Don't cancel your vacations yet!!!

Thanks for starting this thread!

We just bought APs and have been so excited to plan 4 TRIPS THIS YEAR!

First is in about 10 days for DD's 4th bday - total surprise for her. We are going to hit MNSSHP, F&W, and MVMCP there this year. All the threads talking about the apocalyptic changes FP+ has brought about seriously were getting me down causing me to not come on the boards as often as I would previously.

As a PP stated, WDW is so much more for us than umpteen rides on any certain ride. Heck, we are so busy that we rarely do repeats because there is just way too much else to do, characters to see, restaurants to eat, resort enjoyment, etc. If WDW was only about rides, I'd never spend the money we do to go. It's a fantasy immersion for us...for those few days, we are all kids and do whatever we want....little rules and a lot of fun! It's a wonderful escape from our regimented lives and I am itching to use our new MBs! BTW - FP+ has really opened our touring plans and strategy...I'm looking forward to it!

I'm so excited to know that I'll get to ride the headliners without having to traipse all over the parks trying to get fast passes, worrying about the 2 hour window and dealing with fastpasses being gone for the day! I can schedule meals around my fastpass times instead of the other way around and I can actually ride TSM for the first time in 5 trips.

I'll be there in about 2 1/2 weeks and again this summer and I can't wait to try this new system out!! Maybe with all of the controversy the parks will be empty.

Maybe with all of the controversy the parks will be empty.

I'm starting to think this might be the biggest positive of all! If there really are THAT many people dissatisfied with FP+ then the "heavy crowds" that everyone keeps mentioning won't be an issue. In fact, Universal will likely have those crowds based on the number of posters here that seem to be switching over! :rolleyes1

In all seriousness, if someone's vacationing style is turned on its head by this change then it does make sense to go elsewhere. And those of us that actually like this change will benefit from that :thumbsup2

bumping back to the first page.

What are the things you love about Disney that keep you coming back despite recent changes?

Honestly, I am a hyper planner. Have been since my little girl's school system turned us into "peak season people." Up until then I was convinced that the only way to have a wonderful Disney vacation was to go during the slowest season.

WDW has always been in slow season, and at first, so was DL. Then we started going to DL during GASP busy times, spring break, weekends, summer, you name it.

Boy, was I surprised to learn that we had JUST AS MUCH FUN going when we could, during the school breaks. We just had to plan every little detail. (And by we, I mean ME.)

So when we (and by we, I mean ME) started planning our early June WDW vacation, I was ready to hyper plan. And unlike so many others, I was thrilled with the concept of Fast Pass +. "But who the heck knows what rides you'll want to ride on what day 60 days in advance?" Uh, I DO.

I can totally see that laid back people will hate this system. But I predict that this is going to work wonderfully for us. (And by us, I mean...okay, I'll stop now.)

A hot, crowded, rainy day at Walt Disney World is better than a picture perfect calm day anywhere else on earth. Except maybe Disneyland.

My recent trip to parks in December of 2013 was one of the most magical yet. I used fastpass plus and loved it. Believe me, I was not looking forward to it when I first heard about it. I had no problems obtaining fastpasses for rides I wanted. I was even able to change them at the time they were scheduled for a time that worked better, as we often get distracted by food, performers, food, etc.:) The think I like most about fastpass was I actually was able to get a fastpass for Toy Story Mania before 6pm and I didn't have to get to the park a rope drop and fight the running of the bulls towards the fastpass machines!!!

Now, off the famous fast pass plus topic. I have to say, I haven't seen the castmembers as excited or engaging in a long time. Not they they were ever bad, but It seemed in the last 3 or 4 years that maybe the magic had dwindled for them a little. BTW...shout out to Ally on the Jingle Cruise. We had more than one conversation during our trip about Ally and that she was the best Jungle/Jingle Cruise captain we've ever had!

In a few weeks, I'll be taking my dancers down for a competition. My girls are between 5 and 7. I can't wait to share the magic through their eyes. So, keep the positivity flowing!:cool1:

hello neighbor!!!!! great thread!!!! we were down in may.june.september and December last year. if you need someone to carry your bags for you in ten days let me know!! :lmao: I have to laugh for years I have been hearing and reading about the old fp system. rope drop, fighting for a fp and if your not at toy story by 10am the fps are gone. now.......... they change the system and there still complaining. :lmao:
my dd, who just graduated from the Disney college program danced twice at wdw. both in the mk!!!! both stages are now gone but she had a ball.
she worked in out door food in the mk and after a few weeks of work, she knew all the dances in the parades. :lmao:
have a great time and well keep your driveway shoveled while your gone!! :thumbsup2

hello neighbor!!!!! great thread!!!! we were down in may.june.september and December last year. if you need someone to carry your bags for you in ten days let me know!! :lmao: I have to laugh for years I have been hearing and reading about the old fp system. rope drop, fighting for a fp and if your not at toy story by 10am the fps are gone. now.......... they change the system and there still complaining. :lmao:
my dd, who just graduated from the Disney college program danced twice at wdw. both in the mk!!!! both stages are now gone but she had a ball.
she worked in out door food in the mk and after a few weeks of work, she knew all the dances in the parades. :lmao:
have a great time and well keep your driveway shoveled while your gone!! :thumbsup2

Hello Neighbor!

I've been teaching dance for a long time and when I originally took my dance girls down in 2000 and 2001, we danced at the outdoor stages in the MK too. Wish they were still there!
LOL..the way things have been, I thing we'll need a full out plow to keep driveways clear these days. I think the shovel may be buried under the 20+ inches of snow.

:goodvibes

Hello Neighbor!

I've been teaching dance for a long time and when I originally took my dance girls down in 2000 and 2001, we danced at the outdoor stages in the MK too. Wish they were still there!
LOL..the way things have been, I thing we'll need a full out plow to keep driveways clear these days. I think the shovel may be buried under the 20+ inches of snow.

:goodvibes

:thumbsup2 my dd danced for 15 years from age three to eighteen. still dances at nacc and is coaching the ironettes again this year. she did the ironettes last year till may when she left for the college program.
all those years of comps. and if a had a nickel for every pair of pointe shoes (not to mention the $350 tap shoes ) I paid for I would be retired by now. :lmao: I didn't miss a comp. or recital in 15 years.

:thumbsup2 my dd danced for 15 years from age three to eighteen. still dances at nacc and is coaching the ironettes again this year. she did the ironettes last year till may when she left for the college program.
all those years of comps. and if a had a nickel for every pair of pointe shoes (not to mention the $350 tap shoes ) I paid for I would be retired by now. :lmao: I didn't miss a comp. or recital in 15 years.

:thumbsup2. That's great for her. I tried to step away from dance at times.....but never could. If you love it, you'll never give it up.
Although, you're right..for the amount of money in costumes and shoes...you probably could have funded fastpass plus yourself...:rotfl2:

First, I have to say that I love this thread. :love:

Second, for the people who hate FP+ (or just the idea of FP+)...It is quite apparent to me (and had never occurred to me before) that for some, Disney is "just a theme park" and they only go to ride, ride, ride as many rides as possible in as little time as possible. If you are using 6-7 FP per day, then yes, FP+ sucks for you. I acknowledge that.

But, for our family (and we are very experienced Disney goers), FP+ has absolutely zero influence on future trips...and we've got a couple planned of course. :laughing:

For us, Disney is the whole experience. I am happy on the bus, listening to the announcements, the music. Just knowing we are at our happy place. I am just as happy shopping in the stores on Main Street as I am riding Space Mountain.
I am happy sitting on a sidewalk at the parks snacking on my favorite Disney treats. Sometimes we sit on benches and just people watch and talk to each other.

What our annual trips mean to us, is that we get 11 days out of the year, that we know that we get to be together the whole time just enjoying each other. :cloud9::cloud9:

We are an extremely close family, but work, school and all of our other activities and sports make our time together in everyday life very short. At Disney, it's all about us, our family. You know why a one hour ride line doesn't bother us??? Because in those ride lines, we have had some of our best conversations and funniest moments. It doesn't matter that we are standing in line, we are happy to be together.

We barely used FP- before, just didn't work with our touring style (very laid back). And we have always ridden what we want, when we want. Even during busy times. I think those that are mad, simply won't ride without a FP. Just because we don't hate FP+ doesn't mean we like only riding 3 rides a day...we personally have never just ridden 3 rides a day. We do many more than that, and will continue to do so.

Again, I understand why the super users are mad, as this greatly disrupts their touring style...but as always, I am sure someone will find a way to adapt.

For us, we will continue to enjoy our family time at our favorite place on earth. For us, it's not "just a theme park"...it's Disney. :goodvibes

First, I have to say that I love this thread. :love: Second, for the people who hate FP+ (or just the idea of FP+)...It is quite apparent to me (and had never occurred to me before) that for some, Disney is "just a theme park" and they only go to ride, ride, ride as many rides as possible in as little time as possible. If you are using 6-7 FP per day, then yes, FP+ sucks for you. I acknowledge that. But, for our family (and we are very experienced Disney goers), FP+ has absolutely zero influence on future trips...and we've got a couple planned of course. :laughing: For us, Disney is the whole experience. I am happy on the bus, listening to the announcements, the music. Just knowing we are at our happy place. I am just as happy shopping in the stores on Main Street as I am riding Space Mountain. I am happy sitting on a sidewalk at the parks snacking on my favorite Disney treats. Sometimes we sit on benches and just people watch and talk to each other. What our annual trips mean to us, is that we get 11 days out of the year, that we know that we get to be together the whole time just enjoying each other. :cloud9::cloud9: We are an extremely close family, but work, school and all of our other activities and sports make our time together in everyday life very short. At Disney, it's all about us, our family. You know why a one hour ride line doesn't bother us??? Because in those ride lines, we have had some of our best conversations and funniest moments. It doesn't matter that we are standing in line, we are happy to be together. We barely used FP- before, just didn't work with our touring style (very laid back). And we have always ridden what we want, when we want. Even during busy times. I think those that are mad, simply won't ride without a FP. Just because we don't hate FP+ doesn't mean we like only riding 3 rides a day...we personally have never just ridden 3 rides a day. We do many more than that, and will continue to do so. Again, I understand why the super users are mad, as this greatly disrupts their touring style...but as always, I am sure someone will find a way to adapt. For us, we will continue to enjoy our family time at our favorite place on earth. For us, it's not "just a theme park"...it's Disney. :goodvibes

My wife and I had a very similar conversation and we feel the same way!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

First, I have to say that I love this thread. :love: Second, for the people who hate FP+ (or just the idea of FP+)...It is quite apparent to me (and had never occurred to me before) that for some, Disney is "just a theme park" and they only go to ride, ride, ride as many rides as possible in as little time as possible. If you are using 6-7 FP per day, then yes, FP+ sucks for you. I acknowledge that. But, for our family (and we are very experienced Disney goers), FP+ has absolutely zero influence on future trips...and we've got a couple planned of course. :laughing: For us, Disney is the whole experience. I am happy on the bus, listening to the announcements, the music. Just knowing we are at our happy place. I am just as happy shopping in the stores on Main Street as I am riding Space Mountain. I am happy sitting on a sidewalk at the parks snacking on my favorite Disney treats. Sometimes we sit on benches and just people watch and talk to each other. What our annual trips mean to us, is that we get 11 days out of the year, that we know that we get to be together the whole time just enjoying each other. :cloud9::cloud9: We are an extremely close family, but work, school and all of our other activities and sports make our time together in everyday life very short. At Disney, it's all about us, our family. You know why a one hour ride line doesn't bother us??? Because in those ride lines, we have had some of our best conversations and funniest moments. It doesn't matter that we are standing in line, we are happy to be together. We barely used FP- before, just didn't work with our touring style (very laid back). And we have always ridden what we want, when we want. Even during busy times. I think those that are mad, simply won't ride without a FP. Just because we don't hate FP+ doesn't mean we like only riding 3 rides a day...we personally have never just ridden 3 rides a day. We do many more than that, and will continue to do so. Again, I understand why the super users are mad, as this greatly disrupts their touring style...but as always, I am sure someone will find a way to adapt. For us, we will continue to enjoy our family time at our favorite place on earth. For us, it's not "just a theme park"...it's Disney. :goodvibes

I love this reply. I know lots of people don't agree, as you say. They're there for the rides and I get why they're upset. Only 3 FP's? Yeah, can be crappy. Really depends on your family. My boys will be 8 & 10 for our upcoming August trip and won't care how many rides we do. FP+ will allow us to ride our faves without stressing, then we'll see how it goes. Walk around, have snacks, go back to the pool. As corny as it sounds, we're just happy to be there. Please don't anyone yell at me for that. As I said, I understand and agree to some extent with the disappointment some feel and maybe when our boys are teens and it's ALL about the rides 3 FP+'s will be a problem, but for this trip I think we'll be okay. I'm sorry it's messing up the trip for others.

BTW, MouseMommy, we'll be at GF RPC Aug 17-21, then CR until 24. Good luck with getting your ADR's tomorrow. We're Tuesday!

I love this reply. I know lots of people don't agree, as you say. They're there for the rides and I get why they're upset. Only 3 FP's? Yeah, can be crappy. Really depends on your family. My boys will be 8 & 10 for our upcoming August trip and won't care how many rides we do. FP+ will allow us to ride our faves without stressing, then we'll see how it goes. Walk around, have snacks, go back to the pool. As corny as it sounds, we're just happy to be there. Please don't anyone yell at me for that. As I said, I understand and agree to some extent with the disappointment some feel and maybe when our boys are teens and it's ALL about the rides 3 FP+'s will be a problem, but for this trip I think we'll be okay. I'm sorry it's messing up the trip for others.

BTW, MouseMommy, we'll be at GF RPC Aug 17-21, then CR until 24. Good luck with getting your ADR's tomorrow. We're Tuesday!

Oh nice!!!!! Our kids are the same age, maybe well run into each other at the pool!! We are Sugarloaf 16-26. Can't wait!!!

And I absolutely agree with what you said. And I know not everyone feels the same way. I'm excited to be able to get 3 FP's, we never pulled that many before, lol!!! :rotfl:

I just got back from my 3rd Annual Solo Trip, 2/6-2/12, and I had my usual awesome time.

Now, I know I have a HUGE advantage over a lot of guests: I'm on my own, don't have to consider anyone else's wants, don't have to deal with various ages in the group, trying to keep everyone happy, linking in MDE, split stays, etc.

I'm just one pretty flexible person on one reservation in one resort. I also have the great advantage of being able to go in a low crowd season, and I'm an out-of-shape middle-aged lady who skips the more extreme headliners. I park hop, and the only attractions I insist on doing more than once are TSM and Star Tours. That said:

Magic Band was awesome! Not one glitch, worked like a charm for DME, room entry, park entry, FP+ entry, TS, CS, purchases... I wasn't sure I would like wearing the band, but I got comfortable with it pretty quickly (so much so that I felt "naked" when I was at the airport to go home and didn't have it on!).

FP+ worked for my touring style. The only thing I would have done but missed this time was "Soarin'" - because I spent my one Epcot rope drop in line for Anna & Elsa (got lucky to be there on a day they started at 9 am; totally worth it) and I wanted to use my FP+ that day for pm at DHS so I could do TSM again. One more FP+ at MK would be nice (would have wanted one for Splash if it had been open). Overall, crowds were very manageable. On Tuesday I was shocked to luck onto a 20 minute wait for Peter Pan around 9:40 am, and 20 min at BTMRR closer to noon.

MDE app was good for checking wait times; that was really about all I used it for.

Before this becomes a trip report, I just want to give a shout-out to the CM friends of the characters who are so totally awesome. If you are an adult and shy about meeting characters - don't be! I had lots of great encounters, including as a silly solo lady at H&V breakfast. (All were great, but Doc McStuffins was an absolute sweetheart, loved her!)

Oops, meant to add - addressing a couple of concerns I had before the trip after reading some other folks' experiences here:
I did not deal with any cranky CMs - I know that's because I didn't have any problems, but pretty much everyone I encountered was at least courteous and the majority were pleasant. The cranky guests I was aware of were parents dealing with their kids (nothing awful, just the usual stand here, stop that, don't touch your sister...)
As a solo, I was never crammed into a ride with others. Anything with a ride vehicle intended for one party (Pan, HM, Buzz, Teacups, etc) I had a vehicle to myself. Had seats to myself on TSM, BTMRR, Pooh (another party in the "back seat" of the Pot), etc. Had a row to myself on Small World, Maelstrom, Gran Fiesta (didn't do POTC this trip). On the Safari, shared a row with another couple, but plenty of room. The "cramming guests in" thread I think was a product of the crowded holiday season, and YMMV, but I had no problems.

First, I have to say that I love this thread. :love:

Second, for the people who hate FP+ (or just the idea of FP+)...It is quite apparent to me (and had never occurred to me before) that for some, Disney is "just a theme park" and they only go to ride, ride, ride as many rides as possible in as little time as possible. If you are using 6-7 FP per day, then yes, FP+ sucks for you. I acknowledge that.

But, for our family (and we are very experienced Disney goers), FP+ has absolutely zero influence on future trips...and we've got a couple planned of course. :laughing:

For us, Disney is the whole experience. I am happy on the bus, listening to the announcements, the music. Just knowing we are at our happy place. I am just as happy shopping in the stores on Main Street as I am riding Space Mountain.
I am happy sitting on a sidewalk at the parks snacking on my favorite Disney treats. Sometimes we sit on benches and just people watch and talk to each other.

What our annual trips mean to us, is that we get 11 days out of the year, that we know that we get to be together the whole time just enjoying each other. :cloud9::cloud9:

We are an extremely close family, but work, school and all of our other activities and sports make our time together in everyday life very short. At Disney, it's all about us, our family. You know why a one hour ride line doesn't bother us??? Because in those ride lines, we have had some of our best conversations and funniest moments. It doesn't matter that we are standing in line, we are happy to be together.

We barely used FP- before, just didn't work with our touring style (very laid back). And we have always ridden what we want, when we want. Even during busy times. I think those that are mad, simply won't ride without a FP. Just because we don't hate FP+ doesn't mean we like only riding 3 rides a day...we personally have never just ridden 3 rides a day. We do many more than that, and will continue to do so.

Again, I understand why the super users are mad, as this greatly disrupts their touring style...but as always, I am sure someone will find a way to adapt.

For us, we will continue to enjoy our family time at our favorite place on earth. For us, it's not "just a theme park"...it's Disney. :goodvibes

:thumbsup2 very nice!!!! you are not alone!!! after all these years and trips we have made. watching our only dd live her dream of working in the magic kingdom, sitting on all the benches and eating in just about every place to eat, theres not much that would keep us away. there are a lot of people who "just don't get it". :sad1: we spend at least 20 nights per year and if I don't get on peter pan this trip, ill hit it next trip.
Iam willing to bet the majority of the people soooooo worked up and life is over as we know it are the people who abused the old system and found loop holes to get around the system. my self and my family have enjoyed the place and have many years of memories and will continue to do so.:thumbsup2

Headed down on Friday. Super excited and happy to see a thread with optimism posted. Will be glad to add that for us the magic is in the hearts & eyes of our children. A short line is nice but the amazement of our kids...that's the good stuff. Gasps of joy the first time you go over the top of splash mountain. Stares of wonder & amazement as you gaze at the biggest bestest fireworks show ever. Laughter when a character tickles them or a street performer cracks a joke. The tall walk of pride after driving the jungle cruise or defeating Darth Vader in Jedi Training. The breathless hug as you arrive one minute before closing at the standby for mission space after running across the park for one last ride. Nothing can replace those moments or steal them away. And I wouldn't trade those moments for all the fast passes in the world.

I just got back from my 3rd Annual Solo Trip, 2/6-2/12, and I had my usual awesome time.

Now, I know I have a HUGE advantage over a lot of guests: I'm on my own, don't have to consider anyone else's wants, don't have to deal with various ages in the group, trying to keep everyone happy, linking in MDE, split stays, etc.

I'm just one pretty flexible person on one reservation in one resort. I also have the great advantage of being able to go in a low crowd season, and I'm an out-of-shape middle-aged lady who skips the more extreme headliners. I park hop, and the only attractions I insist on doing more than once are TSM and Star Tours. That said:

Magic Band was awesome! Not one glitch, worked like a charm for DME, room entry, park entry, FP+ entry, TS, CS, purchases... I wasn't sure I would like wearing the band, but I got comfortable with it pretty quickly (so much so that I felt "naked" when I was at the airport to go home and didn't have it on!).

FP+ worked for my touring style. The only thing I would have done but missed this time was "Soarin'" - because I spent my one Epcot rope drop in line for Anna & Elsa (got lucky to be there on a day they started at 9 am; totally worth it) and I wanted to use my FP+ that day for pm at DHS so I could do TSM again. One more FP+ at MK would be nice (would have wanted one for Splash if it had been open). Overall, crowds were very manageable. On Tuesday I was shocked to luck onto a 20 minute wait for Peter Pan around 9:40 am, and 20 min at BTMRR closer to noon.

MDE app was good for checking wait times; that was really about all I used it for.

Before this becomes a trip report, I just want to give a shout-out to the CM friends of the characters who are so totally awesome. If you are an adult and shy about meeting characters - don't be! I had lots of great encounters, including as a silly solo lady at H&V breakfast. (All were great, but Doc McStuffins was an absolute sweetheart, loved her!)

:thumbsup2 glad you had a nice trip!!!! I love seeing the shout outs for the cm. I have a new respect for the cms. I never realized what most of these people deal with on a daily bases. my dd had a guy in front of his wife and kids call her a *&^&**( (**&& (you wouldn't believe me if I told you) because "his band didn't work". well, it wasn't his band. it was the reader. he then threw the money at her when he couldn't charge his $4 purchase.
if you ever run into a cm that just made your trip, go into the parks guest services, city hall in the mk and have them fill out a four key card for that cm. it looks really good for the cm and they will be noticed for it. all you need is there name and location. they also love having there picture taken with you. they are a special group of people.
keep the magic! :thumbsup2

We LOVE LOVE LOVE FP+! Have been during Free Dining, New Years Week , September, and loved it so much, we again got APs after several years without. (Keep in mind, we are a 24 hour drive away!

We loved the old FP- system, but find the new one so much more touring friendly. After more than 40 yrs touring WDW, some of the pros are:
Getting Hard to get FP (TSMM, Soarin', etc) The "I used to get 8-10 a day people rarely mention the Sold out situation)
Not traversing over the parks to pick up FP
Knowing the time in advance
BEING ABLE TO CHANGE THE TIMES!!!
Even easier ability to park hop!!

BANDS BANDS BANDS!!!- Tickets, Water parks, room keys, DDP, Shopping! How great is this!

We did a spontaneous trip during one of the busiest times of year, rode everything multiple times!!! I could go on, but when I do, the naysayers state I must not be using them right!:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter