Don't get Norovirus on your vacation!

Mommygenius

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,
Nothing would ruin your Disney Vacation faster than the whole family coming down with a vomiting/diarrhea illness. We hear news stories about outbreaks occurring on cruise ships and occasionally at Disney World. Please take precautions so this does not happen to you. It is very important that you learn how the "stomach flu" illnesses are spread so you can keep yourself and your family safe. I found a great website with all the information that you need to know. Please take the time to read it before your trip. I can't post a link here but it is www stopthestomachflu dot com.

Here is a quick summary from that website.

Stomach Flu Facts:

1. Symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea
2. It is caused by viruses. It is viral gastroenteritis and is not related to influenza (the real flu). The annual flu shot does NOT protect you against the stomach flu.
3. Millions of viruses are in poop, vomit, and possibly nasal secretions of a sick person.
4. Illness is spread when a few of these viruses get into someone else's mouth.
5. A person is contagious (still producing viruses) for at least 3 days after symptoms have stopped.
6. The viruses can live for weeks on surfaces.
7. Clean with chlorine bleach. Clorox® wipes and Lysol® wipes DO NOT kill these viruses.
8. Stay away from other people as much as possible while you are contagious.
9. People who have recently had a vomiting or diarrhea illness should NEVER swim in a public pool. Tiny specs of virus filled feces will be wisked away from their bottom and float in the pool until someone else gets a mouth full of water. Then that person will get sick.
10. Most importantly, wash your hands frequently! Don't let any of those viruses get into your mouth and you won't get sick!

Isn't it Seasonal?
is there a strain going around now?
It's always a good idea to have good hygiene,
I'm more concerned about the H1N1 flu right now.
Good hand washing can help with preventing that also.

My entire family got norovirus during Christmas a few years ago! There were 13 of us staying in my parents' house for the holidays and it hit 11 of us :sick: Including my 9 month old DD. We ended up spending 12 hours in the ER with her hooked up to an IV. It was HORRIBLE! Ughh your post just reminded me of that horrible Christmas. I could not imagine being at Disney with that :sad2:

Stomach bugs are going to be there pretty much anytime. People come from all over the world and bring it with them if that is what is in their region, just like you. As for being more concerned about one illness over another, you get what you get. It is never a good time to let your germ guard down in a public place. H1N1 does appear to be affected by alcohol based sanitizer. Bring it with you and use it. Stomach bugs do not (I have researched this extensively at school. It didn't work!). SO...wash your hands and then sanitize. STay away from sick people? Sure, but if you touchthe doorknob or handrail or any part of the ride, you are not doing that! Just handwash/sanitize and have fun!

9. People who have recently had a vomiting or diarrhea illness should NEVER swim in a public pool. Tiny specs of virus filled feces will be wisked away from their bottom and float in the pool until someone else gets a mouth full of water. Then that person will get sick.
:eek::sick::eek::sick::eek::sick:

Yuck!

Serenity (Julie) I am not sure where you live but we had the same thing hit us (in NJ) not this past Christmas but the one before. It was HORRIBLE. It started with my middle child on Christmas eve and made its way around my ENTIRE family, including my inlaws and my own parents as well as 2 of my 3 sisters who live near us. We couldn't get rid of it. A few people even got it twice. (which I didn't think was supposed to happen, but it did)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter