Don't do me any favors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by RNMOM
Also. to the poster who thoughtfully encluded all of the details of Maine's subsidized health care. You need to read it better. It covers children UNDER 18 or pregnant women. We also have it in Ohio and it's called Healthy Start. I'm afraid it wouldn't have helped here.

According to Deb's post it covers children 18 and under.

Yep, her symptoms SCREAM mono....

You know, my hospital now has a policy that NO ONE from registration is allowed to ask a patient for any insurance info until the pt has been evaluated and treated by the ER doc...

Hugs and get well wishes for CN.

Oh how horrible! So sorry you had to go through all of that. Glad that one hospital is on the ball and remembers why they are there in the first place. Hope Nikki is feeling even better now.

It is awful that you had to go through that. It makes me so mad that our own country allows this to happen to its own citizens. When I think of the billions of dollars being spent in other countries to better them and treat their illnesses, while people in our own country who pay taxes can't get the help they need. I don't mean to start a debate on this, but just letting my thoughts and anger flow.

By the way, I live in Maine and I know when I take my kids to the doctors for a strep test - the test only costs something like $18. That is what they bill the insurance company. What did this doc think, that $18 would be a high bill??? I don't think the tests required to find out what was wrong with your daughter, such as bloodwork and strep test would have been that high.

There was a time (2 years) when I was on the state medical system for low income families. I was a single mother going to college so that I can get a good job to support my family. Once I graduated, I got a job and got my own insurance. The point I am trying to make is that while I was on the system, they treated me like a 2nd class citizen when going to the doctors or the ER because they don't get the same amount of money from the state as they do from private insurance. It's just wrong.

My daughter wants to be a doctor when she grows up because she wants to help people. I can only hope that doesn't change when she gets older and she decides that money is more important.

Ok, my vent is done. I really hope your daughter feels better soon. I have never had mono, but I know it takes alot of out a person.

delswife, sorry to hear about Nikki--I hope she is feeling better soon!

jinxed, you are soooo right about those being on MaineCare/Medicare being treated as second class citizens. I work for Social Security/Personal Injury lawyer, and we see this all the time. Obviously with the SS cases, but in the PI cases, we will have medical providers who refuse to bill MaineCare and instead put a lien on the potential settlement--in hopes of getting the full amount of what they want to charge instead of what MaineCare will pay them. We recently lost a PI case, so now instead of getting paid, those medical providers will get zip (and the client will have a debt on their record that they have no ability to pay). We always send a letter to those providers laying out this possibility to them. But none of them ever choose to bill MaineCare instead, which causes a great deal of worry for clients who are already suffering. It drives me crazy.

Robin
I have to say that York Hospital is one of the best. My grandparents live in ME part time and when my grandfather found out he had cancer, they helped him a lot because they have very little insurance. (only because his company forced him to retire with only a couple of of years of paid insurance.) We here in FL sending big hugs.

Becca

Robin
I have to say that York Hospital is one of the best. My grandparents live in ME part time and when my grandfather found out he had cancer, they helped him a lot because they have very little insurance. (only because his company forced him to retire with only a couple of of years of paid insurance.) We here in FL sending big hugs.

Becca

the purpose of this thread was to bash Robin for not having insurance for her 18 year old daughter.

Robin - Like I said elsewhere - I'm so glad that Nikki finally got the treatment she deserved. There are many many 18 year olds who do not have insurance.

I totally disagree -- why send this to the newsaper? nothing bad happened to Nikki, thank goodness, she got the proper diagnosis. no unfortunate consequences, so no human interest story there. though it does illustrate the need for low cost insurance to be made available to people who can't otherwise afford it.
Are you for real? Nothing bad happened, true but what if it did? No unfortunate consequences? She had to suffer longer, did you not read the whole thread?

Robin

Just wanted to say Love Ya Mean it...and ignore those who decided to change the tone of this thread by bring opinions into this thread that didn't belong....

ZW

Originally posted by m&m's mom
Well, this is very unfortunate but I am afraid your anger is misplaced IMO. The anger should be at your frustration that you cannot provide all that is needed for your children.
Of course I am also the one who keeps $100,000 in stock readily available in case any of us ever need a transplant. I may be going too far.
Hope your DD is getting better.

I would start searching for the best brain transplant doctor ASAP!

Robin, I hope all works out for you and your family. Thank you for the great contributions you have made here and other places.

Kevin

yes, I read the entire thread.

a newspaper wouldn't care unless something truly awful happened. fortunately nothing truly awful happened. a newspaper isn't going to care that Nikki was still sick and feverish the next day and had to go back to a second doctor the next day because the first one merely gave her an antibiotic and sent her on her way. if, G-d forbid, something terrible had happened because ehr liver was swollen and the doctor failed to detect it, then the newspapers would be interested.

Continued good thoughts going out to you and your family Robin. And an extra {{{{HUGS}}}} for both you and Nikki.
:sunny:

Hi,Robin:

First of all I want to say I hope you and your Nikki are okay.

The last statistic I heard said over 41 million Americans are without healthcare. So you are far from alone.

When I lost my job last year all I could do was pray that neither one of us would get sick or hurt. After awhile I was able to get my son on Peachcare, which is Georgia's version of healthcare for lower income families. I still don't have any...:(

Meanwhile, after working 22 years I am still in search of a full time job with benefits, which, shockingly enough, is next to impossible to find these days. I am working temporarily until I can get back on my feet, and pray that that will happen very soon.

All that said, I am saddened that your feelings were hurt on this thread. I have been in your position before, which is why I rarely post ANYTHING of a personal nature here anymore. I posted this because I just wanted you to know I understand where you are. People who don't know you have the right to judge and condemn you without knowing the full story, and you, as an already broken being, has to be put into the position of explaining yourself. If only people would PM their suggestions instead of taking pride in being "right" on the board, your feelings could've been spared.

God bless and give Nikki a hug for us here....

Robinrs--- your namesake!

Robin,

First let me say that I am extremely glad that CN is on her way to recovery. I am very happy that you are both doing better. I must also say that this has been an experience for me.

I read the OP and got hopping mad at the lack of action taken by the first doctor at thr ER. Having lost a dear loved one due to an ER doctor blowing her off and sending her home to take Tylenol for the pain from a subdural hematoma that killed her 5 days later, I can understand your frustration.

I was glad to see that (at least initially) you were getting the support and comments from your friends here at the DIS that I have grown to expect from this crowd.

Then starts the debate and accusations. I have gotten very mad again. Just the thought that these people cannot find in themselves the common courtesy to show concern and support for one of our members without personal attacks and being so judgemental makes me ill.

I hope that your hurt feelings will get better, along with you and CN, and that you will continue to share with us your glorious wit, and ability to provide enjoyment through your captivating story telling.

I can also hope that all you folks who are so quick to attack and be so cruel to a 'friend' at a time of need should just remember that you will reap what you have sown. Some day, when you are down and looking for some comfort and support, I hope that you get what you clearly deserve.

Sorry for tha diatribe, but attacking my friends makes me angry. You won't like me when I am angry.

::yes::

This thread is really peeving me. I have a few choice words for the condescending "well, I nevers" who are insinuating that Robin is a crappy mom for not providing insurance. If this were real life, and you said that to someone in her situation face to face, you would probably get your teeth knocked down your throat. (Of course, you would have your fabulous dental insurance to cover the cost of replacements.) The relative anonymity of an internet message board seems to make some of us forget our manners and how to be decent to each other.

Back to Nikki...

Did you accuse her of smooching too much and catching mono that way?!? When I had it at 18, my boyfriend's mom sent him to my house with a note taped to his shirt that said "Don't Kiss Me!"

I am surprised that the ER doc even knew Nikki didn't have insurance. I work for a large ER group and because of EMTALA (the federal requirement that mandates ER's screen all patient's irregardless of their ability to pay) my doc's do not even know if a patient has insurance or not. I agree with the other posters that only want to wish Nikki a full and speedy recovery. With the ever increasing cost of health insurance premiums I can fully understand how difficult it has become to be able to afford coverage. I would encourage you to write a letter to the first hospital's ER group expressing your displeasure, patient complaints are usually taken very seriously by the physician group.

Good Luck!

Please check out the links I posted

http://www.maine.gov/governor/baldacci/healthpolicy/launching_dirigo_health/dirigo_plan.htm

http://www.maine.gov/governor/baldacci/healthpolicy/dirigo_brochure1_web.pdf

An affordable price – monthly costs as low as $260 for a single adult and $780 for a family of four
Discounts up to 40% of monthly payments for those under 300% FPL - $28,000/single adult and $56,500/family of four
Discounts on deductibles and out of pocket maximums for those under 300% FPL.

If you qualify for a discount... it might be less than 600- / month

-----
Is Nikki on the mend, now?

Originally posted by Briar Rose 7457
yes, I read the entire thread.

a newspaper wouldn't care unless something truly awful happened. fortunately nothing truly awful happened. a newspaper isn't going to care that Nikki was still sick and feverish the next day and had to go back to a second doctor the next day because the first one merely gave her an antibiotic and sent her on her way. if, G-d forbid, something terrible had happened because ehr liver was swollen and the doctor failed to detect it, then the newspapers would be interested.

With all due respect, how do you know about what a newspaper in Maine may or may not be interested? For one example, perhaps there have been other complaints about the same facility and they have an article in the works?

In GENERAL, you may be correct, but it's not as absolute as you'd make it out to be.

At any rate, get well Nikki...and if you still sound "Fudd-like" I might use you for my answering machine message! :)

How dare anyone suggest that Robin, or anyone else in her position, does not properly care for her children! It's so easy to judge people when you are holding your precious insurance card. I did not grow up wealthy. My mom was a single parent. Dad left us when I was 6 years old and took his insurance with him ( did not want to pay "extra" to have me covered under his policy after the divorce). My mom had to find a job quick and for a couple of years, we went without insurance. You will never be able to convince me that I was neglected and not properly taken care of. Of course, if mom would have stayed home and just accepted welfare, we'd be fully covered.

The healthcare policy in this country stinks to high heaven! It is time for reform.

BTW, give my best to Commando Nikki! She is my favorite "character";) from your trip report saga. Congrats on her graduation, as well.

First off I loved reading your trip reports. You truly have a gift.

I've read this entire thread and am amazed at the attacks about Robin not having insurance. That was not the point of her story. She was upset (and rightly so) at the treatment her daughter received. It should not matter whether she has insurance or not she should be treated, period, end of story.

I did have to laugh though about asking Nikki what happened at the hospital the first time she went. I have an almost 18 year DS and getting details is like pulling teeth.

I do hope that Nikki (and you) feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter