Don't know why, but DCL still holds a special place in our family.

luvavacation

DIS Veteran
It has been almost 8 years since the last time I went on a DCL vacation, and that was with just my youngest daughter before she finished college. I realize the DCL experience has changed since then, and maybe it isn't what it used to be, I don't know. Yet, I still feel a longing to be on the ship when I see the ad on TV.

Through the years of raising my family, we did go on other cruise lines, but DCL was always the one my family liked the most, and we became Platinum many years ago. I don't know if DCL was so special because of the experience on our first cruise 21 years ago, or it just always was a nicer experience than any other cruise.

Even when it was just my DH and I, even in a concierge cabin on RCCL, we still felt that longing when we pulled up next to the Dream in port.

Years later, my children are grown, one moved away with her family for work, careers and family kept the kids busy, and family vacations are no longer something to be assumed.

I have a grandchild now though, and my daughter has told me that the baby's first cruise will be on DCL, no other. And it got me thinking - what is this hold that DCL has over all of us?

We could have a fun time on Carnival, we have in fact, and it would cost much less. But yet no one wants to do that.

My husband and I could opt for a very luxurious experience on a Seabourn cruise (ok, he would pass out at the price, but does he need to know?:rolleyes1). Yet even today we still wish we were on that Disney cruise as it pulls away from Port Canaveral while we are at the beach nearby.

So what is this magic that DCL has over us? Is it the memories of cruises long past that have us desiring to make more of those wonderful family memories? And why didn't we have that on NCL, or RCCL, or any other cruise we did together?

And I know for many, a DCL cruise is just an overpriced cruise, but for those that have felt that "magic", what do you feel made it "magic" for you? Or is my family the only one that drank that Kool-Aid and now we are always thirsty and need more of it?:drinking1

Great question! I don't have an answer but I have similar feelings. :love:

We have done 26 Disney cruises since 2000. My kids are grown and moved to FL (they're smarter than me) but DH and I still sail DCL. 1 DS was even able to make it on our last cruise with us and both DSs and a fiancee made it the time before. It's very hard to coordinate 5 schedules but we will do it if we can. Next year my oldest is getting married and they chose to do it at our favorite place on Earth...Castaway Cay. DCL definitely has something over us. :stir:

Disney was a special cruise for my family too. I felt the magic, however, I also felt the impact on my wallet. We took our kids on a HAL cruise the year before Disney, and a NCL America and HAL cruise after.
So, I can't say Disney will be a once in a lifetime cruise for our family, or not. I have Granddaughter's now so it is possible we may go again. But my last cruise was in October 2019, 7 days Vancouver to Los Angeles on Celebrity. It was an amazing cruise that cost $600 a person for a balcony stateroom. Hoping to return to cruising after all our retirement money streams start next year, but frankly, with the covid and norovirus situations currently, that is subject to change.

I you feel that way why has it been eight years?
Eh, life happens! Jobs, graduations, weddings, relocations, and everything in between.

And a whole world that isn't just the Bahamas, Eastern or Western Caribbean, or Alaska. One goes out, explores, does things that are now just 2 people, but yet one can still say that, of any other cruise that has been experienced, DCL still holds a special place filled with fond memories, and no other cruise line feels the same.

I just find it interesting that my family still prefers it over any other option, and I don't really know what the special "thing" is on a DCL ship that has us wishing we were on it, but we have wonderful family memories made during Disney cruises.

But there is a whole world out there and DCL doesn't go everywhere we want to go. We still look back fondly.

And I know for many, a DCL cruise is just an overpriced cruise, but for those that have felt that "magic", what do you feel made it "magic" for you? Or is my family the only one that drank that Kool-Aid and now we are always thirsty and need more of it?:drinking1

IMO not Kool-Aid at all but a feeling like it's Sunday Evening at home watching Uncle Walt and feeling sooo comfortable and young. *guess that sounds goofy*

DW and I have had many Magical Moments with DCL, the First DVC Member Cruise, a cruise with 6yo and 4yo Grandsons when we had custody while Dad had Army stuff, a big Family cruise when we flew those 2 OLDER Grandsons in and got to go on the Bridge and Blow the Horn TWICE when leaving CC, a surprise to me Concierge 1BR that blew me away, +++ , BUT things don't feel Disney-ish now be it at WDW or Cruising so we simply cruise elsewhere for fewer $$$$ and receive much more value.

Have no problem with "Whatever floats your boat" for others.

IMO not Kool-Aid at all but a feeling like it's Sunday Evening at home watching Uncle Walt and feeling sooo comfortable and young. *guess that sounds goofy*

DW and I have had many Magical Moments with DCL, the First DVC Member Cruise, a cruise with 6yo and 4yo Grandsons when we had custody while Dad had Army stuff, a big Family cruise when we flew those 2 OLDER Grandsons in and got to go on the Bridge and Blow the Horn TWICE when leaving CC, a surprise to me Concierge 1BR that blew me away, +++ , BUT things don't feel Disney-ish now be it at WDW or Cruising so we simply cruise elsewhere for fewer $$$$ and receive much more value.

Have no problem with "Whatever floats your boat" for others.
Ahh yes, "Sunday evening at home" - perfect analogy! And such wonderful memories you have!

Disney is an expert at pulling your heartstrings. Magical moments that you remember. Scents. Lyrics in shows that give you feelings.

It has been almost 8 years since the last time I went on a DCL vacation, and that was with just my youngest daughter before she finished college. I realize the DCL experience has changed since then, and maybe it isn't what it used to be, I don't know. Yet, I still feel a longing to be on the ship when I see the ad on TV.

Through the years of raising my family, we did go on other cruise lines, but DCL was always the one my family liked the most, and we became Platinum many years ago. I don't know if DCL was so special because of the experience on our first cruise 21 years ago, or it just always was a nicer experience than any other cruise.

Even when it was just my DH and I, even in a concierge cabin on RCCL, we still felt that longing when we pulled up next to the Dream in port.

Years later, my children are grown, one moved away with her family for work, careers and family kept the kids busy, and family vacations are no longer something to be assumed.

I have a grandchild now though, and my daughter has told me that the baby's first cruise will be on DCL, no other. And it got me thinking - what is this hold that DCL has over all of us?

We could have a fun time on Carnival, we have in fact, and it would cost much less. But yet no one wants to do that.

My husband and I could opt for a very luxurious experience on a Seabourn cruise (ok, he would pass out at the price, but does he need to know?:rolleyes1). Yet even today we still wish we were on that Disney cruise as it pulls away from Port Canaveral while we are at the beach nearby.

So what is this magic that DCL has over us? Is it the memories of cruises long past that have us desiring to make more of those wonderful family memories? And why didn't we have that on NCL, or RCCL, or any other cruise we did together?

You are right Disney has embedded into the American psychic. It's long history of popping up everywhere even in war time ads has played a part.
The question is do people from other countries, either in other countries now or migrants living in America have that same mystical connection?
If anyone has any insight on this it would be interesting.

Great question! I don't have an answer but I have similar feelings. :love:
Agree with CamColt - no answer, but those exact feelings!

And in our situation, we didn’t do our first cruise/first DCL until I was in my twenties! So it wasn’t even like a sentimental thing for my Mom to see me and my brother on it when we were kids. And even to this day we refuse to cruise anyone but DCL! Maybe it’s the Kool-Aid, maybe it’s the magic, maybe it’s FOMO, maybe it’s a bit of all of it!

All I know is that one of my biggest weaknesses if not my biggest weakness still at the age of 31 is Disney. lol.

But I agree, great question! And fantastic marketing by Disney! Lol

So why do we prefer DCL? We don't have to worry about tiered eating or drinking or concierge experiences. We can ramble around without being 'exposed' to melt downs or short tempered families. The ships are maintained, clean, and the crew is happy to serve. The ships are easy to get to, easy to board, easy to disembark, provide return transpo. I can still remember my sister telling me they were lost in Milan and a nice local helped them find their way.

We are adult cruisers. We prefer to vacation without family, although we constantly get sucked into family vacations. We're not into gambling, although we finally experienced Bingo on our last DCL. We're not big eaters so the MDR is an accomplishment. We enjoy the pubs but we don't stay up late. I do the spa at home so the DCL spa prices are off-putting. Initially I tried a few spa treatments and no longer as I don't feel the experience generates the price. We get off in port and walk around. We ride the large flume. We'll catch a movie or browse the store. Mostly we enjoy sailing the sea with a drink in hand - coffee, water or alcohol - watching the color of the water change. We walk the ship and plant ourselves in the adult areas. DCL is so good at keeping the kids in the kids section. I will say, having just cruised Fantasy, the Wish does a much better job at sound control in the family area. We can watch the funnel vision on the Wish versus the Fantasy, Dream, Magic and Wonder where the sound level can be so high I can't hear the movie. We've only cruised 8 times and they've all been DCL. However both my sisters and my daughter have cruised other large cruise lines with the result being that none of them wish to redo the experience as they were all bored. We do prefer the 4D cruise, although our Fantasy cruise was 6D and we enjoyed every moment.

For me it was growing up with Disney. My wife and I went on our honeymoon at Walt Disney World over 30 years ago. We bought a Disney Vacation Club over 26 years ago. We loved Disney, we were even there this past weekend.
I quit my job and moved to Florida so I could work for Disney(not there anymore).

Then over time things changed. For my wife and I the parks are not what they used to be.

In 2001 we went on our first Disney Cruise. We fell in love with it. As DVC members we would go on cruises back when the points were still a good deal to use on the cruise. It was great 7 day cruise for $95 dollars. Yes we had to buy the Vacation Club and pay monthly maintenance fees but for us it was worth it, I wish it still was.
Over the last twenty three years we have been on thirteen, seven day Disney cruises with another Disney cruise planned for the future.

To us the cruise reminds us of the Disney we fell in love with over 30 years ago and for the most part it still does.
At one point we were doing two Disney cruises a year, and it got very expensive.

We have tried other cruises and we can do two other cruises for the price of one Disney cruise but we keep going back to Disney, for now. We do have a cruise planned with another cruise line next year.

In February 2020 we tried a new cruise line. We had a great time. We left February 29th and returned on March 7th. The week we got back we scheduled several cruises with that line for over the next year and a half. One week after we came home from that cruise the cruise industry shut down. All of the other cruises were canceled.

This was the view from our ship.
20200229_155756.jpg

As excited as we were to try something different I was a little sad. Disney was going the same places we were going we were just on another ship.

Fast forward to November 2022 and our first cruise back, was, you guessed it, Disney.

As of right now the cruise brings me back to the days I miss from the old Disney and lets hope it stays that way.

Eh, life happens! Jobs, graduations, weddings, relocations, and everything in between.

And a whole world that isn't just the Bahamas, Eastern or Western Caribbean, or Alaska. One goes out, explores, does things that are now just 2 people, but yet one can still say that, of any other cruise that has been experienced, DCL still holds a special place filled with fond memories, and no other cruise line feels the same.

I just find it interesting that my family still prefers it over any other option, and I don't really know what the special "thing" is on a DCL ship that has us wishing we were on it, but we have wonderful family memories made during Disney cruises.

But there is a whole world out there and DCL doesn't go everywhere we want to go. We still look back fondly.
DCL does go to a lot of places not just the Bahamas and Caribbean. it sounds more like you don’t think cruising is the best way to travel or you just don’t want to pay DCL prices for those itineraries. Either way is understandable.

Yup. I'm pretty sure we're Disney people more than we are cruise people. We have only done two cruises (with a number of cancelled/changed plans in addition to that). We are looking at Alaska next summer and I currently have the Wonder booked.

While I know other cruise lines offer the same or better itineraries for less cost, I just don't know if we can do it. The other ships don't look interesting to me - either too boring or way too much of all kinds of things (looking at you, RCCL). Friends that have done other cruise lines talk about using sea days for reading and playing board games... which I enjoy, but we can do that at home. I'd rather meet characters and go to Disney trivia/game shows.

Add in that we have a food allergy kid and the other lines have confusing dining options, and it's just hard to not stick with the product we already love.

We are Pearl on DCL and Diamond + on RCCL, and right now we are on the Oasis of the Seas with good friends who wanted a cruise together, and the Oasis was more convenient and a better price. They came with us on one short DCL cruise and the experience was not enough to get them to come again. This cruise did not require air far for either of us, and that was a factor as well.

My best way of explaining my feelings about DCL is that I smile a lot more on DCL than on other cruise lines. I absolutely love seeing the characters interact with me and others. I love DVC Member Cruises ( 10 so far, but skipping Barcelona next year). Its not the bling, I give most of it away, it’s the behind the scenes talks, but especially the entertainment that brings me back.

The Horns! How special are they?? On our first EBTA, in 2013, on the Magic, the Dream and the Fantasy came to CC and Saluted with their horns, and that was memorable, even to DH, who is definitely not into Disney as much as I am. We went on our first DCL cruise in 2004, for DH’s 60’th birthday, my idea.

We will probably not be doing many longer cruises in the future, but Merrytime and Halloween ones, definitely. We have a Treasure cruise booked, we enjoyed the DVC MC on the Wish, despite it not having HA pool in the adult section, that was disappointing!

I am on our veranda on the Oasis as I type this out. This morning we had a loyalty reception in the Aqua theater with synchronized swimming and diving demonstration, that’s special. Having a good time, but it’s not Disney, and for me, it’s not as good.

I think it appeals to me because it’s a kind id LARP-ing (live action role playing)—like when our family goes as elves and knights renaissance festival, or how others get really into Scottish or Irish festivals, or war reenactments. Disney cruises have their own costumes (pirate outfits one night, minnie ears and coordinated disney themed outfits other days). Heck even formal night gowns and tuxes is a kind of costume. They have the same kind of role playing—when you talk to characters, for example. And they have magical elements that create a sense of wonder—stage shows and main dining rooms with special effects, a grand lobby that feels like you are on an old ocean liner like the Titanic, fireworks, the new chandelier effects on the Wish. All of those elements: dressing up, role play and sense of wonder add up to create something that feels both immersive and transportive—an escape from the drudgery of day to day modern life.

I don’t get that vibe on other cruise ships. They are a nice floating hotel like a million hotels I have seen on boring work trips. They have with nice restaurants that are the same as a dozen restaurants in my hometown. They have shopping districts that look like a mall. And because they don’t add that fantastical element, I don’t feel that same special sense of escaping to another, more magical world for a few days.

Great thread. Still love walking on the ship, the scent, the activities, and the feeling that it's a little bit safer/cleaner than other lines. Was talking about which DCL cruise to take next with the family and asked DD(11) if she was excited to go to the Edge club. She surprised us and said we need to take one more before she turns 13 so she can do Oceaneer one more time. Even the kids relate that it's ok to stay young there.

And we love the parks, DVC for 7 years now. But my father and step mom dragged me on the first DCL cruise in 2018. Can you believe I didn't understand what I was going to do in the middle of the ocean for 7 days?! It's been four cruises and still haven't done everything. Hopefully with the new ships and coming new island we are set up for many more DCL vacations.

Great thread. Still love walking on the ship, the scent, the activities, and the feeling that it's a little bit safer/cleaner than other lines. Was talking about which DCL cruise to take next with the family and asked DD(11) if she was excited to go to the Edge club. She surprised us and said we need to take one more before she turns 13 so she can do Oceaneer one more time. Even the kids relate that it's ok to stay young there.

And we love the parks, DVC for 7 years now. But my father and step mom dragged me on the first DCL cruise in 2018. Can you believe I didn't understand what I was going to do in the middle of the ocean for 7 days?! It's been four cruises and still haven't done everything. Hopefully with the new ships and coming new island we are set up for many more DCL vacations.
My kid is 14 and it's delightful to bring her to anywhere Disney... she leaves the teenage grumpies behind (for the most part) and just enjoys herself. She's the one in our house who is most adamant that we need to stick with DCL versus the other lines. 💙

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter