DIS Veteran
Hi

I notice this is on offer on blue Friday

Has anyone done this please

Do you get to touch the dolphin

Any info would be appreciated

Thank you :goodvibes

We did this tour last Friday the 21st.

The tour starts at the dolphin nursery. You get to watch as a few of the animal keepers come out to feed the dolphins and do some tricks/training with them. Instead of standing in the public area, you stand on the other side of the nursery where there is no fence between you and the pool (you still have to stay about 5 feet away from the edge of the pool).

You can get a nice view of what the trainers do in this area and you are closer to the dolphins as they come up to get fish, but it is otherwise not very interactive. During our tour, we only had a total of seven people (three adults and four kids), so they let each one of us throw a fish into the pool at the very end. They said this is not always a part of the tour.

We stopped by the bathrooms on our way over to the other dolphin feeding area to wash the fish smell off our hands.

We then walked over to Dolphin Cove and got to go right down to where others would usually be doing the dolphin feeding experience. The area was not crowded and our tour of 7 split into two smaller groups each with a dolphin and a trainer. The trainer showed us some of the hand signals and the dolphin made sounds and did various tricks. During this time, the dolphin swims up to the wall and you are invited to touch the dolphin on its back. There were two photographers for each of our groups, so there were a LOT of pictures available. I think you can purchase all your digital pictures for the day for something around $60 and there are other various less expensive options too.

We did this tour because my daughter LOVES dolphins and we wanted her to have a chance to get close to one before our day at Discovery Cove (she is very timid and we wanted her to have a chance to see them up close first before getting in the water with a dolphin). However, in hindsight, I think we could have skipped it and just done the dolphin feeding instead for the same purpose.

If you are NOT doing Discovery Cove, I would recommend this tour for anyone who likes dolphins since we felt we had time to ask questions, it didn't feel rushed, and you get to touch the dolphin (I don't think you get to do that with the typical dolphin feeding experience at Dolphin Cove). If you ARE doing Discovery Cove, then just skip this tour since the time at Discovery Cove is a lot more interactive.

My daughter doesn't like rides (at all!), so we did this tour and the Penguin tour on the same day. I liked this tour a whole lot more than the penguin tour and would recommend this one, especially for the buy-one-get-one free offer. It made the day special.

My words of advice:

1. I recommend the early tour at 9:30. The trainers said this is the best tour since the dolphins are most active for the first tour. Also, a lot of the shows at SeaWorld don't seem to start until after 11 AM, so when you do an early tour you can still make it numerous shows.

2. This is a good tour if you have someone with mobility challenges. My husband uses a mobility scooter and he was able to bring it with him and only had to walk around 50 feet at each location and then stand for 10 minutes or so at a time. On the penguin tour, we had to leave it pretty far from the penguin exhibit and had to walk/stand for the entire 45 minute tour. He made it, but for some, that might be too much.

I did a few months ago! Here are some pictures. It was a fun tour, but the Beluga Interaction Program blows it away, so I'd suggest that one more (way more). I did have a good time on this one though, it's just way less in depth I felt. It seemed more for little kids, all the small children on our tour (and there were a lot) loved it. We felt kind of out of place as two adults during the group parts.

ohobnk.jpg

2e573bo.jpg

You will love this tour. It was the first one I ever did at the park. Make sure you purchase the photo CD or at least some of the photos. Its such a special moment to cherish. Have a good time with it

Surprised my kids (DD12 & DS13) with the Dolphin Close Up Tour November 16th.... HIGHLY recommend. My kids (and DH & I) LOVED it and so worth the money IMO. There were 14 people in our tour group - 1st part of tour everyone is together, 2nd part of tour at dolphin cove they paired us up with 1 trainer per family/group. We were not paired up with anyone else.

I had planned on buying the photo CD before we left and ended up getting (3) 5x7's in frames and the disk of 36 photos for I think $59.99. I strongly suggest at least viewing the photos their photographers take if not buy the disc. While I was taking pictures the whole time, it was their pictures that really got the "family" shots and much better vantage point as they are across the pool taking photos - don't forget to look up at them for the "posed" pictures so you can get some great shots.

You start out in the nursery where they show you how they train the dolphins, introduce you to the younger dolphins, you get a chance to do a "throw in" feeding - you get a couple fish and everyone tosses them into the pool at about the same time. Then you all walk to the dolphin cove where you are paired up with a trainer & a dolphin (we ended up with 2 because the dolphin next to us decided he would rather stay with Oscar - our assigned dolphin - was AWESOME!) Here the trainers go through a mini training session where they show you various hand signals they use to do things. There were many hands on moments - feel the tail, smooth the back of the dolphin, hand under the jaw area. Our trainer let the kids touch the dolphins for ALOT of the time we were together. Even though we were on a "schedule," I never felt that we were rushed through it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter