Don't understand. Please explain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I'm in the minority. And for the people who enjoy it more power to you.

I like villains too and would love to see a parade of them. But faceless group of 10 or 20 or 30 (wonder at what number is the most joyful) just don't see it.

Maybe having seen too many history channel clips of crowds cheering synchronized faceless soldiers that it freaks me out a little to see crowds cheering this.

Anyway we had fun in all the parks...

Me thinks you are taking this a little too seriously.

What is going on in our country, and all over the world for that matter, is scary enough right now. Take the real world seriously, VERY seriously, but let people have their make believe parade of Storm Troopers at one of the few places in America that is still kind of magical, and an escape from the insanity of reality. Its incredibly harmless in comparison.

Last edited:

I like villains too and would love to see a parade of them. But faceless group of 10 or 20 or 30 (wonder at what number is the most joyful) just don't see it.

Maybe having seen too many history channel clips of crowds cheering synchronized faceless soldiers that it freaks me out a little to see crowds cheering this.

Have yet to witness crowds cheering for the Stormtroopers. In fact, each time we've been there, there has been lots of enthusiastic booing...including from me. I love to shout, as they walk by, "Long live the resistance/rebellion!!"

I think you are just taking it way too seriously. As others have said I haven't seen anyone overly cheering for the Storm Troopers. Some little ones do indeed get giddy. I would imagine 99% of Star Wars fans know the imagery behind the First Order/the Empire/ Imperial forces and do not cheer for that when it is found in real life.

Yea the storm troopers are kind of militaristic. They support the dark side so its supposed to be a bit scary I guess. If it scares you and your kiddos there are tons of other things you can see.

They actually are meant to represent fascist forces. If you think it is just on the Dis where that discussion is happening you've missed those conversations since they first appeared on everyone's movie screens.

Didn't miss anything, just not a Star Wars fan. But I meant it in the context of the parade - the Storm Troopers are just doing what they do in the movie, there's no undertones in the parade or from the people watching the parade.

DS loved the March of the Storm Troopers but he had no desire to go Fantasyland and read with Belle so I could say, "What's the point of that? Who wants to sit and read when there are a million other things to do at Disney?" and I would be wrong to say it because some people enjoy it. It's not our cup of tea so we don't have to participate. Disney didn't get to where it is by limiting what they offer. They got there by offering something for everyone. And isn't that how it should be?

Besides, saying that the Storm Troopers glorifies Fascism is as ridiculous as saying that princesses perpetuate the myth that girls need a Prince to save them and validate them. it's all supposed to be fun.

I mean Disney's mascot is vermin and generally a disease spreader in real life, are we going to question everything? :faint::confused::eek::confused3

Last edited:
It's fantasy. They're not real Stormtroopers.
From a different perspective, there are young CMs under those bulky hot costumes doing a job in order to support themselves. They're trying to entertain guests, and considering what they have to endure, especially during the summer, are doing it very well.

Maybe stop watching those history channel clips if it freaks you out that much. It's Star Wars...it's all pretend. Storm Troopers are "bad guys". Wouldn't look like bad guys if they skipped down the lane.

I agree with others, the interaction with the guests is awesome. One of them got a hold of my oldest DS last trip. It was hysterical!! Of course, they dragged me into it too "You are his father??"

I understand that it's all just fantasy, but I also think I can see where OP is coming from. One commenter mentioned that as part of the act a little boy got pulled aside for "questioning." Of course that eventually turns into some kind of treat, but it could also be a little unsettling.

I imagine that a child who has suffered the trauma of watching his parents get taken aside and questioned in airports, by police, or elsewhere might have a hard time distinguishing between reality and fantasy while watching something like this.

Because that is a bit of the tricky part - for many, Disney lets people escape the real world. But sometimes the real world comes roaring back in.

That's no judgment on people who enjoy it. Not in the least. At the same time, it's okay to take things like Disney seriously every once in a while, to ask ourselves how different people might experience these wonderfully immersive stories, for good and for bad.

love Disney and like Sleeping Beauty just fine...

But at MK and the stage show with Maleficent coming on the stage with pounding aggressive music (scary to young ones) seems very satanic as she appears on stage (similar to the devil)
He is the bad guy right?

What is the attraction to all this??

Don't get it.

And doesn't seem to fit into what Disney is all about.

Am I just missing something?

love Disney and like Sleeping Beauty just fine...

But at MK and the stage show with Maleficent coming on the stage with pounding aggressive music (scary to young ones) seems very satanic as she appears on stage (similar to the devil)
He is the bad guy right?

What is the attraction to all this??

Don't get it.

And doesn't seem to fit into what Disney is all about.

Am I just missing something?
I guess it's the same reason why some people like scary movies or scary rides.

Last edited:
I understand that it's all just fantasy, but I also think I can see where OP is coming from. One commenter mentioned that as part of the act a little boy got pulled aside for "questioning." Of course that eventually turns into some kind of treat, but it could also be a little unsettling.

I imagine that a child who has suffered the trauma of watching his parents get taken aside and questioned in airports, by police, or elsewhere might have a hard time distinguishing between reality and fantasy while watching something like this.

Because that is a bit of the tricky part - for many, Disney lets people escape the real world. But sometimes the real world comes roaring back in.

That's no judgment on people who enjoy it. Not in the least. At the same time, it's okay to take things like Disney seriously every once in a while, to ask ourselves how different people might experience these wonderfully immersive stories, for good and for bad.

This type of situation was brought up not too long ago because of the gangster scene in the great movie ride. The idea that someone who has experienced gun violence might be disturb in that scene.

In the case of the Storm Troopers the CMs who are in charge of them during their marching and interaction are very well trained on the situational awareness. The moment they believe a child is not experiencing it in the fun way it is intended is the moment they pull the storm troopers from the situation and defuse the whole thing as best as possible. So yes while this situation may happen (although I imagine the odds are low that someone sees storm trooper and things cop) I'm sure Disney would handle it the best way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter