DON'T GO TO DISNEY!! (not what you think)

When in May is he going? I am going the first 10 days. If he will be there, I will keep my eye out for Mr. Crankypants! :lmao:

He needs to let someone nanny his kids there so at least they have a good time for all of the $$ being spent.

Maybe what is making him so anti-Disney is something you or Bill don't even know about? Maybe it's how unreasonably expensive he thinks it is? Maybe he didn't grow up on Disney (I know I did not, barely knew who Mickey was my first time let alone a princess)? Maybe he did have a really bad experience?

Have you or your coworker talked to him enough to know what their "normal" vacations are? If its a relaxing week at the beach or camping or quick weekends to art museums? That's certainly different trhen Disney.

My DH is miserable spending money no matter what amount of pleasure it brings, it is just hard for him to do. I know this about him. It doesn't mean we don't go or do things, we just have to do them afforably so "Daddy isn't cranky" Yes, even my kids know. We all love him and he does take us places and he does spend money (and lots of it sometimes~see my siggie!)) but he is never the one to initiate that. Unless it is to secure "our future" somehow. We own a home, have a retirement plan and so on but that seems necessary in his mind. Could be Sam thinks like this?

Does he grouch about other things? And if so? How are they like a Disney trip? To involved? To long away? to tiring?

Gotta wonder WHY they are choosing to go to Disney? Just because the condo is there? Lots of stuff in and near Orlando to do. will they do some of that as well?

Are his wife and girls excited to go? Maybe that is the factor for going and they are all bugging him too much about it?

I do feel for the guy. He needs to focus on someone other then himself but maybe he's never had to (I know lots of wives who are enablers that way)?

Enjoy the fact that you have a great coworker and it sounds like life friend as you do socialize together, and just keep being positive when you can. But do speak freely to him about his girls enjoyment. Bring a book in for his girls (maybe the kids Birnham book) or some other little thing that would make their trip extra special or a nice treat (buy them some pins for trading?)?

Keep us posted, love to hear how this guy eventually learns to enjoy Disney for others if not himself.

The sad part here is its really not about Disney.
this is about a dad "sacrificing" for his kids. You know how many weekend days I missed time at home, watching TV or working in the yard or golfing with my buddies...to go to a Barney live show:headache:, 6 yr old birthday tea party or any type of event that probably wasnt on top of my to-do list.
But you know what, they were important to my kids and thats all that matters. As a dad of 3 who are now ages 13-19, it is unbelievable how quickly those "little kid" days go away....enjoy the time NOW

I could not agree more. My daughter is 13 now and sometimes I do miss those "little kid" days.

I haven't read all of this and I don't know the folks in question....but I DO know lots of folks who quietly vent to one person so that they CAN slap ona happy face during crunch time. Talk to anyone who works in the service industry, and you'll see what I mean.

Why, since this is a Disney website - there's even an number of websites where DISNEY EMPLOYEES can go to vent about Disney guests - er, us!

On the other hand.....if your firend is really going withthe negative attitude that you describe, then odds are he'll be a glass empty kind of guy the whole trip. Inside his head he'll be looking for the negative the entire time.

Perhaps your original advice holds considerable merit - or a form of it. Maybe one of the best thins your friend could do would be to have a few days during his vacation where he stays alone - and just lets the rest of the family go to the parks without him.

Sounds to me that he does not want to spend extra money and wants to make it a budget trip and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I also believe that Character Meals are waste or reather overpriced considering food selection. You can meet characters in the park for free, so tell him where to find them.
Rope drop is not an option for many people on vacation. Getting up that early just to pick some FPs and be first to ride Dumbo. I know it works but getting there later and getting FPs for later times also works. We do it every trip and ride everything we want and we do not wait in long lines.
Eating offsite, why not? If he will have a car, it is a good idea to drive 10 min somewhere and save money, he has a big family after all.
I think he is stressed about spending. Tell him about all the saving tips you know. His touring style will be different from yours but it does not mean it will not work. I will give him a credit, he does not like Disney and still wants to go for his kids and this is what counts after all.

-Not going to do a character meal, waste of money. Of course I told him, he has to do at least 1!! (and most of you guys know I hate buffets)

IMHO, a lot of people end up really stressing themselves out at Disney because they go in with a whole list of "Have Tos." My middle daughter was stressing out at first because her friends said she "had to" do this or that ride that didn't appeal to her at all -- I finally sat her down and told her the only things she "had to" do were things that she desperately wanted to do, and that she was only allowed a maximum of five "have tos" anyhow. Memory serves, her "have to dos" were the Pirates of Caribbean Ride, the Pirate Tutorial, Tom Sawyer Island, the Move It! Shake It! parade, and the monorail, none of which were on the "have to" lists her friends offered.

This guy clearly doesn't want to make rope drop, and he doesn't want to stress out about having to herd three kids around, so I'd recommend you encourage him to go in with the idea that they are NOT going to "do everything" or go for the "classic WDW experience" or whatever. People who don't like to do rope drop and don't like to rush can still have a good time, so long as they don't expect to get on many - or any - of the really popular rides. I'd tell him stuff like, "If there's a huge line for Dumbo, go for the Magic Carpet Ride instead." "Here's a list of rides that are easy to get on most of the time."

I'd also offer him the schedule for stuff like the Pirate Tutorial or the glass blowing or the Frontier Hoedown at the MK; Kim Possible and the Jammitors at Epcot; TamTams and GiTarDan at Animal Kingdom; Mulch, Sweat and Tears or the Characters in the Animation Courtyard or wherever at the Studios. Stuff that most people aren't looking for that doesn't cost extra and is kind of random, thus easier to access. A lot of people who "hate" WDW actually hate the crowds, the lines, the hustle and bustle, and/or the rides, so offer him another view of things.

Could be, he goes in with a "go with the flow" attitude, knowing how to find things his kids would enjoy that don't have a huge line and aren't a big hassle, he might find he actually likes the place. If not, maybe you could help him destress enough to enjoy his kids' enjoyment. :)

You know, he may change his mind when he gets there. My DH didn't want to go to WDW last year. I basically had to drag him to WDW. I threatened to leave him home.

Well, seeing WDW through the girls' eyes was great for him. He had a better time than he ever expected to have and we're going back in a few weeks. DH went there expecting to "pay his dues" and he came back asking to return to WDW. Is he obsessed with WDW like I am? No, but he thinks it is a great place to vacation as a family.

I'd simply ask him WHY don't you want to go? Is it because it's so expensive? Give hime some tips on saving money (breakfast in the room, share entrees etc) If he's not a morning person, tell him about the evening EMH. What are his interests?:confused3 Maybe he would enjoy a day of golf while Mom takes the girls to the parks. Or having dinner at the ESPN zone, or DQ.

I think the key here is to find the carrot, so to speak. :idea:Help him (or maybe you should just discreetly call his wife and see if she needs help planning, or if he's putting on a happy face for them) or her plan the trip so they ALL have something they enjoy. Like if he will agree to a Princess meet and greet, or character meal inthe morning, he gets to pick the afternoon activity, even if it IS going to the resort for a swim and a nap.

DH hates commando touring. After the 2nd day of our 1st trip, I realized that it should be fun for everyone. We plan together. We compromise. If we make rope drop and tour commando until 1, then after 1 he and the girls decide our course of action. Often, it's a swim and a break . Sometimes they want to stay and do a few "non must do" attractions.

Anyway, I hope you can help your friend get a little better outlook on the whole trip. :hug:His kids will love him for it and one day, not too far away, he'll have all those memories of that $#&%@^ WDW trip to smile about when the kids are grown up and out of the house.

One more thought - I'm not knocking any of your suggestions, I think they are great....but I sometimes find that when I talk to others about WDW they have very different preferences than I do.

I won't forget a conversation I once had with a WDW veteran who started by saying POR - my least favorite WDW resort - was his favorite. From there, almost all of his other favorites were essentially on my list of least favorites. His favorite dining places, his favorite attractions, etc.

It was rather amazing, but it reinforced to me that a trip to WDW is not a homogenous experience. Each visit is unique. That's part of why I keep going back. It's part of why we regualrly stay at different resorts, alter our dining plans, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter