• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Don't rent your points too soon!! You may regret it!!

suebeelin

DIS Veteran
Ugh. I rented out points back in January for someone's October (upcoming trip). They were 2015 use year points.

I just found out my BEST FRIEND who lives in LA is wiling to join me on our December 2016 trip!! I'm so upset!!! I could totally have banked those rented points and used them for this trip!!

Instead, I have to borrow 20 BWV points from 2017 for 7 days in a 2 bd, assuming I get the standard room at the 11mo mark.

Word of advice: don't rent unless they are banked points!!!

I guess I could pay the one time $15 use fee from Disney and not borrow?!

Last edited:
.....(snip).........I guess I could pay the one time $15 use fee from Disney and not borrow?!

Yes, you could buy one time use points from Disney for the reservation, but it will be $15/point and they can't be used to make a reservation more than 7 months in advance. It's unlikely that a standard view 2 bedroom would still be available at 7 months for a December stay.

I do not worry about borrowing points! Enjoy your special time with your good friend! If you prefer to buy the 1 time use points, they could not be used at 11 months. You would have to get a BWV transfer.

Yes, you could buy one time use points from Disney for the reservation, but it will be $15/point and they can't be used to make a reservation more than 7 months in advance. It's unlikely that a standard view 2 bedroom would still be available at 7 months for a December stay.

Oh no! You can't rent the one time $15 points at 11 months to add them on your ressie?! I guess I'll borrow then and hope hope hope she doesn't back out!! I'll kill her if she backs out.

We are going to do 7 days at a std 2bd at boardwalk, then 7 days in a std 2bd at bay lake between dec 1-14. I better be totally on the ball on this one and be ready to book at 8am exactly 11mo in advance!!!

Last edited:
It's a hard decision to make. I always like to take the opportunity to rent my points and I do so early on in my UY. Then I've found myself paying for a promo last minute because I could all of a sudden fit in a trip. It's all a wash. Don't sweat it too much. Have fun with your friends!!

Same happened to me! I rented out the rest of our banked 2014 points and our 2015 points and now my little sister is doing the Disney College Program this fall! We do a 2 bedroom so I could borrow enough from 2016 for all but one night! So frustrating! We have that one night booked cash but will get my sister to book that night with her cast member discount which seems will be significant. But hey, at least now I am going to Disney for 2015 when I thought I wasn't!

I did this same thing before. We ended up booking a cash reservation in April with 30% room discount because we just couldn't stay away from Disney for a whole year lol

I may do a shorter split stay- 5 days at BWV 2bd Std and 7 days at BLT 2bd std. She can join me for any or all of these days!

The thing I'm stressing about now is whether a blt 2bd std view is worth the point savings over a lake view. It's only a few points a night. I don't want to be stuck on the first floor....

But yah... Thx for the stories. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one ;). Now I'm not renting out my points unless they are banked points that expire soon anyway!

If she happens to back out, call MS. I believe you can make sure they use the borrowed points first. That way, you can bank the extra points from 2016 UY to 2017.

As for BLT std view, we have two different experiences. Once we received probably the worst view at BLT. It we a view of the overhang to the work area. Saw plenty of dead bugs on that area. Half of the view was toward the fountain and tennis courts. DW focused on the bugs, I focused on the fountain. She never wanted to book SV again. Eventually, we booked another SV. We didn't want 1st floor, but that's what we received. Part of life. Ended up 1st floor looking towards CR/marina area. We ended up really liking it. For the points, we were very happy.

Just realize BLT SV rooms can have many different views. One can be pretty good. The next can be not so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter