 dining rooms and each night you will go to another dining room (with your same serving team) so each 1/3 of the ship goes through all of the dining rooms. There are three set dining rotations. These are randomly assigned and you will find out at check-in which rotation you are on. It will be list on your KTTW card.

You can request a specific rotation but we found it really does not matter which rotation you are on.

You can eat whereever you want for breakfast and lunch...either buffet, fast food or sit down (or more than one!). The only exception to this is on the last morning they ask you to have breakfast in the same dining room where you had dinner the night before. But, you can skip the dining room for breakfast if you want and either not eat or eat up at the buffet (to us more convenient).

You can sometimes be placed with others for dining but you can request a table for just your family.

MJ

Hi everyone,

You can put in a request and maybe get it, maybe not. We have never requested, and have had both seatings and no issues with either-even with kids
you will dine in a different restaurant each night-but will have the same servers each night. The rotation will be listed on your key to the world card upon checking in
you can put in a request to change your dining time-as for rotation, i do not know.
I think there might be for breakfast if you choose to sit down and be served-not sure if this is everyday as we have always done buffet with the exception of the character breakfast on our 7 day
We prefer to dine with just the 4 of us so we always put in a request to dine alone-a family of 5 could easily be put with another family though

Hope that helps some, though i am sure there will be more replies, with more detail :)

Sorry to hijack, but do you put in the request to dine alone prior to the cruise or when you get on board?

Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions.

When I booked online, I was automatically assigned the later seating, but I was able to switch to main seating. It changed on my reservation details, and never said anything about a waiting list. Can I safely assume this meant that main seating times were still available and I got them?

Thanks everyone for the great info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter