• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Don't like Hungry Bear's sweet potato fries?

My vote is for the zesty slaw. It was yummy. Both my mum and I loved it. Loved our fried green tomato sandwiches as well.

I'm not a huge sp fry fan, I'd rather that they served regular as well. But the onion rings are great! It's a tough call, because I think the sandwiches at HB are some of the best in either park! So eating somewhere else with regular fries is sometimes just not worth it.
One trick I've found is if I dunk the sp fries in "fry sauce" (it's a Utah thing, ketchup and mayo mixed), they don't taste much different ;)

Fry sauce isn't contained to Utah, I grew up eating it in Oregon and Idaho. :) No one here knows what it is tho so I make my own. :) DBF loves it, says I should market it and sell it. LOL Mine is usually Ranch and ketchup mixed together but sometimes I just do mayo and ketchup.

My vote is for the zesty slaw. It was yummy. Both my mum and I loved it. Loved our fried green tomato sandwiches as well.

Is it the same slaw that's sold elsewhere in the parks?

For my family, the sweet potato fries are huge improvement over the blah white fries. They are crisp, flavorful and actually contain the vitamins that a vegetable should.

DH got the apple slices with his adult burger last time @ HB. This is a much better option than fries, especially for kids. Then you still have room for the lemon cupcake! :cool1:

Glad to hear about ala carte at HB. Count me as not liking SP fries either. I wish they would just sub a small bag of potato chips, that would work for me.

Probably even better for me to skip all the sides, lol/
It's not just at HB. All counter service restaurants at DL offer a la carte...it's just not on the menu.

Does anyone know if the a la carte option is available at any other places? The portion sizes are more than I can eat, and if I'm not splitting with someone, this would be a great way to avoid wasting as much food.

DH got the apple slices with his burger last time @ HB. This is a much better option than fries, especially for kids.

Interesting, this is what I actually first asked the cashier, if I could have apple slices with the regular burger. I was told no, I could only have the apple slices with the kid's meal burger, but she offered me a la carte as an option (which had been the next question I was going to ask). The kid's meal burger wouldn't have been enough for my boys (and chances are they wouldn't have eaten the apples anyway since they always complain that packaged fruit doesn't taste quite right), so a la carte worked out well for us.

^^^ too bad when you get different answers from different CM's :(

I dont know why they would care, apples must be alot cheaper than onion rings etc. I do agree that packaged apples taste weird.

I love French Fries.
I like Sweet Potatoes.
I HATE Sweet Potato Fries.

I no longer eat at Hungry Bear because I can no longer get regular yummy and delicious french fries.

I now go to Village Haus for my cheese burger fix which is sad cause I like Hungry Bears location. Which we could choose between not sure why there is only one option. :confused3

I dont know why they would care, apples must be alot cheaper than onion rings etc.

That was my thought. DH pointed out that they probably don't have a cash register button for that (choosing apples), but apparently they have one for a la carte since that went off without a hitch. Wonder how come it worked for you. :confused3

It's not just at HB. All counter service restaurants at DL offer a la carte...it's just not on the menu.

Not sure about this. I have tried a la carte at many places and been flatly refused at some. Award Wieners comes to mind... :rolleyes2 It's never worked there for us. Couple other places too. Of course, sometimes you just get different answers from different CMs.

Not sure about this. I have tried a la carte at many places and been flatly refused at some. Award Wieners comes to mind... :rolleyes2 It's never worked there for us. Couple other places too. Of course, sometimes you just get different answers from different CMs.

Don't even get me started on Award Weiners. We haven't eaten there since they swapped out french fries for chips or apples. It was one of our favorite CS locations, but now we boycott it. We've been known to quietly chant 'Bring back the French Fries' while walking by. :blush:

Don't even get me started on Award Weiners. We haven't eaten there since they swapped out french fries for chips or apples. It was one of our favorite CS locations, but now we boycott it. We've been known to quietly chant 'Bring back the French Fries' while walking by. :blush:

Yes, which makes not being able to order a la carte that much more galling. DS10 really liked the Sicilian sausage. I can't think though when the whole family last ordered something there together. I think DS10 got the sausage last time because he didn't want to eat whatever the rest of us were eating.

Fry sauce isn't contained to Utah, I grew up eating it in Oregon and Idaho. :) No one here knows what it is tho so I make my own. :) DBF loves it, says I should market it and sell it. LOL Mine is usually Ranch and ketchup mixed together but sometimes I just do mayo and ketchup.

Is it the same slaw that's sold elsewhere in the parks?

No, the slaw is only at hungry bear and not like any other slaw in the park. If you have had the fried green tomato sandwich, you have tasted it as it's on that. I believe they call it Jicima Mango slaw and it's NOT mayo based like most other coleslaws. This is more of a fruit/zesty veggie slaw.

No, the slaw is only at hungry bear and not like any other slaw in the park. If you have had the fried green tomato sandwich, you have tasted it as it's on that. I believe they call it Jicima Mango slaw and it's NOT mayo based like most other coleslaws. This is more of a fruit/zesty veggie slaw.

I was so excited to try the fried green tomato sandwich and totally hated it :\. My hubby LOVED it tho. He finished mine for me HAHAHA

Ahhh...the fried green tomato sandwich! It is SO good. I can't wait to have one in a couple of weeks! This is one of my splurges. Good to know about the a la carte option, though! I like sweet potato fries, but I don't NEED them. They aren't any better than what I can get at home, so they are kind of a waste of Weight Watchers points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter