"Don't Touch My Kids"? Well, Don't Touch Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I know I feel bad when my 3 year old runs in front of people or walks into them. I tell them I need a sign for on her back that says "Sorry!" so I don't have to say it so much lol. She is special needs so I think people are a little more understanding but I still feel really bad. We work really hard on not running into people or cutting them off. I don't understand how some people could be so rude.

I agree with this to an extent...I think kids should be allowed to be kids but within reason....not in a crowded area, not in a quiet movie or restaurant...If they wanna skip in Disneyworld so be it I may join in...but they know how to act around other people and if they do something like that they will immediately apologize and if they dont I will make them...

that's exactly my point... my boys are quiet in places where they are supposed to be (movies, restaurants, libraries, synagogue, etc) but when we're out and about (and no, we can't "stay home") they have "ants in their pants" :confused3

We were at WDW with another family and took their child with us one day. Our DD knows not to run around in public and act a fool. That child did not and wanted to spaz out and dart around, etc. DH and I told her to stop running ahead and stay with us, telling her that she could easily knock a child, pregnant woman or elderly person down and hurt them. We didn't yell at her, we just calmly told her she couldn't run while with us and the reason why. You'd have thought we'd slapped her upside the head. :eek: She wasn't used to hearing the word "no" and thought we were meanies for stifling her fun. I didn't give a rat's hiney because my parents and DH's taught us how to behave in public, we've taught DD and I'll be danged if I was going to be in the company of a child who was following her every impulse all day long.....especially when some of those impulses could result in injury to others. In the OP's husband's shoes, I'd have stiff-armed that kid before I let him run into me too.

As for the whole, "Don't speak to my child even if they have a Celebration Button on" thing.....When you wear a Birthday Button, you are ASKING for comments and greetings. DD wore one every day of our trip and LOVED the attention she received. :lmao: I'd have been quite the hypocrit to have bought those buttons to advertise her birthday and then gritched at people for noticing and wishing her well. :rolleyes1 I'd like to thank every CM that said HB to her and made her trip so special. :thumbsup2

There was actually a thread here about a month or two ago in which a parent expressed that exact sentiment. In fact, he said that if a CM ever spoke directly to his child for any reason, he would immediately speak to the CM's manager and ensure that he/she was fired, because no adult should ever address a child under the age of 13 directly for any reason whatsoever. (Someone did ask about the case of a celebration button and the father said that didn't matter, no adult should ever address a child etc.)
I'd love to read that thread -- now I'm wondering if it was the same person.

As for getting a CM fired for wishing a child "happy birthday": Yeah, good luck with that. :lmao:

There was actually a thread here about a month or two ago in which a parent expressed that exact sentiment. In fact, he said that if a CM ever spoke directly to his child for any reason, he would immediately speak to the CM's manager and ensure that he/she was fired, because no adult should ever address a child under the age of 13 directly for any reason whatsoever. (Someone did ask about the case of a celebration button and the father said that didn't matter, no adult should ever address a child etc.)

I didn't see that thread but the man sounds like a total jerk. Of course the CMs talk to children and are friendly. That's part of the fun and the charm and completely appropriate. That person needs to be vacationing out in the woods somewhere.:sad2:

Wasn't that the point of the OP? To comment on parenting skills?

Was this Dad not doing his job? Probably. In the scheme of things, is it worth getting in a confrontation over? Probably not. Just walk away. Lecturing him is not going to magically turn him into a better parent or getting angry with his kids won't make them better behaved so what's the point?

I don't think I would ever reach out to touch someone else's child but that comes from years of sexual abuse/harassment training. I guess I'm paranoid.

My comment wasn't geared towards the OP it was all of the "I raise my child right and you raise yours wrong" mentality of the posters that followed. Regardless the kids shouldn't run into the husband at all.

"obviously liked sucking down junk food"....What is that supposed to mean:confused3 and "idiot Dad?" Seriously , I have no issue with the Op's complaint of the 2 kids roughhousing and the way the parent handled it.The Op was correct in that regard, and as a parent myself I would have done the same thing.I do have a problem with name calling.There is no need to call a Dad an idiot.He may very well be one, but judging him by a 5-7 minute snapshot of activity in a themepark is not neccessarily a fair assessment of his character.He may have been having an off day, he may have not been paying attention and only saw the OPs husband, it could be any number of factors.It doesn't excuse poor behavior, but doesn't auto-qualify a label as an "idiot".The comment about the junkfood completely through me here...What does that have to do with anything?

I can beat that. :)

A few months ago, a friend of mine was walking though her area when she saw a young boy wearing a Happy Birthday button with his name printed beneath it. She smiled and said, "Happy Birthday, Joey!" (or whatever his name was). The child's father, who was riding in an ECV next to the boy, immediately snapped, "How dare you talk to my kid!"

No joke... we ultimately had to get management involved because the Guest was so outraged that a CM had the utter gall to address his child. Some people...

Edit: The CM later told me that would be the last time she'd ever make mention of a Guest's "celebration" button.

:sad2: This is the same guy who will complain later on that he did not have any Disney Magic, never seeing that he prevented the opportunity to let the CM's spread the :wizard: that they ar e so well know for

Folks were done here this thread is going nowhere. Thanks Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter